Minty Sony CFS-9000 Boombox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb

Member (SA)
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto Canada
Here's my vintage Sony CFS-9000 Hi-Fi Boombox I got from a neighbour of mine having a contents sale. I got a good deal on it - FREE !
This sucker weighs a tonne for such a small boombox ! I believe these were made in 1986 or so.
Some key features:
- 5 band EQ
- LED Meters
- Autoreverse cassette
- Powerful 80 watts
- 7 Band Radio frequencies
- detachable speakers
- CD / AUX / Phono Inputs
- Battery Compartment
- 110v 120v / 220v / 240v voltage selector
- Made in Japan

Here's some pictures and video to show it is still in top not shape ! :)

http://youtu.be/CLENp3-L-q0

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Looks really clean!!!

I just scored one at the Midwest meet, and I love it!

hardmen

Member (SA)
Jul 20, 2010
Brazil
www.instagram.com
Mine arrives today, but I don't put my hands yet (I'm on train right now, going home)!!
Not for free ($100) but ok!!

Soon, some pics and video!!

Cheers!

Robb

Member (SA)
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto Canada
hardmen said:
Mine arrives today, but I don't put my hands yet (I'm on train right now, going home)!!
Not for free ($100) but ok!!

Soon, some pics and video!!

Cheers!
Did you post pics of it ?

Jul 23, 2013
Upstate New York
Dang... I remember reading in the popular electronics mags of back in the day about Sony's square-cone speakers and how not only they were the cats meow but the dogs bollocks as well. Also got to see a pair at Drome Sound (a local electronics boutique before the big box stores killed the species).

Actually found a pair of square-cone speakers in the wild and used them for a spell with my Sony Home Theater Betamax VCR. Sadly the foam disintegrated and they got tossed at some point.

My_SL-HFT7_outfit.jpg

PostEnder

Member (SA)
Nov 21, 2012
Southeastern U.S.A.
I know that virtually all worthwhile shortwave broadcasts are transmitted between 6.0 MHz and 18.0 MHz. But if only this splendid-looking Sony CFS-9000 had shortwave coverage going beyond those values! And how good it would be if the unit also came equipped with a fine-tuning knob to enhance often-spotty shortwave reception. Then one would applaud the Sony CFS-9000 as a king among the single-cassette-deck (and, yes, three-piece) boomboxes. The 52W power-output value stated on the information plate behind the unit suggests that, at its loudest (at room temperature and sea level), the Sony CFS-9000 would produce a daunting sound-intensity level of 116.6-odd decibels (dB) at a 3-metre distance -- if, of course, my physics math isn't way off-course :-D .

But all in all, assuming the CFS-9000 doesn't come equipped with some sort of stealthy fine-tuning control that I am yet to notice: good going, Robb! A fine find :yes: .

Robb

Member (SA)
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto Canada
oldskool69 said:
Robb...you are a member of a special group. I gave mine away at the Mid-West Meet and Blu got it. Now he knows like others about packing 10lbs of power into a 5lb bag. :afro:
haha.. indeed.

Line Out

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2012
Finland
PostEnder said:
"The 52W power-output value stated on the information plate behind the unit suggests that..."
Remember, the value is the maximum power-input. Not output. A guick rule of thumb is to divide it by two (traditional amplifiers have about 50-60% efficiency), so 26W minus other electronics on board.. So it should have at least 10W per channel with AC.

Status
Not open for further replies.