Help with Hitachi TRK-8080E

Maggots

Member (SA)
Jul 6, 2014
Hi there,

Wondered if anybody can help me.

I have a frustrating issue with a Hitachi TRK-8080E boom box I brought from a car boot sale.

The seller informed me that the belt was broken and I brought it for £20 (after some haggling).

The radio works fine, picks up radio stations ect.

After removing the cover to I decided to tackle the tape player belt issue.
The sticky remains of the previous belt was wiped off the pulleys (horrid stuff) and I replaced both belts
with elastic bands as a temporary fix.

The bands work fine and pulleys move, no slippage.
Even made a plastic cover to prevent the band from falling off the wheel (see white cover in picture).

The problem is I can not figure out why the tape reel is not moving?

Its eating my tapes.

The capspan roller works fine and the reel moves o.k with Fast Forward and rewind but will not turn.
I cant figure out why its not connecting to the drive when I press the play button?

I've been fiddling about for hours now but no solution, all I can think of is there may be some parts missing somewhere the seller has not told be about, please see picture.

Appreciate your help.

Attachments

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
What part of the UK are you posting from? I have an 8080 that realistically will never reach the top of the rebuild queue and owes me nothing so if you want that for parts, you'd be welcome to have it. The lack of takeup tension is probably a result of a bad idler tyre, an O ring can often be used as a substitute, depending on the aspect ratio and sectional width of the original tyre, mine has what appears to be decent rubber throughout and I know that I fitted correct belts but in that deck, the usual reed switch issues are preventing correct operation so I'm thinking you could build one good one from the two.

I see what you mean about the disc to prevent the belt from escaping. Interesting bodge but quite unnecessary with crown pulleys as a flat belt of the correct length would simply climb to the crown of the motor pulley and sit there, the flywheel is flat so that this belt can find its own level.
If you do want mine for bits, there are some things I'd keep back for other boxes but I'm sure we could get yours sorted and running.

Maggots

Member (SA)
Jul 6, 2014
Hi John,

I'm from Eastbourne and would be interested if you are getting rid of your 8080, all I would need is the tape mechanism part of it.

Im sure there there is a part missing or part out of place, because when the play button is pressed there is no movement whatsoever to connect up the drive pulley to the tape reel wheel.

Not sure is you can or get a photograph of the inside where the mechanical parts are so I can compare it first.

Regards

Mark

Brownlow

Member (SA)
Jul 15, 2010
Hi John,

As you're first in line, after you've got what you need, if Beosystem has a handle that he would part with (actually, it might be youself I'll need to ask), I would be interested in having it.

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Beosystem10 said:
... flat belt of the correct length would simply climb to the crown of the motor pulley and sit there, the flywheel is flat so that this belt can find its own level....
I am always amazed by the sight of flat belts aligning themselves on the motor pulley and flywheel.
I think Maggots has the problem of belt escaping due to usage of a non-standard belt on his deck.

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
The belt will always find the crown of the pulley because it is thrown outwards as a product of its motion, but yes, it does look weird until you get used to it. I used to volunteer in an old machine shop that formed part of the display in an industrial museum and in there, everything was driven from overhead line shafts which used leather belts of about 6 inches in width. They were stapled at their joins and the noise those things made when they flapped around was terrible, but the skilled machine operators were quite adept at removing and replacing the belts when the pulleys were all running, simply by flicking a long wooden float in between the pulley and the belt to load or unload it. Today, when every machine is driven by its own motor and can be stopped or started by the simple use of one switch, people don't realise just how lucky they are. :lol:

Maggots said:
Hi John,

I'm from Eastbourne and would be interested if you are getting rid of your 8080, all I would need is the tape mechanism part of it.

Im sure there there is a part missing or part out of place, because when the play button is pressed there is no movement whatsoever to connect up the drive pulley to the tape reel wheel.

Not sure is you can or get a photograph of the inside where the mechanical parts are so I can compare it first.

