Trc 918 L/CH out service tech gave up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokbox2112

Member (SA)
Dec 11, 2012
Orange,California
:-/ I have a Lasonic 918 I got a a swapmeet for a $7.00 buy No B.S :yes: Powers up Radio/cassette works. Problem was Right ch full power. L /ch out. heavy Hum. turn bal all the way can hear radio/tape from Left tweeter Only :hmmm: Took to a certified tech in vintage audio. Bad deal. :-O $118.00 basic resistor and some soldered connections restored. Tech found wires going to no where :sadno: and grounds to??? sTILL BANGS but guys at Lasonic are straight up Crooked and wacked! :nonono:
No response nada! WTF! you in biz for? So
What should be done my brothas? Chrome restored from other box,handle.antannes.etc. :sad: guess should part it as a loss. pic of it is in my post( toys in a corner.)

Cpl-Chronic

Member (SA)
May 14, 2012
Windsor, Ontario, CANADA
Hard to know where to start. SuperDuper would have some great advice here. He's good with the electronics side. My ameteurish guess would be a blown woofer or bad capacitor in the left channel amp circuit, maybe?

rokbox2112

Member (SA)
Dec 11, 2012
Orange,California
:nonono:
Cpl-Chronic said:
Hard to know where to start. SuperDuper would have some great advice here. He's good with the electronics side. My ameteurish guess would be a blown woofer or bad capacitor in the left channel amp circuit, maybe?
:nonono: I didnt want to open this badboy up after it was serviced but heres the mystery look. see ground wire? and a cap that i never seen on any other unit too. Strange :-O The pcb has a wierd resin look too thick. :-/
WOOOOWWWW!

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
that black ground wire goes to the metal chassis connected to the deck , right where the wire ends there's a screw that goes through the black plastic into metal.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
baddboybill said:
The ground wire wouldn't have anything to do with left channel being out though. That's just to ground deck :hmmm:

maybe, but i had mine apart about 27 times and i know that wire well :lol:

prolly should be connected .

rokbox2112

Member (SA)
Dec 11, 2012
Orange,California
baddboybill said:
JVC Floyd said:
baddboybill said:
The ground wire wouldn't have anything to do with left channel being out though. That's just to ground deck :hmmm:

:agree: it grounds deck for sure :-)

Bad Boy Bill
ok i will get that ground connected,can you tell me about that cap on led pcb :hmmm: seem a guy replace tweets youtube vid no cap on his unit, theres a smaller added just above to the right.faded blue cap thin :huh:

rokbox2112

Member (SA)
Dec 11, 2012
Orange,California
:yes:
Cpl-Chronic said:
:yes: well i hooked the left woof to a small amp its running and as mentioned. turn bal dial all the way and you can hear sound faint in tweeter. :thumbsdown: the pic of the box running is the tape, note LEDs are Peeking L ch is just showing ground hum sound right is responding to a jam called thanks to you/Cinnimon :-)

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
rokbox2112 said:
baddboybill said:
JVC Floyd said:
baddboybill said:

:agree: it grounds deck for sure :-)

Bad Boy Bill
ok i will get that ground connected,can you tell me about that cap on led pcb :hmmm: seem a guy replace tweets youtube vid no cap on his unit, theres a smaller added just above to the right.faded blue cap thin :huh:
One thing you will find out about Lasonic is that they used different manufacturers so different parts and even boards were used ;-)

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
that must be a rare version of the 918 because i never seen one with the silver tuner scale, as far as the cap on the vu meters , ,they are different from my 918 but lasonic used these often in their vu meters.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
JVC Floyd said:
that must be a rare version of the 918 because i never seen one with the silver tuner scale, as far as the cap on the vu meters , ,they are different from my 918 but lasonic used these often in their vu meters.
Yeah and the tweeter grills look like the 920 grills. Lasonic mix and matches parts now so they probably did same back in 80's :yes:

Superduper

Member (SA)
I'm a litle confused about the complaints. But from what I can make out, one channel is out but tweeter on that side is working. Then there is question about a capacitor. Then there is a hum although it's not made clear when that happens. Then there is the disconnected black wire. Then there is complaint about what looks like resin. Then there is some complaint bout Lasonic not being responsive. Then something about paying a certified tech in audio who charged $118 to replace a resistor and some solder connections.

