Happy Birthday, Walkman!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
I think it is amazing how far personal music player have come. You can spend $1200 on a high end flac player of $40 on a Sansa clip and add Rockbox for a fantastic sounding little player. The list of available iem's is endless...and to think it all started with the Walkman and those orange sponge headphones.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
oldskool69 said:
Yep...it is amazing to see how long ago it actually happened. What is really neat is the patent arguments over who the real inventor was.
and that was just settled recently, in the last few years. Crazy....

mellymelsr said:
I think it is amazing how far personal music player have come. You can spend $1200 on a high end flac player of $40 on a Sansa clip and add Rockbox for a fantastic sounding little player. The list of available iem's is endless...and to think it all started with the Walkman and those orange sponge headphones.
I'm glad modern systems are offering sound quality options. Basic MP3 players rob the listener.

I still remember the first walkman aka I got for my birthday. Probably 1981-ish.

It was probably an Emerson or no name POS. My folks didn't have the money, but I loved it. It was by far the loudest thing I had ever heard to date. I hurt my ears with that thing. I would put it on par with a gun shoot or jet engine.

My mom was horrified the first time I walked into the room with them RIPPING! I was probably listening to Tom Sawyer or something!

The player it's self was a 3 button Play, FFW Stop. AM/FM

I have a few from that era and they are obscenely loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.