• This topic is locked This topic is locked
119 replies to this topic

#31 Jwrok707

Jwrok707
  • Members
  • 689 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

I dont know about m90 ( and dont care actually, dont like m 90 at all :lol: ) but the red is the color which fade from the sun most of all others,( it is at the very end of the visible spectrum ). My father ( rest in peace) was collecting watches. A lot of diver watches use red on the hour points and it is very common for them to become yellow just after a year of using outside.... It is the same with some cars instruments as well. The wired thing is that the red is fading to perfect yellow without any shades. The spectrum of the sun light and the red color are long known for that. Actually after the redish colors next one which is fading fast is the blue color . So i think if we think about basic physical laws - fading of the m90 is plausible. Dont get me wrong. Im not saying that this is the case with m90 tho.
From other side - if the grayish speakers are faded they must have some issues with the sound too. The material should be slightly thinner already too :hmmm:
And i believe that there will be a lot of not known variants of any boomer popping up around. Some can be faded, modded and so on , but some will be original. Im curious how after 30 years some dj cd player collectors will make some tread about one pair of professionally modded pioneer players of mine. Damn i payed for the mod and cant believe that the color was not factory :lol: . All those color scheme combinations is like not good stamped post marks case for me - maybe not the perfect , but rare, interesting and highly hunted .

My M-90 with gray woofers has a bit more punch than my blue ones at the same level with same song!!

#32 stormsven

stormsven
  • Members
  • 3,273 posts
  • LocationSofia, Bulgaria

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

I dont know about m90 ( and dont care actually, dont like m 90 at all :lol: ) but the red is the color which fade from the sun most of all others,( it is at the very end of the visible spectrum ). My father ( rest in peace) was collecting watches. A lot of diver watches use red on the hour points and it is very common for them to become yellow just after a year of using outside.... It is the same with some cars instruments as well. The wired thing is that the red is fading to perfect yellow without any shades. The spectrum of the sun light and the red color are long known for that. Actually after the redish colors next one which is fading fast is the blue color . So i think if we think about basic physical laws - fading of the m90 is plausible. Dont get me wrong. Im not saying that this is the case with m90 tho.
From other side - if the grayish speakers are faded they must have some issues with the sound too. The material should be slightly thinner already too :hmmm:
And i believe that there will be a lot of not known variants of any boomer popping up around. Some can be faded, modded and so on , but some will be original. Im curious how after 30 years some dj cd player collectors will make some tread about one pair of professionally modded pioneer players of mine. Damn i payed for the mod and cant believe that the color was not factory :lol: . All those color scheme combinations is like not good stamped post marks case for me - maybe not the perfect , but rare, interesting and highly hunted .

My M-90 with gray woofers has a bit more punch than my blue ones at the same level with same song!!

Actually the old speaker cones have slightly better punch from the same brand new one speakers (use to buy same PA speakers few times and that was really clear to hear at the beginning) . That will be a good point for faded speakers. But i dont think that this is the case here. Probably the gray speakers have less layers of coat from the blue speakers and thats the reason.

#33 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,658 posts
  • LocationIn the middle of nowhere!!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

Check your back plate. One may say 61watts and other 70 watts. Like I said there are two different chips used. One was Sanyo other was Panasonic I believe. ;-)

Bad Boy Bill

#34 Jwrok707

Jwrok707
  • Members
  • 689 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

Check your back plate. One may say 61watts and other 70 watts. Like I said there are two different chips used. One was Sanyo other was Panasonic I believe. ;-)

Bad Boy Bill

Will do.................Thx BBB :thumbsup:

#35 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

I opened another thread to post pics of your M90 :thumbsup: This way we can all see differences ;-)

http://boomboxery.co...hp?f=16&t=16809

Bad Boy Bill

#36 -GZ-

-GZ-
  • Members
  • 2,228 posts
  • LocationBoom Central

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

Im just gonna leave my minty m90 with red meters out in the sun for a few days and see if they turn yellow...that will settle this madness once and for all :lol: :lol: :lol:

#37 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

Im just gonna leave my minty m90 with red meters out in the sun for a few days and see if they turn yellow...that will settle this madness once and for all :lol: :lol: :lol:

You go Greg!!!! :lol:

#38 mellymelsr

mellymelsr
  • Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

Whatever, guys :D

Funny how nobody answered about bredgeo's M90 :)

I have only seen two M90s with black speakers. Either repainted or not factory.
My M90's woofers are grey too but I face it and don't betray myself into thinking it is oh-so-mint.
These units age with pride and it's ok if they fade to grey.
This yellow VU is an example of extreme fading.
It's a chemical reaction which I see on roadsigns all the time and those have not been there for 30 years.

