Anyone collect vintage Portable CRT TV's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb

Member (SA)
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto Canada
Anyone collect vintage CRT portable TV's ?
I started to collect vintage portable color tv's.
I usually get them for free, rescue from garbage or pay very little for them.

Managed to save this one from the garbage. Brought it home, cleaned it up,
plugged it in and works like new ! It has a few scratches here and there but nothing too visible. Love the fake woodgrain.lol

It is made in Singapore in 1987.
Anyone have any info on it ?
Model number is: Hitachi CT-1367
Hitachi Remote CLU-190

VIDEO:

http://youtu.be/Mc3Nfq8S3-g

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
I do love an old CRT, even my 405 line B&W sets work just fine with a device like the one shown below:

Even my everyday TV is a CRT, albeit a last of the line Trinitron with a pure flat screen and onboard DTT tuner. The one downside is that the tuner is 2K spec so only has 99 channel positions and needs to be tuned manually. Meh, who needs 300+ different stations?

Somewhere in the storage space that used to be a spare bedroom there's an early '70s Sony portable awaiting restoration. No SCARTs obviously, but I have an old set-top box that can connect via the aerial socket.

walkgirl

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Holland
Still the old sony tv from 1992 on the atic!!

I think it still might work! :yes:

you can have it for free but it is about 50 kg :-O

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Checked out an estate sale on Thursday in the posh City of Newton, MA. I counted 11 CRT TV's in 16 rooms! The consigner said all the TV's were free. I have enough TV's (all LCD) so I didn't take any. But I did score a pair of Toby D-60 speakers for Nut'in. And, boy-o-boy, they sound pretty sweet.
Oh, sorry. This is a TV thread. :lol:

Robb

Member (SA)
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto Canada
Just picked up this rare little thing today for free.
The original owner was gonna toss it out in the trash.
Here's my vintage 1979 Panasonic CT-778 Quintrix 2 Portable color tv with 7" screen.
Works like new.
Made in Japan.
Manufactured January 1979
Solid State
13 Channels VHF, 82 Channels UHF
a/c to d/c adapter included
weight 15 pounds
10" high, 8 1/2" wide, 12 1/2" long.

Here's some pictures and a video.

video ---- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKS3CK5ksig&feature=youtu.be

im_alan_partridge

Member (SA)
Jul 21, 2010
London, England.
I never really thought about people collecting old TV's.

1st thought that comes to mind is how much space 20, 30 even 40 TV's would take up.

2nd thought is a vintage TV forum where some dude asks if anyone collects boomers and someone replies like I did :p

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think it was like 10 years back or so I went to meet a guy who repairs tube radios. I was looking for parts for my high end Philips stereo radio. He took me to his basement. OMG I was amazed by the collection of CRT TVs he got there. The whole basement had tube radios and CRT TVs all covering the walls. He also had TV cameras put in the middle of every room. The tube radios he had were bigger than the size of a refrigerator. I took some pictures of it. During computer upgrades I stored them on DVDs and now I have no clue where those pictures are. He lives in Downers Grove. When he saw me breathless he was telling me 'Royce c'mon man, you should see what people got in the basement of some houses". He had high end tube amplifiers worth a fortune. The tubes on them were more than 6 inches tall and the quality of sound........out of this World!

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Robb said:
Just picked up this rare little thing today for free.
The original owner was gonna toss it out in the trash.
Here's my vintage 1979 Panasonic CT-778 Quintrix 2 Portable color tv with 7" screen.
Works like new.
Made in Japan.
Manufactured January 1979
Solid State
13 Channels VHF, 82 Channels UHF
a/c to d/c adapter included
weight 15 pounds
10" high, 8 1/2" wide, 12 1/2" long.
This little Panasonic just brought back some nice memories. This was my grandfather's porch TV, where he'd relax after working in the yard. He'd crack a beer on Saturday afternoon, turn on some golf, and swear at the TV for a couple of hours. It still sits in my grandmother's garage, who is now 95. 30 years later, I spend many a weekend afternoon swearing at golfers on TV. That is, if I'm not on the course swearing at myself.
:lol:

Robb

Member (SA)
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto Canada
Here's my vintage 1978 Simpsons-Sears (Sanyo) Model 14062 9" Color TV
Got this locally here in Toronto
Works and shows like new.
Made in Japan.
Manufactured April 1978

The same model tv was used in the 1997 Titanic movie at the beginning when old Rose was watching TV.

Attachments

Beosystem10

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2013
UK. 55.7710° N
Did Canada still have DC as late as 1978 then? That surprises me, the UK was AC only by the end of the 1950s even in the most out of the way places. Is it a universal chassis with a dropper or an AC only chassis with a vibrator for when it was plugged into a DC local supply? Either way, it's a stylish wee set and one that I'd happily accommodate if there's a PAL version.

Robb

Member (SA)
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto Canada
Beosystem10 said:
Did Canada still have DC as late as 1978 then? That surprises me, the UK was AC only by the end of the 1950s even in the most out of the way places. Is it a universal chassis with a dropper or an AC only chassis with a vibrator for when it was plugged into a DC local supply? Either way, it's a stylish wee set and one that I'd happily accommodate if there's a PAL version.
I think the DC part was for Cars or Boats. These are portable TV's.
I think it would come with an adapter cable for DC voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.