Unique Sound Burger type Turntable in the Randix HG-40P

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnEdwardFlorida

Requiem Æternam
Interesting unit with a unique slide out Sound Burger like turntable. The Mister Disc by Audio Technica ( Sound Burger) portable record player has identical 45 rpm rubber spindle and cuts to hold tonearm. I WONDER if its possible this boomer has Audio Technica parts from Mister Disc ??? See last photo of a Sound Burger the rubber disc pad is IDENTICAL and the tonearm almost identical. If true guess that would make this a valuable box. The rubber 45 spindle holds the tone arm tightly in place for transporting. Although I gather Randix is on the low end of quality this guy plays relatively loud with decent mids and pretty good highs just lacking bass which I gather is normal for this size boomer. Used it Sunday waxing car, was 15-30 feet away and it had no problem playing plenty loud to be heard well. It is in reasonably good cosmetic condition except for two broke out pieces top right main unit and between FF and REW. Radio and record player work great. The knobs are metal not plastic. The tape deck FF and REW fine but play it is easy to touch cog and have it stop so must have two belts one for Play that is really loose and FF/REW the belt is very good still. It does not play a tape. The cassette controls are not light touch but play is logic controlled interestingly enough on a budget boomer. Pretty amazing to me on a box this small to have a working record player. Although using a inexpensive ceramic cartridge unlike the Sound Burger that had a great quality magnetic cartridge the wiring and tone arm seem exactly same as Sound Burger.

MEASUREMENTS
Length - 22 inches
Depth - 5 inches
Height - 8.5 inches

The battery cover is there but battery area has some corrosion on contacts but works with batteries. AC plug wire is not original but works fine.

Is this a fairly rare boomer having a record player on it for its size ? I found very little on the net about this model. Anyone know what year it was made/sold?

My other Boomer with turntable is the JVC DC7 that am currently doing a speaker upgrade with Mirage 2 way speakers w/crossover. Great solid wood speaker box on the DC7 for excellent chance of much better sonic performance.

RANDIX HG-40P

tshorba

Member (SA)
May 10, 2009
South West Victoria
Interesting box

The "soundburger" you have pictured is not like a soundburger at all apart from basic shape. The AT & Dual soundburgers were built much better than the twin singer (no "brand") the Twin Singer vs Soundburger is like Crosley vs Vestax of the portables today.

JohnEdwardFlorida

Requiem Æternam
tshorba said:
Interesting box

The "soundburger" you have pictured is not like a soundburger at all apart from basic shape. The AT & Dual soundburgers were built much better than the twin singer (no "brand") the Twin Singer vs Soundburger is like Crosley vs Vestax of the portables today.
I stand corrected on the above. Here is photos(net unknown source) of the Orig. AT Soundburger Mister Disc But one must admit the turntable in the Randix must share some of the same technology/parts. Impressive for being on a Randix. Must be one of the smallest boomers to have a turntable in it that plays a full 33 1/3 record.

Status
Not open for further replies.