#31 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,226 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:41 PM

Big thanks to James for this lthread.  :thumbsup:

You are awesome! :bow:  :bow:  :bow:

The instructions were elaborate and easy to follow. It works like a charm!

I just finished one of my 680 for the line in modification. I had a audio video RCA line in socket from an old dish reciever (I'm a pack rat). It had a center screw perfect for mounting to the rear of 680. 

Attached Files

#32 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,543 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:50 PM

Nice one!! The 680 is definately a box that's worth upgrading to a line in box!

Well done! :-) Can't believe this thread is almost 2 1/2 years old!

To all the naysayers out there, the RCA mod rocks so get stuck in - it's easy! :lol:

James... :-)

#33 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,226 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:42 AM

Nice one!! The 680 is definitely a box that's worth upgrading to a line in box!

Well done! :-) Can't believe this thread is almost 2 1/2 years old!

To all the naysayers out there, the RCA mod rocks so get stuck in - it's easy! :lol:

James... :-)

Thanks so much! :bow: I agree 100% with James! :yes:  :yes: Plus line it sounds the BEST! :rock:

It got a wireless remote too!  :-D

Made in 1994 so no recapping needed in the near future! :thumbsup:

A blue tooth upgrade will take it to the victory stand! My 680 love continues..

#34 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationSleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:34 AM

Nice work, BoomboxLover48:thumbsup:   Maybe, one day, I'll pluck up the courage.to be as adventurous. :yes:

#35 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,226 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:34 PM

Nice work, BoomboxLover48:thumbsup:   Maybe, one day, I'll pluck up the courage.to be as adventurous. :yes:

Thanks Christine! Credit goes to James. :yes: What do I know?

I waited enough to gain some courage to open it and work. Since I had two of them that itself gave more courage! :yes:  :-D

Since it is a 90's box I knew things can go haywire because it is more advanced and sophisticated. The front face comes out easily once you remove all the screws from the back, open up the battery compartment also which got two more. For soldering one needs steady hands and a nice pointed tip. If you coat the wire tips with solder already and clean the solder tips after each soldering job things get easy. 

I cannot stop listening to 680 now because of its nice bass at low volume. I never get yelled at in the morning for playing music loud and shake the floors. :w00t:  :lol:  :lol: I will do that when no one is home. Blast it from my home stereo and dance like a caveman!

#36 amadeus

amadeus
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationЕвпатория

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:41 PM

Greetings friends. Sorry for the bad English, because I'm from the Crimea.
Today finished remaking its Panasonic RX-DT680. Used to modify the block 4 PCA (two cut unnecessary).

Kolodka4gn_7269520_22929975.jpg
The wire used DAXX S54-1M, it is made of oxygen-free copper veins.

daxxs54lar_8740707_22929977.jpg

I put it in the middle of the ferrite ring, so there was less interference.

ferritovoe_8618380_22929984.jpg
I connected to the bus wiring from a cassette deck unit
Through iBasso DX50 amazing sound)) :bow:
Many thanks for the work done jimmyjimmy19702010. :thumbsup:

#37 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,226 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

Greetings friends. Sorry for the bad English, because I'm from the Crimea.
Today finished remaking its Panasonic RX-DT680. Used to modify the block 4 PCA (two cut unnecessary).

Kolodka4gn_7269520_22929975.jpg
The wire used DAXX S54-1M, it is made of oxygen-free copper veins.

daxxs54lar_8740707_22929977.jpg

I put it in the middle of the ferrite ring, so there was less interference.

ferritovoe_8618380_22929984.jpg
I connected to the bus wiring from a cassette deck unit
Through iBasso DX50 amazing sound)) :bow:
Many thanks for the work done jimmyjimmy19702010. :thumbsup:

Good job! Welcome to this beautiful forum on Planet Earth!

Please visit often and interact with all of us.

Cheers!

