Received my Aiwa CS880. Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetboy220466

Member (SA)
Dec 20, 2012
Harrow, London
Last month i posted a thread about buying an Aiwa CS880 and how i was disappointed that there was a speaker where the Passive Radiator should be. I got my Aiwa back this Wednesday after being serviced and I decided to start playing some music just to test out the speakers, well as you would imagine from a 34year old machine the surrounds started disintegrating so i decided to open up the unit to refoam the two woofers and this is what i saw, take a look below.

so im appealing to each and everyone to help me find a Passive Radiator for my Aiwa CS880. Thank you

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Who is the idiot who sold you that box? It looks like it's got the factory passive on the front, but a Mitsubishi car speaker screwed to the back of it? :dunce:

Thankfully he never actually wired it up, or he would have messed up the whole box beyond repair.

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Agreed.
Is the front glued to the speaker ? That front piece is THE actual passive radiator piece.
You need to separate them and see if you can buy a foam to refoam it to the plastic outer piece without the need for the speaker on the back of it holding it in place.

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
Errmm...isn't a woofer that is not hooked up just LIKE a passive radiator? :huh: Or did I miss something here.

You do not need to bother finding another frame for the radiator. Just use the frame of that woofer, cut away the membrane and remove the magnet. :dunce:

Anyway - if it sounds good, don't touch it at all. There is NO WAY to tell that it is not the original way it has to be installed from the outside.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
mmcodomino said:
Errmm...isn't a woofer that is not hooked up just LIKE a passive radiator? :huh: Or did I miss something here.
Well a true passive doesn't need a voice coil.....it would make it too rigid.

sweetboy220466

Member (SA)
Dec 20, 2012
Harrow, London
Well guys, that fake Passive has not got the original Frame on it, so even if i cut away the speaker/membrane from it and add a rubber surround on the aluminium plate the back needs to be dead flat with a sponge backing on it, like the one in this picture.

Btw the person who sold me this box belongs to this very website he has the original passive frame but he's not making no effort to give it to me, i'm very disappointed with the guy cause he supposedly is meant to have a good rep.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
my advice , if you can't get a factory replacement just use what you got . ,I don't think it will hurt it ,actually might help out in the long run because i have seen these radiators deflect by several degrees due to the lack of a spider to control the diaphram movement , basically the cone wobbles .but there's no distortion involved just looks funny watching the radiator undulate in every direction. my only concern would be the xmax or peak to peak cone travel being limited by the spider thus causing power compression meaning the output does not incrementally increase with input power. that foam on the back of the radiator is to dampen the sound so it doesn't sound hollow because of the aluminum disc .i would re foam the outer speakers and see how it sounds then if you think it sucks try plan B.

when doing the re foam always attach the foam to the cone first and let that dry while checking to be sure everything stays glued , after that dries then glue the foam to the frame ,as its drying occasionally press down on the cones to be sure they do not rub you can adjust it while the glue it wet , once they are centered just let the glue set and check it regularly.
i use a small brush to apply the glue and use the brush to push down any spots on the foam that pop up . the speaker cones and frames have to be cleaned of old material first before you start. take .

sorry i aint' been much help on this but youtube has plenty of video's showing how to do these .

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I have an 880 too, and it was refoamed, but I cannot leave the DSL on past 2 on the volume, because the passive will distort/fart.

DSL is only useful for classical or jazz, in my opinion. For modern music, you need to leave it Off.

sweetboy220466

Member (SA)
Dec 20, 2012
Harrow, London
Reli said:
I have an 880 too, and it was refoamed, but I cannot leave the DSL on past 2 on the volume, because the passive will distort/fart.

DSL is only useful for classical or jazz, in my opinion. For modern music, you need to leave it Off.
Yeah, i hear what your saying man, i had the same problem and then the woofers foams started to disintegrate but then i think that was the reason, once i get that passive and i refoam the speakers then it'll be back to its pristine self

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
sweetboy220466 said:
Hey JVC Floyd u have been a big help, ive watched a vid already on how to glue a rubber surround around the cone of the woofers, ive ordered these rubber surrounds below
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-CASTLE-ACOU ... 8230676%26
And ordered this glue too.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360200486584? ... 1497.l2649
i was thinking of ordering a ting paint brush but i think ill stick to plain old cotton buds..lol

DO NOT USE COTTON IT WILL GET ON EVERYTHING AND LEAVE FIBERS .

use a small hobby brush with stiff bristles , you can buy them wherever school supplies are sold or craft shops. the ones i use are only 1/2 inch wide . you need these to get into the hard to reach places while working.

Superduper

Member (SA)
It doesn't really much matter what it looks like from the backside. Only YOU know that it's not original and once you make it functional again, it probably will not be perform much different than original. If you really want it to remain as original as possible, you can just use the frame you have there since it fits. Once you've cut away everything except the front frame, you can simply glue the surround to the plate first, then to the frame. The foam you can probably find at a hobby and crafts store, or they use to include thin foam sheets like that with computer motherboards and other computer stuff, if you are into that.

