Conion C100 acting weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

autobot84

Member (SA)
Nov 4, 2010
Cybertron
When i turn on the power i hear a "pop" the right channel has no sound and right side led's are fully lit. all i have to do is lightly tap on the top of the radio above the right speaker a few times then everything works perfect again. but when i turn the power off and then on again problem starts all over.

i have cleaned inside really good and deoxed all pots and switches, they are all static free. could it maybe be a dirty power switch? or some another connector on one of the boards i need to spray? or could it be something worse.

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
If the affected board is accessible with the back off, then switch the set on and try a scoosh of freezer on any suspect joints. If applying the freezer solves the problem while next time, then chances are that there's a dry joint at that location, reflowing the bad joint would be first thing to try, assuming you have no visible breaks.

I've only once met one of these - a UK-market Spinney, Triumph or Binatone (don't recall which) aka as sold through some of the club books back in the day - and it was doing a very similar thing, solved as above. :-)

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
When i turn on the power i hear a "pop" the right channel has no sound and right side led's are fully lit. all i have to do is lightly tap on the top of the radio above the right speaker a few times then everything works perfect again. but when i turn the power off and then on again problem starts all over.

i have cleaned inside really good and deoxed all pots and switches, they are all static free. could it maybe be a dirty power switch? or some another connector on one of the boards i need to spray? or could it be something worse.

I would clean power switch and burglar alarm switch real good. Then try it ;-)

Bad Boy Bill

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Check your pin connectors, too. I had a problem with my left channel when I first got mine. As I turned it up, the left channel would pop in and out due to a loose pin connector. The vibration from the woofers was just enough to shake it loose. If I remember correctly, it was a pin connector on the top board near the center, very close to the front cabinet, where it was pretty susceptible to vibration.
...Or it could be something completely different. :hmmm:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
superlew said:
Check your pin connectors, too. I had a problem with my left channel when I first got mine. As I turned it up, the left channel would pop in and out due to a loose pin connector. The vibration from the woofers was just enough to shake it loose. If I remember correctly, it was a pin connector on the top board near the center, very close to the front cabinet, where it was pretty susceptible to vibration.
...Or it could be something completely different. :hmmm:
:agree: That could do it if you see all the VU lights lit. I would also check for any cracked area on the PC board where it can have stress. Trace the signal path for the right channel and look for any lose connection. Clean the record switch also.

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
My problem child popped just like yours did for awhile. Then it went away. Might just need a good cleaning.

autobot84

Member (SA)
Nov 4, 2010
Cybertron
i think dirty power switch was the culprit. after i sprayed it with contact cleaner and worked it in symptoms have disappeared. turned it off and on about 30x's no more popping. i'll keep an eye on it though, the ghosts might come back :lol:

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Coincidence. ;-) The I/O switch isn't part of the signal path (schematic source, Newnes, from ISBN:00381101-volume 91), but sometimes it's ok not knowing why something works as long as it does. :-D :thumbsup:

jimski

Member (SA)
May 19, 2009
Beosystem10 said:
If the affected board is accessible with the back off, then switch the set on and try a scoosh of freezer on any suspect joints. If applying the freezer solves the problem while next time, then chances are that there's a dry joint at that location, reflowing the bad joint would be first thing to try, assuming you have no visible breaks.

I've only once met one of these - a UK-market Spinney, Triumph or Binatone (don't recall which) aka as sold through some of the club books back in the day - and it was doing a very similar thing, solved as above. :-)
I had the same problem with mine the amp chips needed resolder, it fixed the pop and weird led problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.