PIONEER SK 353L....no sound .

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonichima

Member (SA)
Feb 15, 2013
uk
OK, I must be addicted.
I just bought my second box from ebay, a Pioneer SK 353L. Won it for £6.

Listed as working but with no sound. From reading here I am guessing it will be loose solder joints.

Any advice on these boxes ?

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Almost bid on that one myself. Could be as simple as switch cleaner. I've had boxes with no sound just buzzing...bit of switch cleaner later and works perfectly :thumbsup:

woodnbox

Member (SA)
Oct 26, 2011
Liverpool U.K.
:sad: I was the other bidder - you beat me by 50p :blush:
i didn't want to pay much because of the fault. Hope its a easy fix :yes

BTW - Dibs. :-D :-D :-D

retrohead

Member (SA)
May 29, 2010
United Kingdom
yeah i saw this one too....but the sound issue put me off,as like northerner says it could be as simple as contact cleaner in all the switches but from bitter experience im afraid its normally a bit more than that....on the bright side look at it this way buddy....you paid very little for it (when i still had mine i paid just £1 for it from a car boot)so it owes you very little....shelve it and just use something else and appreciate it for its looks....but well done for getting it for so little :yes:

sonichima

Member (SA)
Feb 15, 2013
uk
Sorry woodnbox , I feel a bit bad about sniping you on that one. :sad:
Ebay just ain't the same as finding something "in the wild" so to speak.
I mean the feeling of finding something great at a boot-sale or charity-shop for a couple of quid cannot be beaten.
And nobody else is gutted.
Plus there is no postage to pay. :-D

Anyway I hope it works out ok when it arrives. Should be here on Monday.

sonichima

Member (SA)
Feb 15, 2013
uk
This arrived today and I typed a post about it and then deleted it by accident. Balls !!! I hate it when that happens.
Suffice to say that after a fiddle around inside it works partially (one speaker).
But someone has been at it before and done something weird to it.
I'll post some pictures later and ask for some expert advice from the Masters of the Boombox.

Oh, and even on just one speaker it sounds great, about 10,000 times better than my laptop!
So I am well pleased with myself. :clap:

sonichima

Member (SA)
Feb 15, 2013
uk
Ok, so I took this apart again today. It was working just on one speaker and it was pretty loud. Now after just having a look inside and checking all the physical connections it has changed.
It all seems to work ok, but it is very quiet. It plays through both speakers and there is a back ground hum . The volume knob does not do anything.
Does anyone have any ideas what might be up with it ?

sonichima

Member (SA)
Feb 15, 2013
uk
Nope.
Been too busy to look at it until today. I'll go down to maplin tomorrow and pick up some switch cleaner. Do you think that'll do it ?

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
sonichima said:
Nope.
Been too busy to look at it until today. I'll go down to maplin tomorrow and pick up some switch cleaner. Do you think that'll do it ?
Well the old magic switch cleaner (maplins sell Servisol which is what I use) can fix any number of sound problems...corroded contacts really balls up the sound but a quick clean and bobs yer uncle (usually anyway!) :yes: Had boxes go from just buzzing to sounding perfect but make sure you get the cleaner right in each pot and turn them back and forth 30 or 40 times. Don't forget the headphone socket too...squirt the cleaner in then stick a plug in repeatedly. Then the record bar which is a long bar on a circuit board, usually near the deck, with an inner that slides back and forth a bit. Once cleaned a good blast with compressed air gets the cleaner out then leave to dry for 10 minutes or so :yes:

I do this on every box I get :-D

2steppa

Member (SA)
May 11, 2009
Sunny Eastern England
These are known for the solder pads stress-cracking where the function selector switch meets the PCB. I had to reflow / remake the solder joints on both of mine as they were crackling, popping and buzzing. Seems a distinct possibility in your case too.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
2steppa said:
These are known for the solder pads stress-cracking where the function selector switch meets the PCB. I had to reflow / remake the solder joints on both of mine as they were crackling, popping and buzzing. Seems a distinct possibility in your case too.
Very good information. I will check mine too. I can't believe pioneer put those cheap piezo electric tweeters behind the big tweeter grills. It made me laugh when I opened up the unit. :lol:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
BoomboxLover48 said:
2steppa said:
Very good information. I will check mine too. I can't believe pioneer put those cheap piezoelectric tweeters behind the big tweeter grills. It made me laugh when I opened up the unit. :lol:

retrohead

Member (SA)
May 29, 2010
United Kingdom
yeah i really do hope you get it working again,the guys are on top form with their solutions here,and all of them valid solutions,so i can only concurr with all of them....i think the servisol will cure it,9 times out of ten it does.good luck :yes:

sonichima

Member (SA)
Feb 15, 2013
uk
So I sprayed contact cleaner everywhere and it still doesn't work right. Its making sounds but they are too quiet.
Then I remembered what I had read here before.. bad solder joints.

And then I logged in to post here and thats what everyone else thinks too.

So that is tomorrows job.
Full disassembly and joint check.
I WILL bring it back to life !!!.....
:frankenstein:

Wish me luck.

sonichima

Member (SA)
Feb 15, 2013
uk
I forgot....
Whilst I was rummaging in the bowels of the beast i noticed a date on the motor...

7th October 1982.

Thats my birthday (give or take a year or two. ;-) ) !

Wow... what does it all mean ?

2steppa

Member (SA)
May 11, 2009
Sunny Eastern England
BoomboxLover48 said:
[I can't believe pioneer put those cheap piezo electric tweeters behind the big tweeter grills. It made me laugh when I opened up the unit. :lol:
Haha I know, but in common with many (the majority) of boxes those type of 'tweeters' contribute virtually nothing to the overall sound (sometimes literally nothing), but I must big up the speakers in this box, nice rubber gel edges give a warm and clean bass. Treble is ok, I'd say just about adequate.

Apart from that solder joints issue these 353's are reliable and long lasting units.

retrohead

Member (SA)
May 29, 2010
United Kingdom
im onto my second now,bought yesterday for £10,and i concurr with 2 steppas mini revew,a lovely small box with the prestigious pioneer name ;-)

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
retrohead said:
im onto my second now,bought yesterday for £10,and i concurr with 2 steppas mini revew,a lovely small box with the prestigious pioneer name ;-)
And repeat after me: I, retrohead, am officially a proper jammy t... :lol: ;-)

So then, 2steppa, did you reflow these joints yet and if so, did that do the trick?

Status
Not open for further replies.