• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#31 Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller
  • Members
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg, Russia

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:59 AM

Toshiba knew just where to place the chrome, the knobs and the switches! BEAUTIFUL radio's!

It is indeed.

That's my 9990 - great stereo machine.

:-)

http://www.shizaudio...lets-s-ostrovov

I was just wondering if there were any advance on clearing up a mystery of the Champagne BomBeat 40? 

#32 Ghettoboom767

Ghettoboom767
  • Members
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationN.W. Tn.

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:01 PM

Very very cool thread!! I'm just grateful to own A Toshiba WX-1!!
Love the looks of the 40,Ira showed us the first that I know of!!!:);)

#33 stereomad

stereomad
  • Members
  • 382 posts
  • Locationcrawley

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:16 AM

i know the guy that owns this and although iv never seen it in the flesh i know someone that has and apparently it's genuine....im not so sure tbh

here is a pic of my bb40 that i got off the same guy....enjoy

003.JPG

#34 Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller
  • Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:43 PM

here is a pic of my bb40 that i got off the same guy....enjoy

Great beast, impressive!  :-)

#35 Zippy

Zippy
  • Members
  • 893 posts
  • LocationHannover, Germany

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:16 PM

There's another chamagne Bombeat 40 at Radio Hier.

Also, have you noticed the 3-way speaker signs are on the chamapagne bb40's grills instead of next to the level meters? Another minor difference.

#36 Cpl-Chronic

Cpl-Chronic
  • Members
  • 1,890 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:13 AM

I think it's a custom paint job.  If you blow the picture up, you notice the control panel is pretty scratched up but the paint is immaculate. There's your clue right there & I bet it was claimed to be original to drive the price up by an unscrupulous seller. 

Also, the badges for the 3-way system on the black edition, correspond with the extra goofy logos, ad-hock added & do NOT make sense.  3 Toshiba badges?  Obvioulsy, the added logos & badges are probably hiding dings, etc, that the paint couldn't hide.

The whole thing screams CON-job to me for sure & I wouldn't pay very much for this radio at all....

Cpl

#37 mmcodomino

mmcodomino
  • Members
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:26 PM

There's another chamagne Bombeat 40 at Radio Hier.

Also, have you noticed the 3-way speaker signs are on the chamapagne bb40's grills instead of next to the level meters? Another minor difference.

RadioHier actually got the very one in the picture. It used to belong to a UK collector.
I really wish for it to be original but at the moment I would say it is a custom job...

Good to see this thread come back to life though :)

#38 Beosystem10

Beosystem10
  • Members
  • 1,807 posts
  • LocationUK. 55.7710° N

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:36 PM

I never heard back from Fenwicks' or Harrods so it's safe to assume that they don't care either way. :-/

#39 Cpl-Chronic

Cpl-Chronic
  • Members
  • 1,890 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:57 PM

I never heard back from Fenwicks' or Harrods so it's safe to assume that they don't care either way. :-/

Neither do I really....just a curiosity but I'm pretty sure it's a con if someone is claiming it as a factory 1-off.  The scratched control panel & extra badges are your big clues....

#40 Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller
  • Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:36 AM

RadioHier actually got the very one in the picture. It used to belong to a UK collector.
I really wish for it to be original but at the moment I would say it is a custom job...

Good to see this thread come back to life though :)

Yep, very interesting thread. I read the whole story and as far as I got RadioHier was deep into this hobby, he didn't just happen to be an outsider, I am just wondering why he seem to be not interested in revealing this mystery?  :-)

#41 Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller
  • Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:02 AM

Just saw the picture of the silver version.

Attached File  Toshiba RT-S913.jpg   27.04K   19 downloads

#42 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,625 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:41 AM

If it's custom, why is it green under the LED meters as well as the LEDs on the tuner dial?  Those are painted sections underneath the glass.  He would have had to create custom green labels to cover them with.  A lot of photoshop work.  Yes it could be done, but Litfan didn't strike me as the type of person who would spend a lot of time doing something so trivial like that.

#43 systemaddict

systemaddict
  • Members
  • 1,402 posts
  • LocationEast Coast England

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:04 PM

If it's custom, why is it green under the LED meters as well as the LEDs on the tuner dial?  Those are painted sections underneath the glass.  He would have had to create custom green labels to cover them with.  A lot of photoshop work.  Yes it could be done, but Litfan didn't strike me as the type of person who would spend a lot of time doing something so trivial like that.

