*Weird Sanyo M9998K deck fault*

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Hi Guys,

Well I've got to admit to giving my newly acquired and fantastic sounding Sanyo M9998K a real workout over the past month or so - you know what they say, 'Use it or loose it'! :stereo:
View attachment 8456
As fellow owners of fulling working M9998Ks will agree, the best part of this model is the deck. Although the tuner sounds nice and the line in works ok (although slightly lower sensitivity than other boxes), both don't compare to the sound quality of the tape deck. :rock:

This Sanyo is also my 'recording deck' to produce tapes for my other boxes to play. The sound level and quality is just so spot on - even with my crappy TDK D90 tapes!

Anyway, through all of this use, a 'fault' as developed with the deck. One day, after rewinding and then playing a tape, I noticed the left cog was allowing the tape insides to flop around. This didn't affect playing a tape but I could no longer rewind a tape. Of course, this fault had to develop the day I was over at Scotty's place for a mini meet! Turns out the reel plate assembly (supply side) drive cog had shattered (3 pieces). It was a strange fault as the part had split into the 3 pieces that had then fallen neatly into the bottom of the box without leaving a trace! :hmmm:

I then remembered receiving my first M9998K when I first started collecting. I noticed that both of these parts were missing from that deck too. All you could see was the spring and the 'plug' that once held the now missing part in place.

Anyway, when I got home I raided my 2nd M9998K (another parts box) for a replacement part. Ok, part fitted and everything's fine now right?---- Actually no, as this replacement part did the same trick - that's right, after 10 minutes of use, it split into 3 neat pieces that also fell into the bottom of the case! :thumbsdown: Ok, don't panic James, just fit your last part from the parts box and your luck will surely change! Whilst fitting the 3rd replacement part, I managed to drop the 'plug' part that retains everything into the case! :-/ I grabbed a plug from my parts box - no go, it's a slightly different part and doesn't fit! Anyway, after I pulled and then replaced the chassis, I've now got my lost part plus six pieces of broken plastic. Ok, after re-fitting the plug, and then playing and then rewinding a tape, I now had a third part cracked and lying in the bottom of the case! :bang:

I carefully checked to see if something else in the deck mechanism was amiss thus causing the broken parts but everything looked perfect. So I parked up the big Sanyo whilst I searched for a replacement part. After having no luck sourcing this super rare part, I sort of gave up on the old girl :'-(

Until today that is. Whilst I was doing a workshop clean up, I went to move my National RX-C48F parts box and decided to take a quick look at the deck.
View attachment 8458

I'd checked all my other Sanyo boxes for a replacement part for the M9998K but no luck. Turns out, I hadn't bothered to check a Panasonic for this part....... Yes, the deck part needed from this particular model National/Panasonic is identical in appearance and size to the Sanyo part! :clap:
National deck:
View attachment 8457
The only difference being, the quality of the plastic of the Panny part is superior. I had noticed that the Sanyo part was sort of soft when you put slight pressure on it. The Panny part is solid as a rock in comparison. All the other parts (plug, spring etc) are different but the drive cog part is identical.

So the Sanyo has now played 10 tapes non stop and is working a charm.
View attachment 8455

So on the off chance that other members experience the same weird fault with their M9998, forget hitting up your other Sanyo model units for the part (none fit), one of your Pannys might just save the day!! :lol:

James.... :-)

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Wow! :jawdrop:
Who would have thought that rare model panny had that part!
Great job! :rock:

It is never easy looking for replacement parts for decks.
Any parts or springs falling down inside always scare me..

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Some of those 90 min. tapes can put a helluva strain on a deck. And the older they are, the tougher they are to spin. Add that to a 36 year old piece of plastic, and you've got a built-in failure.

Great fix! :thumbsup:

I wonder if other Panny model spindles will work, too. :hmmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.