25 replies to this topic

#1 Maggots

Maggots
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:24 AM

Hi there,

Wondered if anybody can help me.

I have a frustrating issue with a Hitachi TRK-8080E boom box I brought from a car boot sale.

The seller informed me that the belt was broken and I brought it for £20 (after some haggling).

The radio works fine, picks up radio stations ect.

After removing the cover to I decided to tackle the tape player belt issue.

The sticky remains of the previous belt was wiped off the pulleys (horrid stuff) and I replaced both belts

with elastic bands as a temporary fix.

The bands work fine and pulleys move, no slippage. 

Even made a plastic cover to prevent the band from falling off the wheel (see white cover in picture).

The problem is I can not figure out why the tape reel is not moving?

Its eating my tapes.

The capspan roller works fine and the reel moves o.k with Fast Forward and rewind but will not turn.

I cant figure out why its not connecting to the drive when I press the play button?

I've been fiddling about for hours now but no solution, all I can think of is there may be some parts missing somewhere the seller has not told be about, please see picture.

Appreciate your help.

Attached Files

#2 Beosystem10

Beosystem10
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,807 posts
  • LocationUK. 55.7710° N

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:51 AM

What part of the UK are you posting from? I have an 8080 that realistically will never reach the top of the rebuild queue and owes me nothing so if you want that for parts, you'd be welcome to have it. The lack of takeup tension is probably a result of a bad idler tyre, an O ring can often be used as a substitute, depending on the aspect ratio and sectional width of the original tyre, mine has what appears to be decent rubber throughout and I know that I fitted correct belts but in that deck, the usual reed switch issues are preventing correct operation so I'm thinking you could build one good one from the two.

I see what you mean about the disc to prevent the belt from escaping. Interesting bodge but quite unnecessary with crown pulleys as a flat belt of the correct length would simply climb to the crown of the motor pulley and sit there, the flywheel is flat so that this belt can find its own level.

If you do want mine for bits, there are some things I'd keep back for other boxes but I'm sure we could get yours sorted and running.

#3 Maggots

Maggots
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

Hi John,

I'm from Eastbourne and would be interested if you are getting rid of your 8080, all I would need is the tape mechanism part of it.

Im sure there there is a part missing or part out of place, because when the play button is pressed there is no movement whatsoever to connect up the drive pulley to the tape reel wheel.

Not sure is you can or get a photograph of the inside where the mechanical parts are so I can compare it first.

Regards

Mark

#4 Brownlow

Brownlow
  • Members (SA)
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

Hi John,

As you're first in line, after you've got what you need, if Beosystem  has a handle that he would part with (actually, it might be youself I'll need to ask), I would be interested in having it.

#5 AE_Stereo

AE_Stereo
  • Members (SA)
  • 598 posts
  • LocationAbu Dhabi, UAE

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:53 PM

... flat belt of the correct length would simply climb to the crown of the motor pulley and sit there, the flywheel is flat so that this belt can find its own level....

I am always amazed by the sight of flat belts aligning themselves on the motor pulley and flywheel.

I think Maggots has the problem of belt escaping due to usage of a non-standard belt on his deck.

#6 Beosystem10

Beosystem10
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,807 posts
  • LocationUK. 55.7710° N

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

The belt will always find the crown of the pulley because it is thrown outwards as a product of its motion, but yes, it does look weird until you get used to it. I used to volunteer in an old machine shop that formed part of the display in an industrial museum and in there, everything was driven from overhead line shafts which used leather belts of about 6 inches in width. They were stapled at their joins and the noise those things made when they flapped around was terrible, but the skilled machine operators were quite adept at removing and replacing the belts when the pulleys were all running, simply by flicking a long wooden float in between the pulley and the belt to load or unload it. Today, when every machine is driven by its own motor and can be stopped or started by the simple use of one switch, people don't realise just how lucky they are. :lol:

Hi John,

I'm from Eastbourne and would be interested if you are getting rid of your 8080, all I would need is the tape mechanism part of it.

Im sure there there is a part missing or part out of place, because when the play button is pressed there is no movement whatsoever to connect up the drive pulley to the tape reel wheel.

Not sure is you can or get a photograph of the inside where the mechanical parts are so I can compare it first.

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

As you're first in line, after you've got what you need, if Beosystem  has a handle that he would part with (actually, it might be youself I'll need to ask), I would be interested in having it.

OK, ideally, I don't want to use up any more work space and lack the time to part it out so I'd sooner send the complete box to one person who could then take what they need while any other interested parties could perhaps liaise with the recipient to get the bits that they (the second person to express an interest in the box) would like from it. I do know that the handle is good but don't want to get into dismantling this one as I'm struggling to find the time to continue with the ongoing refurbishment of another member's boombox which has been with me for eight months already. In principle, this Hitachi of mine can provide both of you with what you need but could you perhaps work it out between you so that I can deal with one person about this please?