Just thought I would jump in here :-) I agree with you Reli, not only is the led section green, but if you look carefully.... the whole tuner display has green running through it. I would say defo original :yes:

#44 monchito

monchito
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,599 posts
  • Locationpythonville florida

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:31 PM

yes Toshiba have made 2 or 3 different versions of some of there boxes so I really do not see why it would have been impossible for them to had made a silver version of the bb40 even the bombeat 12 that I have is silver with black radio dial background and red tweeters and there was a black version of the same box it was not called bombeat12 had the silver radio dial background and black tweeters so yes I believe there were 2 version of this box it could have been a special edition with a very small number of them :yes:  :yes:  :-)

#45 systemaddict

systemaddict
  • Members
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:38 PM

yes Toshiba have made 2 or 3 different versions of some of there boxes so I really do not see why it would have been impossible for them to had made a silver version of the bb40 even the bombeat 12 that I have is silver with black radio dial background and red tweeters and there was a black version of the same box it was not called bombeat12 had the silver radio dial background and black tweeters so yes I believe there were 2 version of this box it could have been a special edition with a very small number of them :yes:  :yes:  :-)

I have this version monchito, is this the one you mean? it's the toshiba rt8560 :yes:Attached File  unisef sz5000 191.jpg   56.41K   5 downloads

#46 monchito

monchito
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,599 posts
  • Locationpythonville florida

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:12 PM

yes I have that one with the red tweeters and the black radio dial background, there is a black version I will see if I got a pic of it that's a nice one mine is in not of a good shape hopefully if I find a parts box I could make a good one..

#47 Gluecifer

Gluecifer
  • Moderators
  • 3,561 posts
  • LocationBelmont, Australia

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:21 AM

... it's not a custom.

Rock On.

#48 systemaddict

systemaddict
  • Members
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:39 AM

yes I have that one with the red tweeters and the black radio dial background, there is a black version I will see if I got a pic of it that's a nice one mine is in not of a good shape hopefully if I find a parts box I could make a good one..

Tbh it's not in the best shape, about an 8 out of 10, but very well made and great sound for a small box :yes:

#49 Beosystem10

Beosystem10
  • Members
  • 1,807 posts
  • LocationUK. 55.7710° N

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:47 AM

... it's not a custom.

Rock On.

That's the post I've been waiting for! Rick has said it, therefore it's fact! :yes:

#50 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,161 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:21 AM

I agree it's original.........
Now find me a black one. :-)

#51 mmcodomino

mmcodomino
  • Members
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:42 PM

The green graphics behind the glass absolutely speak against the idea that it could be a custom as I mentioned in the first post.

I really don't know what to think...I'm just waiting for a second one to pop up somewhere...I doubt that it is a one-of-a-kind factory job.

Custom or not - it's a beautiful machine :)

#52 Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller
  • Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:06 AM

Custom or not - it's a beautiful machine :)

Yep!  :-)

But on pics I like the black one more.

#53 Gluecifer

Gluecifer
  • Moderators
  • 3,561 posts
  • LocationBelmont, Australia

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:37 AM

That's the post I've been waiting for! Rick has said it, therefore it's fact! :yes:

Hahah, just re-iterating my stance from my post on the first page of this thread!

Rock On.

#54 Zippy

Zippy
  • Members
  • 893 posts
  • LocationHannover, Germany

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:44 AM

Another one has popped up on Boomboxery facebook. Take that you non-believers  :-P

#55 mmcodomino

mmcodomino
  • Members
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:03 AM

Another one has popped up on Boomboxery facebook. Take that you non-believers  :-P

Was just about to post that. Case closed.  :-D

Now to the next problem - where to find one  :lol:  

#56 80spepa

80spepa
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:41 PM

... here is ;)

h

#57 Beosystem10

Beosystem10
  • Members
  • 1,807 posts
  • LocationUK. 55.7710° N

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:38 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :rock:

#58 stereomad

stereomad
  • Members
  • 382 posts
  • Locationcrawley

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:54 PM

Tbh..... Yer it's more rare than the standard bb40 but it's no way as nice.... I think the silver one looks thrown together!

#59 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,625 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:57 PM

I've seen the black one so often that if I ever got one, I'd paint it something else.....like british racing green or something.

#60 Lasonic TRC-920

Lasonic TRC-920
  • Moderators
  • 13,257 posts
  • LocationNaples, Italy

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:07 PM

I've seen the black one so often that if I ever got one, I'd paint it something else.....like british racing green or something.

Now that would be sweet

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bombeat 40, toshiba, rt-s913