conion dim fm stereo light

Status
Not open for further replies.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
I have seen this issue on a sharp mini I had and it could be a number of different tuner related issues. Only easy thing you could try but I don't believe will work is resetting the fm stereo variable resistor. But more than likely if your stereo comes in but led is dim your pretty much stuck with it :thumbsdown:

stynger007

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
The Great White North Canada
Located on the tuner board, the single turn variable resistor Bill speaks of is located at VR002 on the tuner board near the front right when looking inside from the rear of the radio .. more than likely a light spray , then working it in . Watch the fm stereo light and find the happy medium . The resistor looks like the bottom one that says 10k on it : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:pCB_variable_resistors.jpg

If you need to replace it , the value is 5k ohms..it must be replaced with a single turn resistor . Almost forgot, on the tuner board there is also a variable resistor , VR001 - this is the fine calibration once you get VR002 co operating...Be careful near the tuner string with your soldering iron!

Good luck ! Pete

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
My stereo light doesn't illuminate at all except for when a strong station is selected and you rapidly move the FM/MW/SW1/SW2 switch back and forth and land on FM again. When you do this and click back to the FM on that switch you will get a little "blip" from the light when you click to the FM section and a second of stereo signal then right back to mono. I've tried turning VR002 back and forth but ended up putting it back where it was after nothing happened. Haven't tried spraying any Tuner Cleaner anywhere as I have the type which has lubrication in it (RadioShack) and not sure if that would be a good thing to leave behind. Not very familiar with tuners and I'm afraid all I will accomplish is eventually getting it so out of whack it doesn't pick up anything.

For now if I want stereo on the radio I just hook my ipod to it and tune it to the radio station I want to hear and whalla. I guess this is the main reason I haven't really fiddled with it. Tapes and Auxiliary all play in stereo and stereo wide works for all of them so that's enough for me unless someone knows definitely what the issue is and can pinpoint the exact problem...hard to do over the internet :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.