#7 Brownlow

Brownlow
  • Members (SA)
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:32 PM

Sounds reasonable enough to me.  I'll pick this up with Maggots.  Cheers

#8 sirkevinvonbboyin

sirkevinvonbboyin
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR USA

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

I rebelted an 8180 which has almost an identical configuration. The deck was very sensitive to belt sizes so first I would try to get real replacements for it. This pulley (highlighted in the picture) in particular has some free movement so it has to have the right amount of tension to be in the right position to engage the playback reel. If I remember correctly there is a gear or grip on the base of it or in that area that would move the playback reel.

With the play button enganged see if the counter belt moves when you spin the flywheel. If not, then that gear/grip isn't engaging. It could be the wrong tension on the belts, slipping, or just out of position.

I kind of hate the 8180 after working on it to be honest so I feel your pain. 

Attached Files

#9 Maggots

Maggots
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

O.K I will have another look at it, thank you for your help.

Yes this seems to be a nightmare as I have replaced belts with elastic bands in the past on tape decks with no problems.

#10 Lasonic TRC-920

Lasonic TRC-920
  • Moderators
  • 14,058 posts
  • LocationNaples, Italy

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:38 PM

I don;t think those are belts, they look like rubber bands!

#11 retrohead

retrohead
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:03 AM

i remember rebelting an 8080 once,it was a real nightmare,managed to get the correct belts off a member and just went for it but so many leads to unplug and re attatch in the right order and correctly that it nearly broke me lol-i hope you manage to get the deck going again because this is right up there as being one of the fiew old hitachis that actually sounds,well,amazing in my book :yes: good luck,and i hope you and john manage to get something sorted for it ;-)

#12 Beosystem10

Beosystem10
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,807 posts
  • LocationUK. 55.7710° N

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:04 AM

Si (Northerner) has the remains of the 8080 now as he needed some parts for his big Hitachi and the 8080 was getting under my feet.

The handle was still attached when I gave it to him in exchange for a bunch of cassette LPs and I'm sure it will provide many other useful parts. :-)

#13 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members (SA)
  • 4,889 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

Yep...most parts up for grabs...taken the battery door, deck door clips, aerials, and I'll take the knobs (always good to have a stock!) but anything else is up for grabs for free :-)

#14 hitapand

hitapand
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:54 AM

Did someone the data for the three belts for Hitachi TRK 8080?

Length, geometric shape, etc.

I want to order the three belts and I do not know witch one is good for this radio cassette.

Thank you.

#15 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,244 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 23 December 2018 - 07:09 PM

I am now working on re belting my TRK 8080.

Flywheel flat -10.1"

Main square - 10.5"

Counter - square 7.0

This is what the Russel Belt book says. 

I want to confirm it before I order. 

Any help with this is greatly appreciated!

~Royce

#16 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,986 posts
  • LocationHudson Florida

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:49 PM

I am now working on re belting my TRK 8080.

Flywheel flat -10.1"
Main square - 10.5"
Counter - square 7.0

This is what the Russel Belt book says.

I want to confirm it before I order.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated!

~Royce

Royce I think it’s correct but you may want to order 1 size up and down for each. I had done a restoration on one probably 7-8 years ago. Just make sure if you replace the counter belt that it’s not at all tight as these decks are sensitive to it

#17 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,244 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 23 December 2018 - 11:33 PM

Thanks Bill, I replaced the belts but something is wrong. Play mode is not working well with no torque on the take up
Reel axle. FF mode both reels are turning in opposite directions. I need to take a good look at it in the morning. Spend 6 hours on it. Radio works fantastic. Cannot hook power and see the deck in motion. Crazy wiring and all. Seems like contact wheels are slipping. Will work on it tomorrow morning. Royce

#18 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,244 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 24 December 2018 - 08:40 AM

Real nasty deck to work on :lol: :yes: Finally found the problem! Was a broken axle of the contact wheel assembly. It was a bit out of alignment, but thought it was like how it was designed. While moving it to a position where the play works I could see that the whole axle cannot stay at an angle. Later found the broken area of it.

#19 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,244 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 24 December 2018 - 02:24 PM

Now I have to find a part or a whole deck for this TRK 8080.

Here it is..... 

Attached Files

#20 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,244 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 25 December 2018 - 10:59 PM

Planning on threading the hole on the metal plate and put a screw for the axle the contact wheel assembly. Will go to ACE hardware for small threading tool. 

No room for threading tool tip to enter into the hole because of another plate below it. 

I had to give up on this deck fixing. Spend so much time on it. 

Korean seller has a deck but I had some bad experience from him. I would wait for a deck ....or a parts box. 

#21 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,244 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:55 AM

Spend like 5 hours straight working on the TRK 8080. Not an easy box to work on.

