help a newbie fix his first boombox-D8443

Status
Not open for further replies.

coupe68

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2012
Delaware
So, I just drove 45 minutes to pick up my first boombox to play some of my old cassettes, and when I got it home, the thing ate 2 of my cassettes! It is a magnavox D8443. The guy said everything worked fine but apparently not! The radio and speakers work good though. Details...when I fast forward, the right "thing" spins nice and fast, and when I rewind, the left "thing" spins fast as well. However when I click play the left one doesn't want to turn. I have to like push it along and it seems stuck, but the thing above it is turning when I push play though. I tried the q-tib/alcohol trick with no luck. I have no idea how to work on these, but I want to listen to my cassettes pretty bad. Oh, it is the left side of the tape that gets pulled in and eaten up. Do you think it could be the belts if everything turns fin in ff and reverse but just not in play? Any ideas? Thanks a lot for your time

-Ryan

LJV

Member (SA)
Nov 18, 2012
If everything meant to be turning than belts are ok. English is not my first language so I don't know how the part is called, it might be oxidated and stuck axle of that rubber wheel or that thin metal roller beneath. Try it with your finger without turning anything on. Just open the door, remove the tape and check of rubber wheel is rotating freely when it isn't in play position. Previous owner is not to be blamed, since it might have worked for him, and than just snapped. I'd open it up and clean all axles with WD40.

my 2 cents

devol-toni

Member (SA)
May 15, 2009
Macedonia, Skopje City
baddboybill said:
If its eating tapes then take up reel not spinning. Either needs new belts or possible bad gear which is common in these units :thumbsdown:
:agree:

And I suggest do not use WD40 for any treatment in the deck. :nonono:
It's may to harm the rubber tires and other sensitive plastic parts in the deck. It also attracts dust and dirt. :thumbsdown:

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
devol-toni said:
baddboybill said:
If its eating tapes then take up reel not spinning. Either needs new belts or possible bad gear which is common in these units :thumbsdown:

It's may to harm the rubber tires and other sensitive plastic parts in the deck. It also attracts dust and dirt. :thumbsdown:
:agree: WD40 very bad :nonono:

coupe68

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2012
Delaware
Ok, so do you guys suggest getting new belts before trying anything else? What size are the belts, how many do I need, and where can I purchase them for a good price? Thanks for all your input guys and I'll keep away from the WD40 haha

LJV

Member (SA)
Nov 18, 2012
When I wrote WD40, I certainly didn't have in mind sprayin it.. Spray a bit of it in some cup, than dip in a toothpick, and apply less than a tiny drop on oxidated or corroded axle.

coupe68

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2012
Delaware
After taking it apart, it is the little gear that is busted apart. The belts are fine. I guess I should just give up because it looks like this part is impossible to locate anymore.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
coupe68 said:
After taking it apart, it is the little gear that is busted apart. The belts are fine. I guess I should just give up because it looks like this part is impossible to locate anymore.
i have a d8443 parts box
not sure if the deck works because somebody shot an arrow through the tuner board.but i will check too see if it has the same part intact.

i need screws out of the parts box for my other working d8443 so i will check it out.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
baddboybill said:
devol-toni said:
baddboybill said:

:agree: WD40 very bad :nonono:
:agree: :agree: Don't bring WD40 near a boombox. :nonono: :nonono: :nonono: Keep it in the garage where it belongs, or to kill wasps and hornets. Trust me it is very good for that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
well i have all 3 of those yellow gears from the deck in perfect condition :-D just took them out and boxed them up .
let me know where to send them .

VintageVolts

Member (SA)
Feb 25, 2013
York, PA
www.vintagevolts.com
I had the same problem with a broken gear on the D8443 I bought late last year.

I had since been able to get a replacement gear fabricated for it. I installed it last night and so far, it's working great. I played six tapes so far (front and back) and it's still holding up. I plan on giving it a thorough workout over the next two weeks to see if the gear is durable enough.

In the meantime, I'm gauging interest in having the replacement gear mass manufactured. Is there anybody who might be interested in acquiring this particular replacement gear?

I uploaded an image of the gear, installed, to show that it is real. it is the bright white one in the lower part of the picture.

Thanks,
Jeff
vintagevolts.com

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
VintageVolts said:
I had the same problem with a broken gear on the D8443 I bought late last year.

I had since been able to get a replacement gear fabricated for it. I installed it last night and so far, it's working great. I played six tapes so far (front and back) and it's still holding up. I plan on giving it a thorough workout over the next two weeks to see if the gear is durable enough.

In the meantime, I'm gauging interest in having the replacement gear mass manufactured. Is there anybody who might be interested in acquiring this particular replacement gear?

I uploaded an image of the gear, installed, to show that it is real. it is the bright white one in the lower part of the picture.

Thanks,
Jeff
vintagevolts.com

http://www.boomboxery.com/forum/uploads/vintagevolts-5396/gear.jpg
Hey that's awesome :thumbsup: so what will cost be?

VintageVolts

Member (SA)
Feb 25, 2013
York, PA
www.vintagevolts.com
baddboybill said:
Thanks!!

There are two factors which will affect the pricing.

1) The durability of the material. The replacement gear is nylon based. There is a middle ground in price/durability which I haven't completely explored. That's why I want to perform some rigorous testing on the gear to test for wear. I have two identical gears. After the testing period, I want to compare them to each other to determine wear and fit. If I need to use a stronger material, the price will most likely increase.

2) The economies of scale. The more I can get made at once, the cheaper they can be made. Ideally, only one gear would be needed as it is hoped to last forever. But, you never know how long they will last under normal use, so having spares might be handy.

My target price is $15, delivered, at least to the Continental US (international might require additional postage). I'll probably offer discounts on additional quantities in the same order. I'm currently working on video instructions to be accessed online to guide people through the installation process.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Well I think $15 is great price and since 90% of these units have same issue I can't see why you couldn't get many buyers. Also you could probably have extras and sell on ebay. I would even buy one just to have. Never know when you could pick up one of these :-)

Alberto

Member (SA)
Jan 3, 2013
Wallingford,Ct. USA
VintageVolts said:
baddboybill said:
Thanks!!

There are two factors which will affect the pricing.

1) The durability of the material. The replacement gear is nylon based. There is a middle ground in price/durability which I haven't completely explored. That's why I want to perform some rigorous testing on the gear to test for wear. I have two identical gears. After the testing period, I want to compare them to each other to determine wear and fit. If I need to use a stronger material, the price will most likely increase.

2) The economies of scale. The more I can get made at once, the cheaper they can be made. Ideally, only one gear would be needed as it is hoped to last forever. But, you never know how long they will last under normal use, so having spares might be handy.

My target price is $15, delivered, at least to the Continental US (international might require additional postage). I'll probably offer discounts on additional quantities in the same order. I'm currently working on video instructions to be accessed online to guide people through the installation process.
i WANT A FEW!! :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.