~Royce

#38 tapemaster1.875

tapemaster1.875
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOregon, United States

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:21 PM

This worked out amazingly on mine! I've had this boombox for 4 years now, and I've always loved the sound of it, but was disappointed that it had no inputs. I used a tape adapter for my Iphone, but that causes hiss and runs the tape motor, wasting batteries and putting wear on the tape mech. I just wired it like u said and it's as clean sounding as the CD player! Kind of interesting when u play a tape with a device plugged in to the new ports, u can barely hear the tape, but when u unplug the device, tape sound comes back normally. Doesnt bother me none. I love this mod! 

#39 cattlethief1

cattlethief1
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:26 PM

Hello! First post just to say thanks for this mod,just completed and sounds amazing with my APTX receiver and chromecast,this was one of the main reasons I joined this site!Nice one. :rock:

Got a DS660 coming next week,hopefully do the same with that. :-D

#40 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:59 AM

Hello! First post just to say thanks for this mod,just completed and sounds amazing with my APTX receiver and chromecast,this was one of the main reasons I joined this site!Nice one. :rock:
Got a DS660 coming next week,hopefully do the same with that. :-D

Nice work cattlethief1,

Thanks for letting us know of your success,

Enjoy,

James..... :-)

#41 mopar300m

mopar300m
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:10 PM

I just got a 680 and I'm definitely going to add a line in. It seems very straightforward but i have a few questions before I start. There are no decoupling capacitors on the input, are there some further down the circuit? My next question concerns input impedance. Reading the previous posts it seems like a low impedance headphone source gives great results. How does the line input deal with a higher impedance source, like a line output on a CD player?

This is unrelated to the line in mod. I noticed a pair of CA4066 IC's that I assume are for source switching. These chips are known to add a significant about of distortion to the switched signal. Maxim makes a new version with much better specs, however there are some issues with compatibility. Has anyone tried swapping these chips?

#42 Shortstuff

Shortstuff
  • Members (SA)
  • 50 posts
  • LocationWoodinville, Wa.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:39 AM

SURE this is an OLDE' post so I have to ADD/ Chime in,,, I have an RX DT690 I got from a salvage pile....

CD player does NOT read/play but the radio is a cranker! Only thing is a downfall,, NO balance adjustment on this box its bassy, and has great high notes... It has a 4 band EQ (weird) with an independant Bass knob but does the job well!!

#43 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 12:53 AM

Hi Guys,

I've had some people requesting me to re-post the original photos in this thread but they're long lost.

I've just completed another line-in mod for the Panasonic RX-DT680 for a local member. I've taken the opportunity to take some fresh pictures during the process to replace the previously deleted original photos. The colours of the wiring and the type of RCA input panel has been updated to reflect the parts I’m now using.

James...... :-)

#44 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,226 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:52 PM

Hi Guys,

I've had some people requesting me to re-post the original photos in this thread but they're long lost.

I've just completed another line-in mod for the Panasonic RX-DT680 for a local member. I've taken the opportunity to take some fresh pictures during the process to replace the previously deleted original photos. The colours of the wiring and the type of RCA input panel has been updated to reflect the parts I’m now using.

Hi James, They are all here.... I don't see anything missing here now ~Royce

#45 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:19 PM

Hi Guys,

Hi James, They are all here.... I don't see anything missing here now ~Royce
Hi Royce, I inserted the new pics into the 1st post so they’re all new pics and the text has been revised also.

James..... :-)

#46 paul2000

paul2000
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 January 2019 - 05:01 AM

Hey mate, g'day from WA...just wanted to say cheers for the walkthrough. I knew this mod existed but was too lazy so was just using the data cd and CD out line in hack. Totally worth doing - Massive difference in volume , at least fivefold. would not be out of place hooked up to a TV for movies or gaming.

I love this unit - Back in 1991 i saved up my hard earned from my part time job and added birthday / christmas cash and bought the 680 brand new when i was 11 years old. It was around $500 if i recall- a lot of coin for a young fella even without inflation. It has pretty much always been in use since - probably the best value purchase ive ever made - most recently as a kitchen/backroom radio.