BTW, the first CS-880 I bought also had a speaker in place of the original passive radiator. My disc was gone though, just the car speaker that was wired to one side. So one channel was powering that speaker AND the center speaker. The other side powering itself. Yours is much better condition than mine ever was. It has become a forever project and 3 years later, still not done. I guess what I'm saying is that while you are probably angry that you got a speaker in place of the passive, it could be worse. Mine was.

Reli: As for the farting with DSL on..... I don't recall mine doing that.

Just curious who it was that sold this to you?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Superduper said:
Tune to 102.9 or any other R&B station.......The deep bass is too much for it.

Bass knob set on max, and DSL on. It will fart if you turn it up past 2, unless of course you reduce the Bass or shut off the DSL.

Could be that whoever refoamed it didn't do it right, or it could be the way I use the controls. I always max the Bass knob on all my boxes, because I listen at lower volumes than most of you. This is my only box where I can't do that (unless the DSL is off).

It's weird, because I can turn off the DSL and crank the volume up to 5 or 6 and not get any farts at all, even though the passive is shaking. Sounds fantastic. But if the DSL is on, it starts farting at only 1 or 2 on the volume knob, with modern hiphop/R&B music. Summary: I think DSL sucks.

sweetboy220466

Member (SA)
Dec 20, 2012
Harrow, London
Reli said:
Superduper said:
Tune to 102.9 or any other R&B station.......The deep bass is too much for it.

Bass knob set on max, and DSL on. It will fart if you turn it up past 2, unless of course you reduce the Bass or shut off the DSL.

Could be that whoever refoamed it didn't do it right, or it could be the way I use the controls. I always max the Bass knob on all my boxes, because I listen at lower volumes than most of you. This is my only box where I can't do that (unless the DSL is off).

It's weird, because I can turn off the DSL and crank the volume up to 5 or 6 and not get any farts at all, even though the passive is shaking. Sounds fantastic. But if the DSL is on, it starts farting at only 1 or 2 on the volume knob, with modern hiphop/R&B music. Summary: I think DSL sucks.
If i were you mate i'd get it looked at and serviced

tshorba

Member (SA)
May 10, 2009
South West Victoria
A few members have used a Polk Audio 6.5" Passive as a replacement, might be a bit hard to find now. The easiest solution would be to cut the basket off the frame to leave only the mounting flange, remove the passive disc off the existing driver and fit to the new mounting flange/frame

sweetboy220466 said:
the back needs to be dead flat with a sponge backing on it, like the one in this picture.
The foam is there to dampen the Alu disc to prevent any ringing that may occur.

sweetboy220466 said:
Btw the person who sold me this box belongs to this very website he has the original passive frame but he's not making no effort to give it to me, i'm very disappointed with the guy cause he supposedly is meant to have a good rep.
If they ignore the issue then call them out on the sellers feedback section

JVC Floyd said:
because i have seen these radiators deflect by several degrees due to the lack of a spider to control the diaphram movement , basically the cone wobbles .but there's no distortion involved just looks funny watching the radiator undulate in every direction.
Surely this would be due to the age of the suspension (foam) Sag does occur on dynamic drivers with spiders and voice coils as they age, all drivers should be rotated in their mounting over time to prevent this. I have owned a number of speakers (home hi-fi) with passive radiators and don't have this problem myself.

Superduper

Member (SA)
tshorba said:
A few members have used a Polk Audio 6.5" Passive as a replacement, might be a bit hard to find now. The easiest solution would be to cut the basket off the frame to leave only the mounting flange, remove the passive disc off the existing driver and fit to the new mounting flange/frame

JVC Floyd said:
because i have seen these radiators deflect by several degrees due to the lack of a spider to control the diaphram movement , basically the cone wobbles .but there's no distortion involved just looks funny watching the radiator undulate in every direction.
Surely this would be due to the age of the suspension (foam) Sag does occur on dynamic drivers with spiders and voice coils as they age, all drivers should be rotated in their mounting over time to prevent this. I have owned a number of speakers (home hi-fi) with passive radiators and don't have this problem myself.
I bought a pair of the Polk passives....... used one and sent the other to Rick (glucifer). Not sure if he ever got them fitted and how they sound.
AS for the deflection... I think I'd have to agree with Matt about the worn surrounds, maybe unevenly. On one of my 880's, I refoamed the disk as it was already gone and played it hard afterwards. I never once saw the disc undulate in any weird fashion. It vibrated quite evenly too, and on mine, I "chromed" my disk. Well, actually I laminated a mylar film onto it so any movement on that disc actually is quite pronounced. :w00t: :lol: :lol: It's done so I'll leave it but if I were to redo, next time around I might just paint it silver.

sweetboy220466

Member (SA)
Dec 20, 2012
Harrow, London
tshorba said:

sweetboy220466 said:
the back needs to be dead flat with a sponge backing on it, like the one in this picture.
The foam is there to dampen the Alu disc to prevent any ringing that may occur.

sweetboy220466 said:
If they ignore the issue then call them out on the sellers feedback section

JVC Floyd said:

Status
Not open for further replies.