Pioneer CK-11 trouble on start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sazeus

Member (SA)
Mar 21, 2012
Melbourne Australia
So my Pioneer CK-11 was working and sounding great via line in until one day when I turned it on, the LED's lit up but there was no sound. After maybe two minutes it fired up and worked as per usual. The last time I turned it on it took 8-10 minutes before anything happened. Has anyone come across this problem before or have any idea what may cause it?

IMG_1746.JPG

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
:hmmm: could be a dirty power switch. Have you ever cleaned the inside of unit including switches? The biggest issues with these older units is dirt build up from over the years building up on components, in switches and pots. Dust and dirt can cause many of the issues and should always be cleaned up ;-)

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Dibs!!:)(lol) Good luck,like Bill said,de oxit all switches especially the power.
I've come close to getting one of these twice!
Very nice!!:)

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
Ask member Prime if he answers you he might be able to help.He has 2 of these!:)
There's a big amp on the bottom or somewhere-big power supply.Maybe check capacitors or components on power supply.Slow to start-hmmm.Ask Norm also,I'm just not sure in this.
I don't have but a CK5 and I don't know about these big boy Pioneers!
Good luck!

wills15

Member (SA)
Jan 29, 2012
Australia
Hey guys, this is at my house now. Basically the unit operates, but it takes a while for the amp's protection relay to kick on (ie. instead of taking 5 seconds it takes 5 minutes).

I thought it was dirty contacts or dry solder joints, but it's not. Boards are in very good condition, switches have been cleaned.

One of the power supply filter caps is slightly more bulged than the other...

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
wills15 said:
Hey guys, this is at my house now. Basically the unit operates, but it takes a while for the amp's protection relay to kick on (ie. instead of taking 5 seconds it takes 5 minutes).

I thought it was dirty contacts or dry solder joints, but it's not. Boards are in very good condition, switches have been cleaned.

One of the power supply filter caps is slightly more bulged than the other...
if you have bulging caps on the power board they need to be replaced because that bulging is a sure sign they are bad or going bad .

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
if you have bulging caps on the power board they need to be replaced because that bulging is a sure sign they are bad or going bad .

:agree: with Floyd. That might solve issue. ;-)

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
baddboybill said:
Or relay could be starting to go :hmmm:
if these relays have insufficient input voltage they will not activate until the proper mount of voltage is present . it's like a solenoid in a car starter motor. there are several different types of capacitors and the ones that are big and black and domed at the top are usually found in high power amplifiers and if the ck has those than they are supposed to be domed at the top , now if it's a standard electrolyte cap then those are aluminum and flat on the top and when the bulge they are usually done for .

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
if these relays have insufficient input voltage they will not activate until the proper mount of voltage is present . it's like a solenoid in a car starter motor. there are several different types of capacitors and the ones that are big and black and domed at the top are usually found in high power amplifiers and if the ck has those than they are supposed to be domed at the top , now if it's a standard electrolyte cap then those are aluminum and flat on the top and when the bulge they are usually done for .

I agree but I would also say for a better example a headlight relay. But a relay can start to go out even if voltage is at proper amount. So this could be either or issue for sure and further testing needs to be done ;-)

Rahul

Member (SA)
Jul 28, 2016
India
Sazeus said:
So my Pioneer CK-11 was working and sounding great via line in until one day when I turned it on, the LED's lit up but there was no sound. After maybe two minutes it fired up and worked as per usual. The last time I turned it on it took 8-10 minutes before anything happened. Has anyone come across this problem before or have any idea what may cause it?

IMG_1746.JPG
Have you found any solution? do let us know

Status
Not open for further replies.