JVC Kaboom box steal!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
I had to share this with my fellow boomboxers....I scored a pristine JVC Kaboom model RV-B90 from craigslist for a paltry $65. When I went to meet the little old lady who was selling it I almost felt like a thief getting such a perfect box for so little. She obviously did not know what she had. It had been sitting on a shelf in her closet and looked as if it had never been used. Aside from some very minor dust the unit is perfect! It came complete with the power cord, remote, manual, and the shoulder strap was still in the original plastic!...the remote still had the original batteries from the factory!! An absolute steal. Tape deck and cd function perfectly and the battery compartment had never even been opened...once I dust it off I will post pics....

milosancho

Member (SA)
Jun 2, 2009
Central Coast, California
Dang! Nice score. The box and price sounds familiar. Do you live in California? If yes, I too emailed the owner and she was all about first to arrive takes it. She also mentioned that there was a lot of interest in the box.

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
milosancho said:
Dang! Nice score. The box and price sounds familiar. Do you live in California? If yes, I too emailed the owner and she was all about first to arrive takes it. She also mentioned that there was a lot of interest in the box.
I saw that one as well but didn't contact the seller because it was a little to far from me. :thumbsdown:

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
...yes milosancho I do live in Northern Cali...I went and picked it up immediatedly. It is easily a 9.8 out of 10. (took off .2 for a tiny scratch under the subwoofer) She even had all the manuals, JVC service center sheet, original warranty paperwork...the only thing missing was the box. I soon as I figure out how to post pics I will put some up.
....here are some pics...

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
What a great score! :thumbsup:
I picked one up on CL a little while back, but the condition isn't even close to yours.
I'm surprised to see the sub covers and knobs don't look gooey.
You could probably quadruple your money. :yes:
Does the orange back-light on the display work? I notice a lot of them are out on the B-90's.

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
Wow not bad!

One thing what the hell was granny doing with a Kaboom? I wonder if she had a cardboard somewhere in the house for freestyling. :thumbsup:

KaBoomeRain

Oct 26, 2014
Detroit
@ MellyMelSr - Congratulations on a great purchase! What a great story too! I've got two RV B90's, one that I just recently acquired and I thought it would be a good story to tell. Nowhere near as good as yours but a good find nonetheless. The first one that I have I bought brand new in 98 or 99. Over time the knobs got gooey and the cassette started acting up. I - like many KaBoom owners just don't want to let it go. I found an authorized dealer to check it out and they told me that it would be at LEAST $100.00 to check it out. I suddenly became apprehensive and while I kicked the notion of paying that much for a possible repair, the lady showed me one that she said they used in the shop for background music. I was like wow! It's just like mine. She told me that they couldn't get the part that it needed and the customer therefore abandoned it. I went home a little desponded but never forgot that unit sitting there. And then I got the idea that maybe they'll sell me the parts I need. I went back there a couple weeks later and asked the guy (this time) if he'd sell me some parts and he agreed, and then asked if he'd sell the whole thing, and again, he agreed. I asked how much? He said $25.00, and I got the unit now. What was so amazing to me was the unit worked perfectly except the cassette( just like my original one), which is alright with me because I don't listen to cassettes anyway. I stripped off the goo from the woofer covers and the knobs and bought a blue tooth adapter and have been jamming ever since. The $25.00 unit didn't come with the remote or strap but it come with all the BOOM they're famous for. That's it in my avatar.

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
I have the white and silver Kaboom and I think they are the best looking ones.

I think the white Kaboom will become a rare one that will be sought out by collectors it can be the next holy grail next to the M-90.

Just my 2 cents.

mancardo

Member (SA)
Jun 8, 2012
Goodyear, AZ U.S.
KaBoomeRain said:
@ MellyMelSr - Congratulations on a great purchase! What a great story too! I've got two RV B90's, one that I just recently acquired and I thought it would be a good story to tell. Nowhere near as good as yours but a good find nonetheless. The first one that I have I bought brand new in 98 or 99. Over time the knobs got gooey and the cassette started acting up. I - like many KaBoom owners just don't want to let it go. I found an authorized dealer to check it out and they told me that it would be at LEAST $100.00 to check it out. I suddenly became apprehensive and while I kicked the notion of paying that much for a possible repair, the lady showed me one that she said they used in the shop for background music. I was like wow! It's just like mine. She told me that they couldn't get the part that it needed and the customer therefore abandoned it. I went home a little desponded but never forgot that unit sitting there. And then I got the idea that maybe they'll sell me the parts I need. I went back there a couple weeks later and asked the guy (this time) if he'd sell me some parts and he agreed, and then asked if he'd sell the whole thing, and again, he agreed. I asked how much? He said $25.00, and I got the unit now. What was so amazing to me was the unit worked perfectly except the cassette( just like my original one), which is alright with me because I don't listen to cassettes anyway. I stripped off the goo from the woofer covers and the knobs and bought a blue tooth adapter and have been jamming ever since. The $25.00 unit didn't come with the remote or strap but it come with all the BOOM they're famous for. That's it in my avatar.
what Blue tooth adapter did you buy for the Kaboom?

Status
Not open for further replies.