• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 =ml=

=ml=
  • Members (SA)
  • 686 posts
  • LocationE-Rock (Eagle Rock, L.A.)

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

I picked up a Sharp CT-6001 recently and of course the cassette deck doesn't work - which is fine. What isn't fine is that the deck motor constantly runs and makes quite a racket. The tape spindles do not move and the Pause button will not depress at all. Anyone have a CT-6001 or have any suggestions on how to quiet the motor? :hmmm:

Attached File  CT-6001.jpg   124.3K   32 downloads

I'll post some pictures of the insides once I crack it open this weekend. Until then here are a couple videos I found:

BTW, this beast requires 12 D batteries!  :w00t:

Happy Holidaze!

=ml=

#2 JustCruisin

JustCruisin
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,098 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:22 PM

That is awesome! I had a Sharp tv box that the belts were replaced and deck worked fine, but also had a motor constantly running sound too..?

#3 k2j

k2j
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,246 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

Dibs.  Double Dibs.

Seriously. :drool:

Dibs

#4 Ken

Ken
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,327 posts
  • LocationBremerton, WA, USA

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:35 AM

Dibs.  Double Dibs.

Seriously. :drool:

Dibs

Ok, ok...  :lol:

#5 k2j

k2j
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,246 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

Ok, ok...  :lol:

It would look so good next to my 5P-37G!!

Regarding the cassette motor issue.  Could be a micro switch in the play circuitry that is stuck closed.  Like for instance the tape belt broke when the mechanism was in the play mode and a gear is turned such that the motor engage micro switch is pushed on.

Attached Files

#6 oldskool69

oldskool69
  • Moderators
  • 6,791 posts
  • Location'Bama!!! Deep In Da' Heart O' Dixie

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:43 PM

You've got quite a rare bird! Congrats first, and is it missing some keys? :-)

#7 =ml=

=ml=
  • Members (SA)
  • 686 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:39 AM

That is awesome! I had a Sharp tv box that the belts were replaced and deck worked fine, but also had a motor constantly running sound too..?

Thanks! :-) :hmmm: So maybe it's a known issue. I'll hunt around and see if I can locate any information about it.

It would look so good next to my 5P-37G!!

Regarding the cassette motor issue.  Could be a micro switch in the play circuitry that is stuck closed.  Like for instance the tape belt broke when the mechanism was in the play mode and a gear is turned such that the motor engage micro switch is pushed on.

Yes it would. :-) If I decide to sell it I'll let you know.

The micro-switch is a great tip. It's going to be in a show soon and the speakers drown out the motor so I won't do anything to it until after the show.

You've got quite a rare bird! Congrats first, and is it missing some keys?  :-)

Thanks! It was a crap shoot that worked.  :yes:

I've got a variable RF modulator on order to convert US UHF 14 to Japanese UHF 13. I really need the TV to accept a signal from a device with RCA outputs. So far, via the antennas, I've seen ghost images and heard audio, so I'm hopeful that the modulator will make it happen.

As far as the keys, not that I can see (the cassette keys are small metal pushbuttons that have very little travel). I thought one of the video adjustment knobs was missing but it turns out it's a gamma pot that you need to set-n-forget with a screwdriver.  :-)

Attached File  ct-6001-video-controls-en.jpg   332.81K   34 downloads

Go!

=ml=

#8 k2j

k2j
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,246 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:54 AM

Nice pic of the side labeled! 

Can you post a picture of the antenna input plug?  Mine has a strange plug that I have been unable to find an antenna plug that will work :sad: Nothing, I'd like to hook up RCA's on this one, but without any kind of box-mods of course.

cheers!

#9 =ml=

=ml=
  • Members (SA)
  • 686 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

Nice pic of the side labeled! 

Can you post a picture of the antenna input plug?  Mine has a strange plug that I have been unable to find an antenna plug that will work :sad: Nothing, I'd like to hook up RCA's on this one, but without any kind of box-mods of course.

cheers!

