Sharp GF9191 no sound!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
So I picked up a beater of a 9191 really cheap to repair/mod and have so far repaired and resprayed the back case (see https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/20117-sharp-gf9191xe-refurb-part-1/#entry246083)

Well it was working fine (apart from the deck) when I took it apart but now I'm putting it back together theres no sound! :(

I cleaned all the switches and left it. When it went back together the fuse blew for seemingly no reason. I checked all the connections and fitted a new fuse. When powered up again there was a weird smell for maybe 20 seconds but then it went. Now it all pretends to work ie lights come on, vu meters move etc but there's just no sound.

Cleaned the record bar and headphone socket again but still nothing.

Nothing looks burnt out or bulging/crumbling so I'm at a loss now. Any ideas? :)

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Try headphones as your first course of action if you haven't already done that, cleaning won't have helped if the reed has broken off and got itself jammed in there somehow. If headphones don't work or cause the fuse to fail again, then take the socket out of circuit so that the speaker cables go directly to the speakers.

If that eliminates the headphone socket as the cause of the trouble, then look at the audio board paying particular attention to any signs of scorched putty around final AF. It may be burned and still look creamy white. Could you have trapped anything or pulled any wires out of their sockets when you had it apart?

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
The headphone socket was minging so wouldn't be surprised if the switch in it disintegrated...the whole box looks like someone has kicked it around like a football...is there an easy way of closing that circuit bearing in mind all the connections are on show under the socket...can I just jumper some connections?

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
No connections pulled or pinched...I've taken several 9191's apart and know all the connectors...they're all in the right place too as I always take pics before I take anything apart.

Been suggested that an amp chip might've blown so I'll check that out...it's in my shed and its dark and cold outside so I'll check tomorrow :-)

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Northerner said:
I always take pics before I take anything apart.

:-)
How did we manage before digital cameras became available to the general public eh? :-D
Have fun in your shed tomorrow, some charming child just launched a grenade right at mine, fortunately the creosote substitute that I used on it only recently isn't the petrol-based stuff and both hut and contents are fine.
Why can the little monsters not wait for the fifth though?

:nonono:

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Gone to plan B instead :)

It's going to be modded anyway so I've cut my losses and slung the innards to one side for spares!

Fitted a powerful Bang and Olufsen amp and rigged it to the original speakers...sounds pretty good even with the open casing.

So I've been working more on the casing as the top is cracked and missing a chunk. Basically there will be some casing modification including a place for the good old iPod and a load of LEDs chucked in for good measure...respray and job done!

It'll either be awesome or stay in the shed...depending on how successful it is...having fun doing it so not that worried either way lol ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.