(1) If the tweeter is working but you hear no sound from the woofer, then it sounds to me like the woofer is blown.
(2) Like others have said, the black wire with ring terminal is to ground the deck. Without a proper ground, the deck can "hum."
(3) If the ground does not fix the hum, then the issue can be (a) broken head ground wires (b) bad electrolytic capacitors or (c) failing amplifier module.
(4) I see nothing wrong with that capacitor being there. Don't waste another minute of your (or our) life thinking about it anymore.
(5) the soldering process requires flux to clean metal during the soldering process in order to make good connection. Some flux requires removal after soldering to prevent corrossion. Rosin is very frequently used as a flux for use in electronics. It is deemed safe for use and non-corrossive. Many manufacturers leave it after the soldering process. Good practice is to remove it which you can do if it "bothers" you with a q-tip and isopropyl alcohol. Also, some contact cement is used to affix heavy components such as large capacitors. If not affixed, over time, heavy components can tear the solder traces from the boards. Lastly, those thick gobs on the tuner board are wax holding the position and shape of components in place to set them so the board can be aligned. Any movement of components, or even the shape of the copper wire coils will affect tuner alignment. The was prevents the movement. If you mess with those, don't be suprised if your tuner is all out of wack afterwards. In other words, leave it alone and move along... nothing to see here.
(6) I am puzzled as to why you think Lasonic needs to comment on a 35 year old item that is probably 34 years out of warranty. The boombox is deemed to be obsolete and no longer supported. Direct your anger elsewhere.......
(7)....... your "certified" tech.... I wonder why for what he charged you, that he hasn't determined the root of your problems. First, if the problem turns out to be a blown woofer, your tech owes you a refund of the entire service because that is something that he should've been able to figure out easily and if he missed it, then he isn't competent. However, there is certainly a possibility that the issue is in the circuitry and no Lasonic service manuals exist that I'm aware of which certainly makes troubleshooting circuitry 10 times harder. However, he should not have attempted the fix if he could not locate the manual since it seems he was not interested in investing the extra time necessary to troubleshoot without a manual. But then again, we don't know details, only what you mentioned in your post so I'll not blame him for now.... just that something doesn't add up. Hard to know what he charged $118 for if he couldn't even tell you what is wrong with your box.

rokbox2112

Member (SA)
Dec 11, 2012
Orange,California
Superduper said:
I'm a litle confused about the complaints. But from what I can make out, one channel is out but tweeter on that side is working. Then there is question about a capacitor. Then there is a hum although it's not made clear when that happens. Then there is the disconnected black wire. Then there is complaint about what looks like resin. Then there is some complaint bout Lasonic not being responsive. Then something about paying a certified tech in audio who charged $118 to replace a resistor and some solder connections.

(1) If the tweeter is working but you hear no sound from the woofer, then it sounds to me like the woofer is blown.
(2) Like others have said, the black wire with ring terminal is to ground the deck. Without a proper ground, the deck can "hum."
(3) If the ground does not fix the hum, then the issue can be (a) broken head ground wires (b) bad electrolytic capacitors or (c) failing amplifier module.
(4) I see nothing wrong with that capacitor being there. Don't waste another minute of your (or our) life thinking about it anymore.
(5) the soldering process requires flux to clean metal during the soldering process in order to make good connection. Some flux requires removal after soldering to prevent corrossion. Rosin is very frequently used as a flux for use in electronics. It is deemed safe for use and non-corrossive. Many manufacturers leave it after the soldering process. Good practice is to remove it which you can do if it "bothers" you with a q-tip and isopropyl alcohol. Also, some contact cement is used to affix heavy components such as large capacitors. If not affixed, over time, heavy components can tear the solder traces from the boards. Lastly, those thick gobs on the tuner board are wax holding the position and shape of components in place to set them so the board can be aligned. Any movement of components, or even the shape of the copper wire coils will affect tuner alignment. The was prevents the movement. If you mess with those, don't be suprised if your tuner is all out of wack afterwards. In other words, leave it alone and move along... nothing to see here.
(6) I am puzzled as to why you think Lasonic needs to comment on a 35 year old item that is probably 34 years out of warranty. The boombox is deemed to be obsolete and no longer supported. Direct your anger elsewhere.......
(7)....... your "certified" tech.... I wonder why for what he charged you, that he hasn't determined the root of your problems. First, if the problem turns out to be a blown woofer, your tech owes you a refund of the entire service because that is something that he should've been able to figure out easily and if he missed it, then he isn't competent. However, there is certainly a possibility that the issue is in the circuitry and no Lasonic service manuals exist that I'm aware of which certainly makes troubleshooting circuitry 10 times harder. However, he should not have attempted the fix if he could not locate the manual since it seems he was not interested in investing the extra time necessary to troubleshoot without a manual. But then again, we don't know details, only what you mentioned in your post so I'll not blame him for now.... just that something doesn't add up. Hard to know what he charged $118 for if he couldn't even tell you what is wrong with your box.
Was charged $45.00 fee to open and do basic service,belts electro circuit testing etc. Lasonic didn't want to assit tech on questions. Labor/few parts :-/ But don't matter. was a bad $7.00 buy from the begining. trashed it to a kid last night as is for $30.00 :'-( It paid a utility bill. I wont buy lasonic radios anymore too hard to get repaired/local techs that specialize only on Boxes. Its ok. You guys helped me on a helix and its bang at full speed.this site has been a godsend... :yes: Educate thats the key here.That I so mindful for...

Status
Not open for further replies.