Sanyo M7880L mini not booming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Just got a lovely Sanyo M7880L, it's blue and pretty minty! Everything works but one channel is really quiet :thumbsdown: Same on tape, radio and line in.

I've cleaned all the switches and even the headphone socket but no joy. Can't work out how to get to the record bar to clean that so I did the press record then stop 20+ times but no improvement. Not worked on a mini before, it's a bit fiddly!!

Tried headphones in the headphone socket and its great on both channels :huh:

Gonna try a spare speaker tomorrow to see if the speaker is faulty but anyone got any suggestions after that? :-D

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Could be a faulty A/F amp as the headphone socket may be supplied from somewhere upstream of the output devices since 'phones don't need anywhere near as large an output in most cases, so are usually fed from the A/F preamp. The easiest way to check for a faulty speaker would surely be to swap the connections from one to the other and see whether the same channel is dead when you've done that.
As is the case with your Sharp, I'd gladly check this out for you if you should find yourself up this way.

ledmeter

Member (SA)
Jul 22, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Beosystem10 said:
Could be a faulty A/F amp as the headphone socket may be supplied from somewhere upstream of the output devices since 'phones don't need anywhere near as large an output in most cases, so are usually fed from the A/F preamp. The easiest way to check for a faulty speaker would surely be to swap the connections from one to the other and see whether the same channel is dead when you've done that.
As is the case with your Sharp, I'd gladly check this out for you if you should find yourself up this way.
:agree: yeah what he said.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Cheers John :-D I'll try speakers tomorrow when I'm not half asleep. Only got 3 minis so keen to get this one going, it's a really quality box and sooo skinny.

I can see me calling round yours with a selection of troublesome boxes :lol: :lol: ha ha, there's only this and the GF9000 giving me problems, all my others are fully functioning :thumbsup:

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
ledmeter said:
Beosystem10 said:
:agree: yeah what he said.
Thanks Warren :-D

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
OK so last night I had another go at this and managed to get to the record bar to clean it...no joy :no:

So I tested the speaker on the dodgy channel and it works fine so its an electronic fault beyond my meagre skills. So as a temporary fix I've desoldered the duff channel and jumpered the two speakers together...so now its a two speaker mono box :lol: As its such a tiny box with the speakers close together I doubt I'd notice the difference but if I take a trip to see John/Beosystem10 I'd take it with me to get sorted properly.

Best bit about joining the 2 speakers together is that the LEDs work on volume so you can slide the silent channel to full to maximise the LED bounce whilst controlling the actual volume with the other slider :yes:

Will finish the cleaning tonight then post the pics of this beauty :-D

mrp32

Member (SA)
Mar 23, 2010
The 7880 is a nice box hope you get it sorted, never seen a blue one, I have a red and black, you need to post some pictures working or not :yes:

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
mrp32 said:
The 7880 is a nice box hope you get it sorted, never seen a blue one, I have a red and black, you need to post some pictures working or not :yes:
Yeh the blue is gorgeous, kinda metallic almost, will post it later, need to get maximum gleem on it first :-D

Van Presence

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
Parnassus, NZ
Northerner said:
Yeh the blue is gorgeous, kinda metallic almost, will post it later, need to get maximum gleem on it first :-D
Iv got 1 in bits at the moment. Any chance you have a photo of how the belt goes on? Or how do you get deck out easily.
Cheers

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
I do take photos of fixes but this one is too long ago! The deck doesn’t come out. I seem to remember it being a bit fiddly and involving small gaps to get to the belts. I don’t have this one any more so can’t check

Van Presence

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
Parnassus, NZ
This is as far as got out, at this stage. Can probably get further, just have to squeeze all the wires around the frame.
_20180115_074835.JPG

This is as far as got out, at this stage. Can probably get further, just have to squeeze all the wires around the frame
_20180115_074835.JPG

Whoops. Twice

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
It looks like it takes one square belt that goes around both the flywheel and the white pulley ,then a flat belt from the flywheel to the motor spindle.

Van Presence

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
Parnassus, NZ
Oh. I actually found a belt when I took it apart. Nice that it was just broken, so I found another pretty much same size.
I figured it should be around all 3 wheels, but to do so it's got to be behind the little board and to be threaded over a pair of black wires going into the deck (where screwdriver is) Which means I have to get all wires/plugs out and get on the right side of the black wires. I think. Ha
IMG_20180115_125036.jpg

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
It looks to me like you can remove that small board or take the screws out and lift it up enough to slip the belt under it.

Status
Not open for further replies.