Dynasty Discolite Riddle Me This (Power Problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bantytfv

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2011
East TN. USA
Box will not power on with the power switch in the on position, but will come on with the switch in the off position and the play button actuated on either of the cassette decks. Neither of the decks are functioning at all though. Radio, line in work fine. Did not see anything out of place or obviously burnt up inside the box.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
I have heard of bad power switch on these. Try spraying power switch with some deoxit or contact cleaner and working it on and off :thumbsup:

Bad Boy Bill

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
bantytfv said:
Box will not power on with the power switch in the on position, but will come on with the switch in the off position and the play button actuated on either of the cassette decks. Neither of the decks are functioning at all though. Radio, line in work fine. Did not see anything out of place or obviously burnt up inside the box.
On mechanical deck even not working when you depress play there is a micro switch that activates sleep mode. When working and a cassette reaches end of tape the autostop kicks off deck therefore disengaging the micro switch for sleep mode ;-)

Bad Boy Bill

bantytfv

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2011
East TN. USA
Odd, I haven't saw a box with the radio and line in work with the power switch in the off position before. Somehow they are getting power through the deck switches. Yes the power is off without the deck on play. Will try to clean the power switch on it when I get the time. I can't tell that anything has been modified from just the initial look inside. Heck, I'm happy that it works - along with the majority of the L.E.D.s working also. Seller couldn't get it to do anything! :-)

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
bantytfv said:
Odd, I haven't saw a box with the radio and line in work with the power switch in the off position before. Somehow they are getting power through the deck switches. Yes the power is off without the deck on play. Will try to clean the power switch on it when I get the time. I can't tell that anything has been modified from just the initial look inside. Heck, I'm happy that it works - along with the majority of the L.E.D.s working also. Seller couldn't get it to do anything! :-)
Most do while in sleep mode if it has separate power and function switch. If you clean power switch and it don't come back to life it's most likely a bad switch then. Sleep mode does same thing as power switch using another switch :-)

Bad Boy Bill

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
This sounds exactly like the problem I had with my GF-777. The microswitch that the power switch uses wasn't making enough contact to allow sufficient voltage to pass through. After a little modification, the microswitch was making 100% contact and the unit powered up. If that is the problem, you might need to slightly bend the "arm" of the microswitch. You can also use sandpaper to sand the copper contacts to expose fresh surfaces.

bantytfv

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2011
East TN. USA
Thanks for the help, are you referring to the contacts in the actual power switch or a microswitch elswhere? I can't find a schematic for it, and the power switch is soldered directly to the board. Boy, the decks are rinky-dink in these boxes. Soundwise I don't think it sounds as bad as others have mentioned on the forum. Is it common for these to lose some L.E.D.s over time?

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
bantytfv said:
Thanks for the help, are you referring to the contacts in the actual power switch or a microswitch elswhere? I can't find a schematic for it, and the power switch is soldered directly to the board. Boy, the decks are rinky-dink in these boxes. Soundwise I don't think it sounds as bad as others have mentioned on the forum. Is it common for these to lose some L.E.D.s over time?
Micro switch is located on deck. Not sure if that's what Bobby means but problem with yours is actual power switch. LEDs may go out or could be broken connection or bad resistor (if applied)

Bad Boy Bill

Jboogie2384

Member (SA)
Sep 30, 2010
Queens, New York
I have a complete Vela 7777 (minus the disco lite, & the tuner and fine tuning knob) that's identical to this radio. complete with the battery compartment door you need in that other thread you started. take the whole radio and you can fix yours with it.

bantytfv

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2011
East TN. USA
Bad contacts in the power switch, that problem is fixed! Funny thing is the radio will still function with the switch off - if play is pressed on the cassette. Now on to the decks- thanks for the help guys. :smooch:

stynger007

Member (SA)
Aug 30, 2009
The Great White North Canada
baddboybill said:
bantytfv said:
On mechanical deck even not working when you depress play there is a micro switch that activates sleep mode. When working and a cassette reaches end of tape the autostop kicks off deck therefore disengaging the micro switch for sleep mode ;-)

Bad Boy Bill
Man been looking for awhile for one of these.. looks great! The microswitch that Bill is talking about is located on the deck itself..it looks like two small copper bars about 3/16 inch wide, about 3/4 inch long. Look at the rear of the deck when you push play..the mechanism will directly engage the switch..

burkmays

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2013
Hi everyone,

I got my hands on a near perfect condition discolite, my issue is that it won't power up at all using batteries. I see mention of a "sleep mode", could that be the cause? How do I correct that? I can't imagine there's an issue with the box otherwise given the near perfect aesthetic condition.

Also, for use using AC power, it is a 220v model. Before I buy a converter there is a sticker on the box that says it can be converted to 110v and to "follow the user manual" to do that. There are no (visible) switches on the box that would allow a voltage switch so I'm not sure how to do that.

Any advice would be appreciated.

burkmays

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2013
Hi - thanks, I'll take a look to see if there is a voltage selector switch there. Also I have to re-look at this "sleep mode" that's described, it appears there's a microswitch in the cassette deck that needs to be checked? I'm in NJ and couldn't get the box to power up (yet). Thanks.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
if you are anywhere up near NYC -
we know a guy who knows a guy --that can fix discolites-

thats always $$ -
so perhaps you can luck out and get it going first :angelic:

burkmays

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2013
I am - if you could pass along his information that would be great, in the event I need it (hopefully not!). Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.