I got another deck but the motor pulleys and tape heads looked messed up. So had to swap the motor and and tape heads.

Now it won't do the play function. Rew and FF works fine. I still cannot figure out how the take up axle gets engaged in play mode. The contact wheels are not engaging to the gears on the take up reel axle. The axle freely moves when you turn with your hand and that is it.

I am going nuts!!   :bang:

I left it aside last night....before I go mad. 

#22 Atomtan

Atomtan
  • Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted 28 January 2019 - 01:04 PM

I feel your pain, you will probably see my threads where I have been working on one of these since last spring.  I think it must easily have 60 hours into it so far (its not about the box itself as I know many see them as low end, I just want to beat it)....

Last week, I thought i had cracked the final issue.  I took advice to clean and deoxit the record bar yet again, and it ran perfectly through 3 cassettes and I looked at it with great pride....fourth tape, the bad record bar symptoms returned again......I despaired, it returned to its shelf, but it will I am sure come back onto the bench again.

#23 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,244 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:19 PM

I feel your pain, you will probably see my threads where I have been working on one of these since last spring.  I think it must easily have 60 hours into it so far (its not about the box itself as I know many see them as low end, I just want to beat it)....

Last week, I thought i had cracked the final issue.  I took advice to clean and deoxit the record bar yet again, and it ran perfectly through 3 cassettes and I looked at it with great pride....fourth tape, the bad record bar symptoms returned again......I despaired, it returned to its shelf, but it will I am sure come back onto the bench again.

HI, Atomtan, I had to give up working on it for a while. Today I spend another 5 hours to put it all back together and hook up. REW works perfect FF kind of okay, but no play function. I used an old tape and momentarily I could see the both channels are working fine but take up axle won't turn to pull the tape in forward motion. 

Do you have a pic of the belt path on the deck? The play is not working at all. 

Luckily after all the swapping of deck, tape heads, motor the radio is all working fine on both channels. Very strong and clear reception. Except for some scratches, a few small dings on the top Aluminum panel, the box is in great shape. Radio reception in stereo mode is very nice. 

It was a real nightmare to take it all apart for the deck swap. Trust me this one comes next to Sanyo M9998 for difficulty in working on the box. Now I know all the connections by heart like that of Sanyo M9998. 

~Royce

#24 Atomtan

Atomtan
  • Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:02 PM

Royce, I have loads of pictures but not of the belts fitted. Looking at the pictures I do have (pre re-belting), the configuration shown in this thread (July 14) is correct. I found on mine, only the main belt had turned to goo and coated the brass motor wheel. It took hours to clean every spec of goo off. I purchased a kit for the 8080 here in the uk to replace all belts. I found the speed seemed wrong and swapped a couple of them for ones I had from an eBay mixed belt bag. I agree a previous post that the unit is very belt tension sensitive. It took three attempts and frustrating strip downs to get it to run right.

#25 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,244 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:49 AM

Royce, I have loads of pictures but not of the belts fitted. Looking at the pictures I do have (pre re-belting), the configuration shown in this thread (July 14) is correct. I found on mine, only the main belt had turned to goo and coated the brass motor wheel. It took hours to clean every spec of goo off. I purchased a kit for the 8080 here in the uk to replace all belts. I found the speed seemed wrong and swapped a couple of them for ones I had from an eBay mixed belt bag. I agree a previous post that the unit is very belt tension sensitive. It took three attempts and frustrating strip downs to get it to run right.

Hi Atoman, Thanks for your reply.

I also took so many pictures for future reference and help for the forum if someone has questions on wire connections and all.

I was playing with one old deck of the same to see how the take up axle works and was still unable to learn it. I thought I am good to work on decks because I've worked on so many decks including reel to reel and cassette decks. Now I know I am still on that learning curve. It makes me more humble! :-D  :yes:

If I am trying different belt tensions, which belt should I try with different tensions? Is it the one from the square belt from the flywheel axle to a white pulley? Thanks

~Royce

#26 Atomtan

Atomtan
  • Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted 01 February 2019 - 02:03 AM

Royce

Yes the belt you mention is the one I had issues with.  I find some new belts when you look carefully at their integrity is not great (they appear to run 'roughly') and are not what I would call true.  I also have an 8200 which I have owned from new and that is very belt tension sensitive also (though is a hell of a lot easier to work on). 

I'm not sure I can give any better advice on tension.  I tend to overspend and buy a belt kit for any box I am working on, with the intention they should be a 'near as possible' to the correct running diameter and tension.  With the 8200 the kit was perfect, with the 8080, when it messed around even with a new belt I laid out the one from the kit, and found ones from my random bag which by eye were close to the one from the kit.  Esentially, trial and error.

On the 8200 I found also never really figured how the take up axle physically worked.  The 8080 I got to run right, just have to decide how I can ever get the record bars to stay consistent for each channel.