Plugging mp3 on my JVC M 70 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weboguy

Member (SA)
Feb 12, 2010
Hello
I tried to play my mp3 files from my mp3 player so I plugged it in the phono line in (it's a RC M 70 L so no real line in, just phono) and the resuly is that the sound is soooo loud it can't play, I mean even at volume one it's way too loud and distorted
How come? Do I have to use a special adapter before I plug it into bbox phono in?
please help!! because I would love to play my mp3 through this beast
I do it on the Goldstar TSR 580 and no problems..
I hope you can help me thanks!!!
View attachment 2878

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Its a phono attenuator and it steps down the input level to a phono level so that it comes through nice and clear with no distortion. I've got several from MCM as shown, they cost about £10, and work very well :-)

weboguy

Member (SA)
Feb 12, 2010
thanks a lot !! I think I saw it on a youtube JVC RC M 70 boombox video but wasn't sure!! just found it on ebay uk for 17€
thanks again!!
cheers
Yann

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
....Or use the DIN instead, much cheaper and all you need is one of these:

You will need to be certain that the idler declutching spring is up to scratch if you use this method, otherwise it'll tend to run on even with the pause key pressed, but if you wanted to use the machine for recording from a line level source you'd already have the lead whereas for recording from a moving magnet cartridge, you wouldn't need the gizmo.

I accept that the attenuator is a useful thing for when you have no other line level input though but and I use one myself with my three piece Toshiba RT9000S but only because the Tosh has no DIN in/out facility.

weboguy

Member (SA)
Feb 12, 2010
Beosystem10 said:
....Or use the DIN instead, much cheaper and all you need is one of these:

You will need to be certain that the idler declutching spring is up to scratch if you use this method, otherwise it'll tend to run on even with the pause key pressed, but if you wanted to use the machine for recording from a line level source you'd already have the lead whereas for recording from a moving magnet cartridge, you wouldn't need the gizmo.

I accept that the attenuator is a useful thing for when you have no other line level input though but and I use one myself with my three piece Toshiba RT9000S but only because the Tosh has no DIN in/out facility.
I have this thing but it's not good sound neither I prefer to buy the other, thanks

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Even odder. I use that lead with my 656, with the Hacker RPC1 for which I bought it in the first place and can use it with the B&O box as that has the choice between DIN and RCA at the same level, it works fine in all cases so maybe the M70's DIN in/out has an impedance issue when compared with the sockets on non-Euro spec M70s with RCAs that cut the tuner when connected?

Either way; this is useful to know as I was about to p*** a lot of €€€ up the wall on a European M70 simply because it has LW, now methinks I'll look to the versions with loads of SW spread instead just to get that connectivity without buying the attenuator.
Can that be right? Saving €19 by spending €300? I think I just found a flaw in my own logic there! :blush:

As a matter of interest what was the issue with the sound on yours? Level too low, distortion, level too high. bass becoming ragged with crappy mp3 source material, all of the above or something else?
Also, has either of the M70 owners in this thread tried something other than lossy compression, such as AAD cd?

Status
Not open for further replies.