TRC-931 Top Tape Deck Stopped Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaeStylez

Member (SA)
Nov 28, 2012
Phoenix
Thank you for reading in advance.

OK. So when I bought my Lasonic, it was fully functional except for the bottom deck. Top deck worked just fine. Until now. What I noticed is that as soon as you pop that tape in, a light turns on and it immediately starts playing. So after awhile, I tried playing a tape, and the light didn't turn on, and the tape didn't play. So I ejected the tape (sometimes having it get stuck and i had to hold the eject button down to pop it out) and then i would try the tape again and THEN it would work . . So I figured ok, it's just getting old, i guess . . But NOW no matter how many times i try popping that tape in, no more light, no more tape starting to play. And now my heart is broken. ANY HELP WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED. I'm located in Phx, AZ . . JUST IN CASE someone might be close by . . :-/

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
It's just not fully going in and activating switch. For one thing because its old and because these are not best built boxes you need to be careful when doing things. :thumbsup:

JaeStylez

Member (SA)
Nov 28, 2012
Phoenix
Thank you for your prompt response ! ! :D
So, if I were to disassemble my Lasonic and remove the back piece, where would this activating switch be located?? And what does it look like?? Do you even recommend someone who has never taken a Lasonic apart, to take a Lasonic apart?? I understand it's simple to do, I surely wouldn't tamper with much.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
You shouldn't have to disassemble it. If tape don't go in just right then it won't play. But as you say you tried again and it worked. I would certainly just be cautious when putting tape in so it fully goes in. The micro switch I'm speaking of is located on deck. If you have no experience I would not recommend trying to repair. Another bad thing about Lasonics are all wires are soldered in unlike many Boomboxes which have plugs.... Good luck

Macdude443

Member (SA)
May 21, 2009
Johnstown, PA
The switch that controls the forward/reverse audio for the tape head has problems, too. I shot some de-oxit into mine and hit the PROG buttons a few times to work in the cleaner. That solved my periodic lack of a right channel and a bunch of noise.

I haven't looked at exactly how it handles power switching, but I'll be back in it in the next few days. If no one answers by then I'll reply with a description of what to look for.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Macdude443 said:
The switch that controls the forward/reverse audio for the tape head has problems, too. I shot some de-oxit into mine and hit the PROG buttons a few times to work in the cleaner. That solved my periodic lack of a right channel and a bunch of noise.

I haven't looked at exactly how it handles power switching, but I'll be back in it in the next few days. If no one answers by then I'll reply with a description of what to look for.
You are assuming its a 2nd or 3rd Edition as the 1st edition has no program button just FF/eject. Most likely problem is cassette did not properly go in all the way causing switch not to activate and giving him a hard time with ejecting ;-)

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Macdude443 said:
I wasn't aware of that on the first version. My mistake.
Yeah I don't even know which version he has :hmmm: but after he got tape out and tried it again it worked and I have seen tapes get jammed not going in to slotted deck evenly. Hopefully that's the case here since he was able to get deck working after he got tape out :-)

JaeStylez

Member (SA)
Nov 28, 2012
Phoenix
I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that I have the 2nd Generation model. But yes, when I attempt to put the cassette inside the deck, it does go inside all the way, it just doesn't start playing. I guess I could just keep trying until it works, but I have tried literally more than 50 times . . So yeah . .

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
JaeStylez said:
I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that I have the 2nd Generation model. But yes, when I attempt to put the cassette inside the deck, it does go inside all the way, it just doesn't start playing. I guess I could just keep trying until it works, but I have tried literally more than 50 times . . So yeah . .
Well then it must be the micro switch. Could be dirty just. But like I said these are not easy to work on but if you take back off and look I believe switch is located on left side of deck. There will be a few wires coming off it. If you want take a few close up pics and I can show you where switch is :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.