RC-M70 speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
I am restoring my RC-M70 and the speakers are very dusty. Does anyone know how to safely clean the speakers so they look blue again?? I hear the speaker grills are impossible to remove.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
mellymelsr said:
I am restoring my RC-M70 and the speakers are very dusty. Does anyone know how to safely clean the speakers so they look blue again?? I hear the speaker grills are impossible to remove.
I use a paint brush to remove dust and dirt from speakers. More than likely, the M70's blue speakers will be faded in the front but still blue on the backside of the cone.

For the grille, you'll have to do a lot of masking with tape and newspapers if you want to repaint them. :yes:

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
You have to gut the whole box to get the speakers out for cleaning.
I usually dry brush the dust off then very carefully use a very slightly damp sponge on the dustcaps

Maxx134

Member (SA)
Mar 26, 2012
NYC USA
hemiguy2006 said:
You have to gut the whole box to get the speakers out for cleaning.
I usually dry brush the dust off then very carefully use a very slightly damp sponge on the dustcaps
At one point I was considering replacing the woofer/tweeters with Infinity reference 6030cs component car speakers,
They seemed like they would fit but the 2ohm rating might have taxed the amp.
Anyway I sold my unit a while ago and now looking for another lol.

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
Never understood why they freaking welded (epoxied) the grills to the case then screwed the trim rings on, the trim rings would hold the grills on by themselves.
I'd love to hear a technique to remove the grills if anybody has done it without damaging the case. :hmmm:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I removed them without damaging the case..... you basically get a flat blade screwdriver and wiggle/pry under the glued edge of the grill. It's actually pretty easy.

MasterBlaster84

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Northern California
blu_fuz said:
I removed them without damaging the case..... you basically get a flat blade screwdriver and wiggle/pry under the glued edge of the grill. It's actually pretty easy.
Interesting, I tried that with a parts box I had and the grills wouldn't come loose no matter what I tried. If I ever get another parts box I'll have to try your technique again.

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
I've used a hair dryer or heat gun set on low heat to make the glue around the speakergrills soft,the just use Joe's method to pry them up. ;-) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Be VERY careful with the heat though....... :nonono: :grim:

Vintage Man

Member (SA)
Apr 18, 2013
OSHAWA ONTARIO CANADA
gmail.com
MasterBlaster84 said:
Never understood why they freaking welded (epoxied) the grills to the case then screwed the trim rings on, the trim rings would hold the grills on by themselves.
I'd love to hear a technique to remove the grills if anybody has done it without damaging the case. :hmmm:
VERY CAREFULLY DAB ON A QTIP SOME GOO BE GONE. SOLD IN STORES... LET IT SIT A BIT. THEN START GENTLY PULLING UP AROUND THE GRILL.. DO NOT GET THIS STUFF ON YOUR FINISH.. IT WILL FRICK IT UP....AND THERE OFF FOR PAINTING

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
blu_fuz said:
Another old thread, but my technique still works. I've worked on at least 6-8 JVC M70/M71 boomboxes and it's the same for them all.

After you remove the allen screws from the grill ring, gently use a small flat blade screw driver to pop the ring off the grill. Work it loose around the ring as you go. Then stick the flat blade screwdriver under the grill at one of the screw notches. Gently pry up until you can get the blade inbetween the case and the grill and twist the screwdriver and it will pop the glue as you work around the edge.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
blu_fuz said:
Another old thread, but my technique still works. I've worked on at least 6-8 JVC M70/M71 boomboxes and it's the same for them all.
yeah, I did that with mine and whilst it wasn't keen to shift it did eventually and with no damage, just have to be careful :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.