Les Ghetteaux Blasteur of my youth wayward...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2013
Upstate New York
Sometime in the early 80s mother picked up a Sanyo C2 Boombox at one of those parking lot clearance sales that would come to the area from time to time. The idea was that my brother would make payments for it but after a few weeks he tried to weasel out of the deal. So I stepped in to buy it and after a few months it was all mine!

This went everywhere - to the beach, visits to father - and was my 'recorder de employ' for most of High School. Since I couldn't afford records I would tape my music off the radio. In addition I would take advantage of this machine's line inputs to record snippets of televison from my little TV set's headphone output. I still have the tape of news from the Challenger disaster. This extra featurette served me well when I was forbidden TV but not radio. By turning down the brightness, I could enjoy my 'rebellion plastique'.

Shortly after High School the C2 finally disintegrated from use. Recently I was able to acquire this unit - or rather two to make the one functional. Had to douse the switches with contact cleaner but for the now it works!

So what was the sound machine of your youthful dreams?

Attachments

retrohead

Member (SA)
May 29, 2010
United Kingdom
back in 1998,i actually saw a conion c100f on a shelf in a junk shop,battered to hell for 10 pounds,but i had no cash on me and he wouldnt hold it for me till the next day and when i went back the next day it had long gone,the b#st#rd had sold it :thumbsdown: this is the best i can do as i was too young during the 80s to get one,did pester my parents for any ghettoblaster they could afford in 1987 when i was 10 however i didnt get one,they got me a bog standard alba midi instead,so i never got one!ive made up for it all since though ;-)

Jul 23, 2013
Upstate New York
retrohead said:
back in 1998,i actually saw a conion c100f on a shelf in a junk shop,battered to hell for 10 pounds,but i had no cash on me and he wouldnt hold it for me till the next day and when i went back the next day it had long gone,the b#st#rd had sold it
Around the same time, I had the misery of watching someone buy an SL-2000 portable Betamax outfit I'd specifically walked down to this flea market to have a look at. I currently have two of them nowadays.

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.
Nice Box, it must be great to pick up a box from your youth.

I had several no-name blasters as a kid, the one i really remember is a Goldstar that was long black with two auto reverse decks, i remember it being similar size to a Sharp QT95 but if i ever see one again its probably alot smaller :-D

retrohead

Member (SA)
May 29, 2010
United Kingdom
its a kick in the teeth when you see something at a flea market etc and some chancer beats you to it,especially when you know where its going.....damn stupid ebay :evilmad:

Status
Not open for further replies.