Rec Mute button causing problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
So I've been testing my M70 all day, sounding GREAT, but when I went to test the cassette player, it had a lot of static, with the VUs pegged at max, faintly could hear the music. Thought i'd clean the heads again, nothing, went through moving all the switches, and found that when I hold the "Rec Mute" button, it sounds crystal clear, and the VU's function properly, and when I release it, back to garbage...

What could cause that button to affect the cassette playback and VU's like that? I've gone through the service manual, but don't know that I see anything related to that. If any ideas I'd greatly appreciate it, I doubt I'll play much cassettes, but it's still important to know.

Thanks!!!

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Clean your record bar. Spray small amount deoxit or contact cleaner inside and work switch. You can also open deck door. With no tape in put your finger and hold down record tab switch and press record then stop key and do this 10-20 times. This should take care of problem for short term til you open box to clean record bar :thumbsup:

Bad Boy Bill

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Done!!!

I still had the back casing off, so I figured "8 screws and some switch caps.... Why not do it now."

Good call, thanks for the lightning fast post, it seems to work great now!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.