Sharp APLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

N98883

Member (SA)
May 30, 2014
Nuremberg, Germany
I found, bought and restored an Sharp GF8585X. It works very well and I'm happy to have such a nice machine. Unfortunately I have no manual and I don't know the function of the APLD system.
Can anybody tell me how does it works?

There is an unknown push button "Cut" . What is the function?
And the last question, on the left side is a switch "beat cancel". For what is it?

Thanks in advance,

Kai

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hi Kai,

Welcome to this beautiful forum! :hi: :hi:

APLD stands for advanced program locate device.

I am an old (~57) and aged member here but there are much more smarter and intelligent folks here.

basically once you turn the APLD on and select a number like #3 on the buttons and press play and FWD simultaneously it will scan and find the 3rd song on the tape from the place you started. If you begin from start it will pick the 3rd song.

If there is no sufficient audio signal gap this function might not work. There must be a certain amount of "no signal part" between songs.

So professionally recorded cassettes should work well.

Beat cut?

See think link...http://www.stereo2go.com/topic/what-means-beat-cut-

The frequency of the bias signal applied to the tape during recording of AM broadcasts interfers with the received signal and causes noise. The switch reduces or eliminates this effect. Most bbx models offer at least some form of beat cancel, (with the exception of the most basic), and many offer two or three position switches for this purpose.

1. BC Beat Cancel
2. BC Beat Cut
3. Beat Program (Position 1, 2)
4. BFC Beat Frequency Cancel
5. BFO Beat Frequency Oscillator
6. OSC Oscillator Control
7. RIF Radio Interference Filter
8. BP Beat Proof Function

Regardless of what it's called, (see a.k.a. list) they all perform the same function.

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
This forum could use a popup to tell us when someone has posted before we've got there. ;-)
Royce has, unsurprisingly, explained it fine so there'd be no point in my repeating his words. :blush:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Beosystem10 said:
This forum could use a popup to tell us when someone has posted before we've got there. ;-)
Royce has, unsurprisingly, explained it fine so there'd be no point in my repeating his words. :blush:
John is an expert here on this forum like superduper Norm!

He is very detail oriented and a true gentleman.

So blessed to have wonderful people like him on this site. :bow: :hooray:

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
I think the "Cut" button he might be referring to is the little button between the FWD and RWD. It interrupts the APLD search and allows you to stop FWD and RWD right there and plays the cassette.

Status
Not open for further replies.