Ive had so many good times with this unit - its been with me through every music phase ive been through, as well as a TV sound system for a few years. The mod has sparked my interest in it yet again - im now thinking of rigging a rechargeable 7AH SLA motorbike battery to really trick it out!

Anyone out there who comes across this unit on the cheap, dont hesitate. After nearly 30 years of thrashing, the CD / radio / all buttons / RC work perfect. One Tape deck works ok, one has seized up, but im pretty sure if i ripped them apart and oiled them up theyd be fine too.

Thanks again mate

Attached Files

#47 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:54 AM

Nice work and congrats on completing the mod. It’s about time your CD player had a break!

Enjoy,

James.....’:-)

#48 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,226 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 23 January 2019 - 01:05 PM

James is AWESOME! :thumbsup:  :bow:

I am watching AO and was thinking of our brothers from AU.

I am falling in love with Australia! :-D  :yes:

#49 nerkus1

nerkus1
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationKaunas, Lithuania

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:25 PM

Hello guys,

Joined this forum, because I love Panasonic boomboxes from 90's. Now I have RX-CT980 and just purchased RX-DT670. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a line in. So I tried to do according to this mod for DT680, and worked out :)

Actually, I soldered audio cable with 3,5mm jack on the other side and connected it to the bluetooth module. 

Everything is working great, just equalizer is not making any influence while I am streaming music from PC or Android? 
Is it the same on your moded Panys ??

P.S. Greetings from Lithuania!

#50 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:44 PM

Hello guys,

Joined this forum, because I love Panasonic boomboxes from 90's. Now I have RX-CT980 and just purchased RX-DT670. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a line in. So I tried to do according to this mod for DT680, and worked out :)

Actually, I soldered audio cable with 3,5mm jack on the other side and connected it to the bluetooth module.

Everything is working great, just equalizer is not making any influence while I am streaming music from PC or Android?
Is it the same on your moded
P.S. Greetings from Lithuania!

The Panny equaliser isn’t working whilst using your line-in? Hmm, if that’s the case, it sounds like your unit has an issue that doesn’t sound related to your mod.

#51 nerkus1

nerkus1
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:06 AM

It is working in stereo, bass is good and so on, but equalizer doesn't work. Balance control is ok. I am using some additional equalizers, like on spotify. Maybe I made mistake while soldering?  :hmmm:

But it does work when I'm using radio or cd.

#52 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:55 PM

It is working in stereo, bass is good and so on, but equalizer doesn't work. Balance control is ok. I am using some additional equalizers, like on spotify. Maybe I made mistake while soldering?  :hmmm:
But it does work when I'm using radio or cd.

Definitely something wrong here. The mod only taps into the tape circuit and has no interaction with the equaliser circuitry!?

#53 nerkus1

nerkus1
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:09 AM

I'll try to check the wires once again.

Thanks jimmyjimmy19702010 for your help !

#54 nerkus1

nerkus1
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:15 PM

It appears that I connected my aux cable to the line out instead of line in. I had to solder to the contacts 4 and 6. When I changed it, equalizer is working :)

RX-DT670 does have same W301 contacts, but it's slightly different way to tap into the tape circuit.

Attached File  2019-06-12_22h46_36.jpg   58.82K   10 downloads

#55 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 10,803 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee, U.S.A.

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:00 PM

Glad you got it sorted and working, nerkus!  Now, enjoy it!  :breakdance:

#56 Vrece72

Vrece72
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:03 AM

Hi there!

By any chance this will work on a DT610? 

It has 12 wires on the w301 connctor. What wires do i need to solder there?

Thanks!

#57 Thedood

Thedood
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:30 PM

Just installed mod with a 3.5mm connector so I can play an iPhone or Android through it.  Sounds great! volume needs to be turned up a little louder than Radio or CD to achieve the same volume.  There was a nice recessed hole to locate it and I used a three wire strand from an old PC fan.

Attached Files