looking for MAXELL RR 5000 (or similar) schematics

augustin

Apr 18, 2014
thanks john, I'll take a look at that. Is it actually the Hitachi-Maxell brand? the 'maxell' logo shape on the frontal cover looks indeed
different vs the official one..

Any other hints will be useful.

bye.

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Ah! Good point, I hadn't paid sufficient attention to the logo on your boombox but cannot find anything else like it, the few other Maxell brand hifi components and audio systems that are represented in image searches use the same logo as the cassette tapes, the batteries and the modern sound bars that they market.
It was the style of your box that initially put me in mind of the Hitachi connection though - those speaker grilles in particular resemble those of a Hitachi that I've seen and it's bugging me that I'm not finding a picture of the one to which I'm referring. :blush:

I believe that if the answer is to be found anywhere in cyberspace, then this forum right here is as likely a place to find it as anywhere else because someone is sure to know. Meanwhile, I'll continue searching for confirmation or otherwise of the Hitachi connection as it's stuck in my mind now. ;-)

Does the Hitachi label appear on any of the parts of your box? Speaker magnets? circuit boards? Motor? (though lots of machines from a range of manufacturers would have been supplied with Sankyo motors).

augustin

Apr 18, 2014
john, thanks for your reply and for your time.
not able to look at specific references to known brands anywhere inside, I took some additional pictures in case somebody has ideas. The overall build quality looks actually poor, particularly the components assembly and soldering, funny to see they have scraped off the marking from the top of all the ICs,
anyway after more than 30 years it is still alive.
Again, any suggestion is appreciated. bye

Attachments

augustin

Apr 18, 2014
"It was the style of your box that initially put me in mind of the Hitachi connection though - those speaker grilles in particular resemble those of a Hitachi that I've seen and it's bugging me that I'm not finding a picture of the one to which I'm referring.
"

TRK-8020H?

it looks similar but it is a FM/AM 2 band only, different electronics.

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Yes, but the TRK8020E has four bands ;-) and I do believe that you have found the answer to the question of which Hitachi is the AKA to your radio! :thumbsup: The H only has one AM band (Medium) as you said, but the 8020E has three AM bands plus VHF on FM, enough of my patter, here's a picture:

There you go, now all we need is for someone to take the back off their 8020 to compare the innards.
There are going to be some differences, but the basics are quite likely to be the same, apart from that microphone socket and its trimmer.

augustin

Apr 18, 2014
great, indeed they look quite similar! Probably they do not share the same pcb board because the location of the potentiometers and other little details do not match, but I'd be happy if at least they have the same component ICs which can't be easily identified on my board. As you said, if someone has one of these (TRK-7000E, TRK-7011E, TRK-7200ER, TRK-7250E and maybe others, they look also similar to mine) and he can post some picture of the internal components or even share the schematics it would be perfect.

thanks again john and happy Easter.

augustin

Apr 18, 2014
looking again to this after a long time, the Maxell RR 5000 unit is a rebranded Contec 8080 model. Schematics or service manual not yet found..

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:44181]