JVC PC-550 Cassette deck and aux in problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

womble71

Member (SA)
Feb 18, 2013
st.albert, alberta canada
So i finally get lucky and find a JVC PC-550 for $80 and jumped at it, now when i play the tape deck it plays for about 1 minute then shut's off! I assume this is a belt slipping as the auto reverse goes crazy too. When i plug into aux to play cd i get strong clean sound on left channel but crackling and weak on right channel? So what do you guys think it is that's causing the weak channel maybe loose solder? I hope that i can save this box because i have wanted one since i was 14. :sad:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
No worries! It looks like you need a complete belt replacement.

The play stops because your auto stop is kicking in. This could be because your tape counter belt is slipping.

In many cases the weak signal issue should go away if you clean the function (tape/radio/line in) switch with deoxit.

You need to clean all the switch contacts and pots, also the long record switch.

After a complete belt replacement, and Deoxit cleaning all the contacts it should work well.

womble71

Member (SA)
Feb 18, 2013
BoomboxLover48 said:
No worries! It looks like you need a complete belt replacement.
The play stops because your auto stop is kicking in. This could be because your tape counter belt is slipping or broken.
After complete belt replacement, Deoxit cleaning all the contacts it will work well.
Thanks for the fast reply, :bow: is there an alternative to Deoxit because i can't seem to find any local(Edmonton area) also where i can find belts for this box?

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
womble71 said:
Thanks for the fast reply, :bow: is there an alternative to Deoxit because i can't seem to find any local(Edmonton area) also where i can find belts for this box?
Our Canadian bros like Cpl-Chronic can help with your questions. Sadly i don't have the model you have, so I don't have the belt size information. :yes:

It takes some to restore nice boomboxes. Hopefully one of our members will direct you where to buy Deoxit in your area and the information regarding belt sizes. :-D

womble71

Member (SA)
Feb 18, 2013
Thanks again. Looks like i will have a hobby this January just replacing belts and cleaning switches! By the way i meant the aux input on the back of the JVC crackles when i plug into them, that's why i think there's a broken solder. :yes: :yes:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
womble71 said:
Thanks again. Looks like i will have a hobby this January just replacing belts and cleaning switches! By the way i meant the aux input on the back of the JVC crackles when i plug into them, that's why i think there's a broken solder. :yes: :yes:
Broken solder joints could be a possibility. :yes: Check the board where the aux input socket is for any other cracked solder. I had that cracked solder at the line in on my Panasonic RX7200. :yes:
Be careful when you open the unit. Always leave the cassette door open when you try to open it. Use only very minimum force when you try to open up. A service manual is always good to have.

Always take pictures when you remove components and mark them appropriately so that you know where they belong.

Status
Not open for further replies.