Yorx FP-1010 triple-decker score

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2013
Upstate New York
Scored this Yorx FP-1010 triple-decker off eBay for the exorbitant sum of $9.50 (plus shipping) and I only bid a nickel over the start.

Yorx_triple_decker.JPG

Yorx_type_plate.JPG

Owner claims it's functional. We'll see soon enough. I'm kinda hoping Yorx cheaped out on the electronics enough so that all three decks can play at once. I had an all-in-one stereo of theirs (or of one of the cheapie brands) where the two decks would play together and had a bit of fun in mixing songs with it.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Such a mad design! I've got a minty black Schneider version of this...I love it's really 80's styling. The decks will play one after another...press play on all three and when the first one stops the next one starts and so on.

Congrats on a crazy box :-)

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Kick ass price! Sometimes these go for crazy money!

Yep, Yorx perfected the triple decker. I have a different 3 deck model, fun and cool and outrageous. SO 80's

TW5

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
:thumbsup:
I got a black one with a strap
from the thrift store :-)
these have no handle only strap :hmmm:

Jul 23, 2013
Upstate New York
It has arrived! In a nice long package...

les_box_grande.jpg

Apart from the previous owner's engraving it is in pretty good shape.

les_blasteur_des_longes.jpg

Alas the left speaker had died. This takes 4Ω speakers but all I had in its size were 8Ω. I hope this won't be too fatal for the thing. Will be a few weeks till I can get the money for new ones.

les_interior_mechanique.jpg

Belts were in fine fettle. I did have to adjust the motor speeds. The purple deck has its own motor and it was too slow. The green and peach decks are obliged to share - theirs was too fast. BTW, those two decks will play tapes simultaneously unless there's a tape playing in the purple deck. Nifty li'l blasteur de ghetteaux suburbane. I'll just have to get new speakers for it.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
What an unusual find - certainly a rarity! :-)

You can just imagine the conversation going on at Yorx headquarters back in the day:

"Well my fellow Yorx boombox designers, it's 1987 and the market is all about price, price, price.......For this new mini we're designing, the accountants have given us 3 format choices:

1. 1 deck and a powered sub
2. 2 decks and a proper Line In with spectrum analyser or
3. Triple tape decks....!

Well I agree guys, who wants a sub or a line in, and we all know 2 decks are never enough...

Triple decks it is!!!! :rock:

We're going to be famous!" :thumbsup:

James..... :-)

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
What an unusual find - certainly a rarity! :-)

You can just imagine the conversation going on at Yorx headquarters back in the day:

"Well my fellow Yorx boombox designers, it's 1987 and the market is all about price, price, price.......For this new mini we're designing, the accountants have given us 3 format choices:

1. 1 deck and a powered sub
2. 2 decks and a proper Line In with spectrum analyser or
3. Triple tape decks....!

Well I agree guys, who wants a sub or a line in, and we all know 2 decks are never enough...

Triple decks it is!!!! :rock:

We're going to be famous!" :thumbsup:

James..... :-)
Lol it is probably one of the most ridiculous ideas a boombox designer came up with!....but that why I like it :-)

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Ghetteaux Les Fabulous said:
But seriously... is having 8Ω speakers replace 4Ω speakers going to be a problem?
8 ohm speakers will not cause any problems for the Yorx. It won't sound as powerful with 8 ohm speakers though. Only if you go lower than the originally specified 4 ohm rating will extra stress be placed on the amps.

k2j

Member (SA)
Mar 28, 2011
West Coast
:lol: Just thinking what my friends would have said back in the day if I'd have shown up with one of those bad boys hanging off my shoulders. :lol: :lol: :lol: And to think we find them cool and collectible now :lol: :lol:

Jul 23, 2013
Upstate New York
k2j said:
:lol: Just thinking what my friends would have said back in the day if I'd have shown up with one of those bad boys hanging off my shoulders. :lol: :lol: :lol: And to think we find them cool and collectible now :lol: :lol:
Does seem to be a bit of a 'chick-box'. Not that that's necessarily a 'bad' thing...

(I'm pretty sure there's a boombox in the attached NSFW picture but damned if i can find it)

chickbox.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.