Tape head problem with Panasonic RX-5050

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKVII

Member (SA)
Dec 16, 2013
Chapmanville, WV
So for a while, I've had a problem with this Panasonic RX-5050 boombox I have. I suspect the issue lies in the cassette head somewhere. Whenever I press the play button, it makes a very loud noise that sounds somewhat like an explosion or a thunderstorm, and a faint hum can be heard in the background as well. I also have the same exact issue on a much smaller Panasonic RX-4955 boombox. Here's a video of the problem:

http://youtu.be/KO-XSl6OP_I

I know it's exclusive to the cassette mechanism on the boombox because both radio and line-in inputs work just fine (as seen in the video). I've cleaned all switches and pots repeatedly. This problem also goes away when the tape head connections are tampered with, so I'm assuming it's an issue in the wire. Anybody else ever had this problem?

DKVII

Member (SA)
Dec 16, 2013
Chapmanville, WV
BoomboxLover48 said:
Clean the long record switch on the PC board with Deoxit and see if solves the issue.
I'm going to guess you are speaking of the one with the gray wire, correct? If so, I've cleaned it multiple times to no avail.

Attachments

Matrixambience

Member (SA)
May 8, 2010
Strasburg,PA
Boomboxlover is referring to the long metal housed switch that has a plastic actuator that is spring loaded on the circuit board that a metal tab or connecting rod from the cassette deck record switch taps and moves when you push record. Spray a little contact cleaner in the switch (you may have to remove the cassette deck to get access to), and then get a blank tape and record something from ipodline in, radio,or just line in. Exercise the switch as much as you can. Any plugs that you can disconnect and reconnect, do that also. Sometimes oxidation builds up on contacts and prongs and it causes all kinds of noises. Give it a try.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Matrixambience said:
Boomboxlover is referring to the long metal housed switch that has a plastic actuator that is spring loaded on the circuit board that a metal tab or connecting rod from the cassette deck record switch taps and moves when you push record. Spray a little contact cleaner in the switch (you may have to remove the cassette deck to get access to), and then get a blank tape and record something from ipodline in, radio,or just line in. Exercise the switch as much as you can. Any plugs that you can disconnect and reconnect, do that also. Sometimes oxidation builds up on contacts and prongs and it causes all kinds of noises. Give it a try.

Attachments

DKVII

Member (SA)
Dec 16, 2013
Chapmanville, WV
BoomboxLover48 said:
Thank you so much, BoomboxLover48! Simply messing around with the record switch itself worked, but now I will also give that a spray.

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Well done for getting it working properly again. I also think it's great that younger folk such as yourself are taking an interest in these boomboxes. Don't get me wrong; mp3 is a good thing in so many ways, but analogue sources have something really special that far too few young 'uns appreciate.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
DKVII said:
Thank you so much, BoomboxLover48! Simply messing around with the record switch itself worked, but now I will also give that a spray.
I am glad it solved the issue! :thumbsup:

Welcome to Boomboxery! :yes:

Enjoy this beautiful site!

Be part of this friendly site and nice members! :hi: :hi: :hi:

DKVII

Member (SA)
Dec 16, 2013
Chapmanville, WV
Yes, thank you all! I completely agree with Beosystem10. The older stuff is definitely a lot better and cooler at the same time. Aside from six boomboxes, I also own a stereo system with a Technics SL-D303 turntable, Marantz 2265B receiver, Technics SL-P210 CD player and a Technics RS-B28R cassette deck. I own many cassettes and records, plus CDs too, of course.

I am also going to try this fix out on one of my Panasonic RX-4955 boomboxes, since I never could get it to work right. It did not ever cross my mind that the recording switch was the issue.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
DKVII said:
Yes, thank you all! I completely agree with Beosystem10. The older stuff is definitely a lot better and cooler at the same time. Aside from six boomboxes, I also own a stereo system with a Technics SL-D303 turntable, Marantz 2265B receiver, Technics SL-P210 CD player and a Technics RS-B28R cassette deck. I own many cassettes and records, plus CDs too, of course.

I am also going to try this fix out on one of my Panasonic RX-4955 boomboxes, since I never could get it to work right. It did not ever cross my mind that the recording switch was the issue.
Make baby steps.... Please buy a JVC M70 and enjoy a nice boombox to own! That will start the boombox mania...
You will be pleasantly surprised by the quality of sound from a boombox..........

DKVII

Member (SA)
Dec 16, 2013
Chapmanville, WV
BoomboxLover48 said:
Make baby steps.... Please buy a JVC M70 and enjoy a nice boombox to own! That will start the boombox mania...

You will be pleasantly surprised by the quality of sound from a boombox..........
Oh, don't worry, that model is on my very long want list. ;-)

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
DKVII said:
Oh, don't worry, that model is on my very long want list. ;-)
Then settle with a Sharp GF777. :w00t: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

.....before you collect the rest of the nice boomboxes like Sanyo BIGBEN, Panasonic RX7200, RX5350, RX7000 and so on.... :thumbsup:

DKVII

Member (SA)
Dec 16, 2013
Chapmanville, WV
I hate to resurrect this topic, but I notice that on both my Panasonic RX-5050 and Panasonic RX-4955, one channel seems to be slightly lower/less clear than the other only when playing cassettes, and moving the Balance knob and comparing the channels only proves this. Of course, I've cleaned the heads and pinch rollers, so I'm just curious if this problem is also due to the long record switch inside.

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Couple of thoughts:

-Ridiculous as the question seems, have you tried them with multiple cassettes known to be good?
-Could need a little more cleaning on the record switch?
-Is the sound on the weaker - or both - channels slightly muffled? May need the azimuth adjusted.

Just thinking out loud.
:hmmm:
It might help to post a video with decent audio.

DKVII

Member (SA)
Dec 16, 2013
Chapmanville, WV
Yes, the problem persists with all cassettes. The record switch might need a bit more cleaning, and it's only on the left channel for the 5050. I think the right channel for the 4955, but I don't use that one much, so my main focus is on the 5050. Recording from the line-out into Audacity also clearly shows the left channel at a slightly lower volume than the right. I will post a video later. Thanks.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Like our member superlew mentioned it could be the azimuth alignment. :yes:
It will be a good idea to demagnetize the head.
Take a good look at the head and see if any deposits are there.
Please use a plastic screw driver when you do the alignment.
Make sure you got a nice audio tape. Sometimes this could be from the tape itself.

DKVII

Member (SA)
Dec 16, 2013
Chapmanville, WV
Ehh, I've already adjusted it before using a small metal screwdriver. :-/

Here's a good question, then. How does one know when the azimuth has been adjusted correctly? I always thought when it sounded clearest, but apparently that isn't the case here.

Status
Not open for further replies.