Painting trim around M70 tweeters

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
Has anyone out there successfully painted the trim around the M70 tweeters? Mine are scuffed and want to clean up the look. Would appreciate any input before I start the project. I am thinking of using a chrome paint to help accentuate the tweeters.

Superduper

Member (SA)
mellymelsr said:
Has anyone out there successfully painted the trim around the M70 tweeters? Mine are scuffed and want to clean up the look. Would appreciate any input before I start the project. I am thinking of using a chrome paint to help accentuate the tweeters.
Chrome paint never looked like chrome to me. Always looked like a streaky lead color instead. However, maybe I'm a poor painter. Still painting it would at least even it out so it would look better.

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
mind was just like that so i painted it with hobby chrome paint which is really not chrome its more like aluminum color, but hey it looks alot better than the missing original paint :yes: :yes: :yes:

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
monchito said:
i remember ira posting about a company that sells spray paint that garranteed to be chrome i will see if i find the link :yes: :yes:
Would be great if we could find an honest chrome looking paint. The last time I used Chrome paint many years ago it was a very crappy representation, in fact I wouldn't call it chrome I would have called it a somewhat shiny looking silver. :thumbsdown:

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
monchito said:
i remember ira posting about a company that sells spray paint that garranteed to be chrome i will see if i find the link :yes: :yes:
...thanks Monchito, if you could find the link that would be great. I am going to try a few different brands and let you know how it turns out.

TRC-911

Member (SA)
Jun 8, 2009
Fort Knox
HEAT is the secret to painting ;-) Every time I use a rattle can I always let the paint dry, then I pull out my heat gun ad turn it to low fan setting, Then I just go across the surface at about 9 inches above and just mow the invisible lawn back and forth back and forth, this will bake the enamel and smooth the paint and fill in crevices, EVEN remove orange peel for a flawless look,OH AND it brings the color out to it's FULLEST! I painted 'chrome' paint on my alternator bracket and let it dry normally, it looked like I just painted it with a dust gun silver, I then heated it with my heat gun and the paint baked down and brought out the chrome pigments from the bottom and it Looked Like chrome, It was somewhat faint but I could see myself in it and colors! Just don't hold it over a certain spot too long!!! IT WILL BURN!

Master Z

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Toledo, OH!
Silver leaf. it works well but you have to take your time and dont use cotton balls to smooth it out..
I did my Rising 20/20 tweeter grills with it and it looks pretty good.

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
TRC-911 said:
HEAT is the secret to painting ;-) Every time I use a rattle can I always let the paint dry, then I pull out my heat gun ad turn it to low fan setting, Then I just go across the surface at about 9 inches above and just mow the invisible lawn back and forth back and forth, this will bake the enamel and smooth the paint and fill in crevices, EVEN remove orange peel for a flawless look,OH AND it brings the color out to it's FULLEST! I painted 'chrome' paint on my alternator bracket and let it dry normally, it looked like I just painted it with a dust gun silver, I then heated it with my heat gun and the paint baked down and brought out the chrome pigments from the bottom and it Looked Like chrome, It was somewhat faint but I could see myself in it and colors! Just don't hold it over a certain spot too long!!! IT WILL BURN!
...thanks for the tip...I don't have a heat gun but I used a hair dryer and the trim turned out pretty good...

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Mel, are you talking about the skinny little trim around the horn, or the horn too?

pap

Member (SA)
Aug 27, 2015
cataluña,Spain
for me, I think it's still very difficult to get the chrome effect.
so I painted my tweter silver, like all m70 box.
because the result is very satisfying for me. :cool: WP_20151010_005

WP_20151010_001.jpg

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
pap said:
for me, I think it's still very difficult to get the chrome effect.
so I painted my tweter silver, like all m70 box.
because the result is very satisfying for me. :cool: WP_20151010_005

WP_20151010_001.jpg
i like that look , that tiny amount of chrome around the tweeter is too much of a pain in the ass to worry about , i think the tweeter horns should be the same color as the body otherwise they look painted around and then they draw attention directly to the tweeters .

pap

Member (SA)
Aug 27, 2015
cataluña,Spain
Thanks, it's my first restoration and am reason to continue with two other m70.
for color hasido chance, three layers of paint and two coats of varnish.
The blue logo is a fantasy of mine, but I liked the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.