i-pod hook up to my 7980

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rollerball

Member (SA)
Dec 29, 2012
Oakville,Ontario,Canada
Hey all! New here so bare with me!

Just grabbed my first boom box. A Clairtone 7980. As far as I can tell everything works with the exception of the light for the radio dial.

I bought monster cables to hook up my i-pod ( I need to get some cassettes) but found that the output of sound was dismal at best.

Is this because my i-pod shuffle has no "jam" or ooompf ?

On any other pre select the things BOOMS!! but with my i-pod it sucks.

Help!?

Eddy

Member (SA)
May 20, 2009
I have an old sony discman that i use on my boxes. Sounds very sweet

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
If the Clairtone is the same as the Conion, there should be a switch on the back that should be set to "Line In", rather than "Phono" (this is just a suggestion for a starting point).
The tuner dial light is an easy change. They are available through many different suppliers, but if you have never opened one of these boxes, you may want to hold off for a little bit and brush up by reading through the forum.
Without Boomboxery, my C-100 would have been "Dumpster Bound."
Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
:-)

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
If its set to line in and not phono then both the function switch and the switch for line in/phono probably needs cleaning with detoxit or other contact switch cleaner ;-)

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
It's unlikely that your Ipod is at fault. If you have a Phone/Line In selector switch, that can cause issues as it is a switch that rarely gets any use over the years. You very rarely switch from Line-In to Phono so the switches become gummed up and can require extensive work to get right. I've had some switches that have taken over 5 applications of switch cleaner/lube plus hundreds of switches back and forth to restore function. The switch if not operating properly, allows the boombox to accept signals to the phono circuit that should go to the line in circuitry. This normally caused distortion and thus a very poor sound.

If your unit does not have such a switch, you could try cleaning the line in RCA inputs / 5 Din inputs. Other than that, you may have a more serious issue. :thumbsdown:

Most boomboxes require full volume on your Ipod to allow for acceptable volume levels. Although some boomboxes only require 1/3rd to 1/2 Ipod volume with excessive distortion resulting over that volume level.

Good luck,

James.... :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.