Lasonic TRC-931, how many versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.
Am i right in saying there is 3.
2 square shaped and then the rounded corner version.

If thats correct has anybody got a side by side pic of the 2 square versions so i can see the differances.
Thanks

SmokinEndo

Member (SA)
May 21, 2010
Jersey
there are more

I know the 1st gen has a RED tile on the top left corner where these are yellow/blue/teal and there is no auto reverse

probably more variations as well but there are more then three renditions of this box

there may be three cases with graphic/feature variations but I consider that to be a different box

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Yes there are different graphics, placement of the headphone jack, and even dual or single antennas. My 2nd generation has a single antenna and was the newest of the generation as I purchased it back in 1989. But for the most part the differences you speak of were from the different manufactures that Lasonic used. But the reason there are only 3 variations is the exterior was pretty much the same. Even the back of the 2nd edition of mine with single antenna has spots for the dual antenna ;-)

Bad Boy Bill

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
There are plenty of threads on this topic. I have verified about 5-6 versions before the i931s started coming out.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Yeah, I think I counted 7 variations all together.

Bear in mind some of these were slight graphic changes or single antenna versus dual antenna models.

I did type all the variations out at one stage, but buggered if I can find it on here or 'yonder'.

Rock On.

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.
Thanks for the feed back, especially Bill for the pics.

To the untrained eye there does not appear to be that many differences between the 1st and 2nd versions. The led power meters have swapped sides, the rest seems mostly graphics.

Of the units ive seen seen for sale it seems the 2nd edition is the most readily available (of the first two) on ebay.

I have recently bought one (hence the original question) and looks like its a 2nd edition. I will post pics when it arrives :yes:

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
By the way, I have the 1st and 2nd edition and can state unequivocally that the 1st edition sounds noticeably nicer than the the 2nd edition. They both have great bass, but the 1st edition has more clarity and a wider soundstage.

Rock On.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Found my old list:

blu_fuz said:
The round corner was for sure the "2nd" edition if you only are considering the shape of the box.....

931 Editions are fun because there are SOOOO many!

All corners were square until the "3rd" edition came out.
1st edition:
Led's on right

2nd edition(s):
Led's on left, dual antenna, brown power button decal
Led's on left, dual antenna, yellow/blue power button decal
Led's on left, single antenna, yellow/blue power button decal
(these also had variations for the position of the headphone jack, not sure which for what without searching)

3rd edition:
Dual cassette, rounded box corners

4th edition:
CDX-931 dual cassette, CD player, rounded corners

5th edition:
i931 ipod dock

6th edition:
i931x ipod and ipod touch dock

7th edition:
i931Bx ipod and ipod touch dock, and blue tooth

stormsven

Member (SA)
Jan 14, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
There is a second edition without "autoreverse" too. There is a really rare branded Lucky TRC 931 ....
So who knows how many different models were there.... I bet even in the factory they lost the count :-D .
And a few pictures for color :-D :

Attachments

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
There's a similar thread at the UKVR forum where the connection between LG and the variously named TRC931-shaped boxes from Lasonic, Crown, Unichav, Ingersoll, etc. is explained. Was it here that someone confirmed that their Goldstar also had the Lucky stamp somewhere inside? We should all have one by now, not owning something Lasonic is like being a Mason with two trouser legs the same length; ostensibly perfectly normal but extrafeckeral to the in crowd ;-) . Last one I viewed was missing most of its essential parts but had that been a Hacker, Sharp, B&O, ITT-KB or JVC I'd have had it regardless, however with so many variations on essentially the same classic shape, the 931 could be a big no-no for buying incomplete, especially if the first two generations only had the one tape deck, a thing I hadn't realised while I read the above quoted list of variations, and then it came as a surprise - I'd thought they all had two; one vertical, one horizontal like a car radio.

Confused? Yeah! :blush:

Old school Scott

Member (SA)
Jun 12, 2009
I would rather know how many different Lasonic models there were period.
Every time I think I've seen them all, a rare unknown Lasonic model pops up on the Bay.

Cheers OSS :afro:

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
Old school Scott said:
I would rather know how many different Lasonic models there were period.
Every time I think I've seen them all, a rare unknown Lasonic model pops up on the Bay.

Cheers OSS :afro:
:agree:

word on the streets says there is a "limo" version that was never released to the public...

Status
Not open for further replies.