Regards

Mark
Brownlow said:
Hi Mark,

As you're first in line, after you've got what you need, if Beosystem has a handle that he would part with (actually, it might be youself I'll need to ask), I would be interested in having it.
OK, ideally, I don't want to use up any more work space and lack the time to part it out so I'd sooner send the complete box to one person who could then take what they need while any other interested parties could perhaps liaise with the recipient to get the bits that they (the second person to express an interest in the box) would like from it. I do know that the handle is good but don't want to get into dismantling this one as I'm struggling to find the time to continue with the ongoing refurbishment of another member's boombox which has been with me for eight months already. In principle, this Hitachi of mine can provide both of you with what you need but could you perhaps work it out between you so that I can deal with one person about this please?

sirkevinvonbboyin

Apr 8, 2013
Portland, OR USA
I rebelted an 8180 which has almost an identical configuration. The deck was very sensitive to belt sizes so first I would try to get real replacements for it. This pulley (highlighted in the picture) in particular has some free movement so it has to have the right amount of tension to be in the right position to engage the playback reel. If I remember correctly there is a gear or grip on the base of it or in that area that would move the playback reel.

With the play button enganged see if the counter belt moves when you spin the flywheel. If not, then that gear/grip isn't engaging. It could be the wrong tension on the belts, slipping, or just out of position.

I kind of hate the 8180 after working on it to be honest so I feel your pain.

Attachments

Maggots

Member (SA)
Jul 6, 2014
O.K I will have another look at it, thank you for your help.

Yes this seems to be a nightmare as I have replaced belts with elastic bands in the past on tape decks with no problems.

retrohead

Member (SA)
May 29, 2010
United Kingdom
i remember rebelting an 8080 once,it was a real nightmare,managed to get the correct belts off a member and just went for it but so many leads to unplug and re attatch in the right order and correctly that it nearly broke me lol-i hope you manage to get the deck going again because this is right up there as being one of the fiew old hitachis that actually sounds,well,amazing in my book :yes: good luck,and i hope you and john manage to get something sorted for it ;-)

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Si (Northerner) has the remains of the 8080 now as he needed some parts for his big Hitachi and the 8080 was getting under my feet.

The handle was still attached when I gave it to him in exchange for a bunch of cassette LPs and I'm sure it will provide many other useful parts. :-)

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Yep...most parts up for grabs...taken the battery door, deck door clips, aerials, and I'll take the knobs (always good to have a stock!) but anything else is up for grabs for free :-)

hitapand

Member (SA)
Feb 8, 2015
Did someone the data for the three belts for Hitachi TRK 8080?
Length, geometric shape, etc.

I want to order the three belts and I do not know witch one is good for this radio cassette.

Thank you.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am now working on re belting my TRK 8080.

Flywheel flat -10.1"
Main square - 10.5"
Counter - square 7.0

This is what the Russel Belt book says.

I want to confirm it before I order.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated!

~Royce

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
BoomboxLover48 said:
I am now working on re belting my TRK 8080.

Flywheel flat -10.1"
Main square - 10.5"
Counter - square 7.0

This is what the Russel Belt book says.

I want to confirm it before I order.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated!

~Royce
Royce I think it’s correct but you may want to order 1 size up and down for each. I had done a restoration on one probably 7-8 years ago. Just make sure if you replace the counter belt that it’s not at all tight as these decks are sensitive to it

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks Bill, I replaced the belts but something is wrong. Play mode is not working well with no torque on the take up
Reel axle. FF mode both reels are turning in opposite directions. I need to take a good look at it in the morning. Spend 6 hours on it. Radio works fantastic. Cannot hook power and see the deck in motion. Crazy wiring and all. Seems like contact wheels are slipping. Will work on it tomorrow morning. Royce

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Real nasty deck to work on :lol: :yes: Finally found the problem! Was a broken axle of the contact wheel assembly. It was a bit out of alignment, but thought it was like how it was designed. While moving it to a position where the play works I could see that the whole axle cannot stay at an angle. Later found the broken area of it.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Planning on threading the hole on the metal plate and put a screw for the axle the contact wheel assembly. Will go to ACE hardware for small threading tool.

No room for threading tool tip to enter into the hole because of another plate below it.

I had to give up on this deck fixing. Spend so much time on it.

Korean seller has a deck but I had some bad experience from him. I would wait for a deck ....or a parts box.