100v work in north america?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
Yup 100 volts works fine in North America.
I've had and still do have some 100 volt boxed from Asia and the work great,no problems ever running them on 120 volts.
But if you are worried, do what Bill says and get yourself a 120 volt to 100 volt step down transformer.

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
Reli said:
It's OK unless you insist on cranking it up and/or using it often.
I beg to differ....
There has been some discussion in the past about this.
I've used mine on 100 volts every day for several hours a day at reasonable volumes with no issues at all.
And even cranked them up once in a while.
The transformer doesn't get any warmer than a 120 volt unit.
I've never heard of any one having any issues while doing this.
So there is no proof that using 100 volt units on 120 volts harms them.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Well, just because nobody here has ever posted a problem doesn't mean that a problem will never happen. Knock on wood. I just don't think that we as a community should tell people that there are absolutely no risks. Besides, a wall-wart step-down converter is only $20.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Trust me you don't want to add 20%+ more voltage because end result could even cause a fire. With adding the higher voltage there could be as much as 40% rise in heat. These components being over 30 years old might not be able to handle this. Yes many have done it without cause but investing $30-$40 will help alleviate any future problems ;)

Superduper

Member (SA)
My hitachi 8600 blew the AMSS feature and the control IC due to using on 120V. Kraftmatic was generous enough to find me a replacement music search board to replace the blown one. Also most 100v boomboxes sound like the volume control is maxxed out too early and some sound like audio is clipping, even at lower volumes. Just because one box works without catching fire or blowing circuits does not mean every model or even example is safe. There is a certain amount of risk, and you take your own chances. Most USA electronics have an operational range of 115 to 120v. If 100v were surely safe, I suspect they will label the devices 100 to 125v.

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Just would like to know what is the general opinion about using AC to DC converter to feed 12V DC (or the specified voltage) instead of going for an AC converter.

I do that for my non-standard voltage boxes.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
AE_Stereo said:
Just would like to know what is the general opinion about using AC to DC converter to feed 12V DC (or the specified voltage) instead of going for an AC converter.

That also works ;-)

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
Kenpat said:
& much safer! :-D

Before we forget, let's all say :thankyou: to :superduper: for having the patience to answer this question yet again. When it comes to safety (Scott) we can never be too sure when using boxes from overseas (Scott) and should always exercise proper caution (Scott.)

Safety first! (Scotty!)

Now I'll get right back to work on this chip I blew up testing under power...

:lol:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion last time I checked.
Just because Norm says he had a problem with his Hitachi.
Doesn't mean it's fact.
And Kenpat I don't deserve or appreciated the public scolding here either.

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Kenpat said:
& much safer! :-D
Yes. I feel it is safer. Hence whenever I get a new box in unknown condition, I switch it on the very first time with DC power supply. Apart from a shock hazard, it may also incur a lesser damage if there is a short circuit inside.

While using DC supply, make sure that the Polarity (+-) of the pins is matching with the box's pin configuration. I have seen many Japanese boxes with negative on the center pin and positive on the outer one, especially the National Panasonics.

Ken

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
Bremerton, WA, USA
A sad attempt at a joke, I'm sure it was. It was uncalled for.

Any Mod around? This should be taken down. The sooner the better.

I apologise, especially Skippy. While I may have offended many, you're the one I insulted.

I'm sorry.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would never plug a 100V Boombox to a 120V line. Nope! That is me. It will put unnecessary stress to components and will shorten the life. Also never hook up to a gas generator if power goes off. Most components have 15 to 20% tolerance but still it is unsafe. Also I won't play a Boombox more than 60% of its volume. Basically I stay away from pushing the amp and speakers. Home audio systems I don't care pushing it a little bit. They can take it based on the power handling capacity. Boomboxes must be loved and gently handled.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
AE_Stereo said:
Yes. I feel it is safer. Hence whenever I get a new box in unknown condition, I switch it on the very first time with DC power supply. Apart from a shock hazard, it may also incur a lesser damage if there is a short circuit inside. While using DC supply, make sure that the Polarity (+-) of the pins is matching with the box's pin configuration. I have seen many Japanese boxes with negative on the center pin and positive on the outer one, especially the National Panasonics.
That is correct!

=ml=

Member (SA)
Jan 10, 2011
E-Rock (Eagle Rock, L.A.)
I

AE_Stereo said:

Me too. If you do this, be mindful of the polarity of the pin; some are positive while others are negative. :hmmm:

Go!

=ml=

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
BoomboxLover48 said:
Also I won't play a Boombox more than 60% of its volume.
Hell, I've never owned a box that can even hit 40% without serious distortion. :lol:
Of course, that's because I usually use max bass and treble all the time, and Loudness on. The only exception is the Telefunken Studio 1, but that's not really a boombox.

Status
Not open for further replies.