Here ya go:

Attached File  ct-6001-rf-hookups.jpg   52.73K   33 downloads

And here's a bit of The Wire playing through it:

I needed these to make it work:

Variable RF Modulator

75 to 300 ohm Matching transformer

Happy Holidaze!

=ml=

#10 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,986 posts
  • LocationHudson Florida

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:01 AM

The deck seems to be mechanical. Where are the heads? In up or down position? But even with heads down it could be the micro switch stuck on. Best to open her up and look :-). By the way Miles she is a perty machine :drool:

Bad Boy Bill

#11 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,238 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:50 AM

That boombox is built like a tank!

I remember seeing one several years ago.

Very complex and sophisticated with congested interior!

A very rare GEM! :drool:  :hooray:

The complete belt replacement should solve the issue! 

I would BE VERY CAREFUL when working on this unit because of high voltage! It got a cathode ray tube! :w00t:

I am sure you know it. :yes:

I believe the flywheel is engaged to a gear/switch assembly and if you turn it that should release the pause and stop the motor. Try turning the flywheel to one side you should hear a click and that should take care of it.

Found these pics from the net..

Attached Files

#12 =ml=

=ml=
  • Members (SA)
  • 686 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:34 PM

The deck seems to be mechanical. Where are the heads? In up or down position? But even with heads down it could be the micro switch stuck on. Best to open her up and look :-). By the way Miles she is a perty machine :drool:

Bad Boy Bill

Not sure if the deck is mechanical or not. The switches have very little travel so I'm inclined to think they use solenoids. The heads are in the down position, and I agree that it's a micro switch issue. Yes sir, she is a perty box! :yes:

That boombox is built like a tank!

I remember seeing one several years ago.

Very complex and sophisticated with congested interior!

A very rare GEM!  :drool:   :hooray:

The complete belt replacement should solve the issue! 

I would BE VERY CAREFUL when working on this unit because of high voltage! It got a cathode ray tube:w00t:

I am sure you know it.  :yes:

I believe the flywheel is engaged to a gear/switch assembly and if you turn it that should release the pause and stop the motor. Try turning the flywheel to one side you should hear a click and that should take care of it.

Found these pics from the net..

Yup, I'm was very careful when I opened it up for the first time. I disconnected all power and waited 20 minutes for the CRT coils to discharge before I heard the seven virgin screw snaps that held the back on. It is a very congested box, and a bit daunting to work on. I'm going to put-off repairs until after the show; don't want to F something up.

I was surprised to see that the handle bolts just go through the case front; only the plastic sides are supporting the entire weight of the box.

Those are great pictures! :yes: Where did you find them? Are there others?

Here are some of mine:

Attached File  DSC05086.jpg   46.37K   18 downloads

Attached File  DSC05087.jpg   64.1K   24 downloads

Attached File  DSC05088.jpg   56.58K   19 downloads

Attached File  DSC05089.jpg   32.46K   19 downloads

Attached File  DSC05090.jpg   27.52K   33 downloads

Attached File  DSC05094.jpg   45.76K   27 downloads

Attached File  DSC05095.jpg   43.9K   23 downloads

Attached File  DSC05096.jpg   45.89K   31 downloads

Attached File  DSC05097.jpg   53.89K   22 downloads

Attached File  DSC05100.jpg   65.33K   28 downloads

And here's the mould date, July, 24 1980:

Attached File  ct-6001-mould-date.jpg   32.39K   35 downloads

Go!

=ml=

#13 =ml=

=ml=
  • Members (SA)
  • 686 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

Sorry for double-post.  :dunce:

Attached Files

#14 retrohead

retrohead
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:41 AM

this looks an awesome sharp!the annoying motor stick on is serious though,otherwise in the fullness of time it could burn out so best to catch it now i guess,but as far as the models concerned-its awesome :drool:

#15 rwilhi

rwilhi
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:30 PM

I know this is a old post. Does anyone know what Sharp multi voltage power supply would work for this one? Is there a USA model equivalent?