I know I am right but it's ok if you disagree.

....WRONG...if what you are saying is correct, then why have we never seen one, not even a single M70 with faded gray woofers? They have blue paper woofers with no protective coating at all. If you knew anything about how a color spectrum works blue does not fade to gray it fades to a lighter blue or else I would have tons of faded gray jeans. Try to listen and learn a little young fella... :-D

#39 mellymelsr

mellymelsr
  • Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

I think I will take take the word and expertise of a collector like Norm over someone who just started collecting... :-D ....Norm is correct. :yes:...it also appears the strip on the radio dial is gray as well. Plus I seriously doubt the fading would be perfectly uniform unless the M90 was outside laying on its back all day... :lol:

Ha. That's what i was thinkin! Damn kids think they know it all :lol:

...that is my point exactly...sometimes children should be seen and not heard...and should definitely try to listen to those with more experience because they might learn a little something.

#40 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,169 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

I suppose it's possible that M90's spend all their time basking in the sun, while M70's are all kept indoors. However, in my very limited experience, it's more plausible and likely to be the other way around.

That being said, I challenge anyone to produce one single M70 example with yellowed meters. No? Oh OK, well maybe they need to spend more time in the sun. How about just partly faded.... like orangish yellow? No?

Look, anyone that has owned a yellow metered M90 can clearly see that the meters do not look like a faded red. It's YELLOW yellow. Clearly original.

As for speakers, once again, the M90 woofers start out with blue paper cones.... just like the M70. That is where the similarity ends. The M90 woofers then are treated by laminating a layer of urethane (plastic) OVER the outside. Remove the speakers and then you will see the plastic coating. You can wipe them down with water and the water rolls right off. Cleaning them is easy because of that. However, the backside is standard paper with NO coating hence the reason they all look the same from the backside. Now, all I can tell you is that I have seen blue ones and I have seen dark gray ones, and I have seen very light blue/gray ones. I have had over a dozen M90's pass through my hands and in my opinion, there are 2 colors used in the lamination.....

(1) clear urethane which allows the blue to show through
(2) dark gray which makes the speakers look almost black when viewed through the grill.

The very light gray ones and the very light blue ones are most likely faded from the original look (as above).

As for the meters.... anyone with yellow meters who can't live with them...
I can sell you a set of RED ones. :w00t:
Open your wallets and PM PM PM!!!!! :-D :lol: :yes: :thumbsup:

#41 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:15 PM

I suppose it's possible that M90's spend all their time basking in the sun, while M70's are all kept indoors. However, in my very limited experience, it's more plausible and likely to be the other way around.

That being said, I challenge anyone to produce one single M70 example with yellowed meters. No? Oh OK, well maybe they need to spend more time in the sun. How about just partly faded.... like orangish yellow? No?

Look, anyone that has owned a yellow metered M90 can clearly see that the meters do not look like a faded red. It's YELLOW yellow. Clearly original.

As for speakers, once again, the M90 woofers start out with blue paper cones.... just like the M70. That is where the similarity ends. The M90 woofers then are treated by laminating a layer of urethane (plastic) OVER the outside. Remove the speakers and then you will see the plastic coating. You can wipe them down with water and the water rolls right off. Cleaning them is easy because of that. However, the backside is standard paper with NO coating hence the reason they all look the same from the backside. Now, all I can tell you is that I have seen blue ones and I have seen dark gray ones, and I have seen very light blue/gray ones. I have had over a dozen M90's pass through my hands and in my opinion, there are 2 colors used in the lamination.....

(1) clear urethane which allows the blue to show through
(2) dark gray which makes the speakers look almost black when viewed through the grill.

The very light gray ones and the very light blue ones are most likely faded from the original look (as above).

As for the meters.... anyone with yellow meters who can't live with them...
I can sell you a set of RED ones. :w00t:
Open your wallets and PM PM PM!!!!! :-D :lol: :yes: :thumbsup:

I agree 100%. Now Norm in your opinion are the yellow meters rarer than the Red? I seem to see more red that's why I ask :-)

Bad Boy Bill

#42 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,099 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

Ask and you shall receive!

I may have owned the ONLY faded VU meter Victor M70!!!!!!

Faded out to an almost invisible appearance. :hmmm: Not yellow.
Posted Image

#43 mellymelsr

mellymelsr
  • Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

Norm makes an excellent point which I just proved correct with my own research. I have 5 M70 variations. All 5 have VU meters with different degrees of fading. One is even faded so bad it can barely be seen...but all of them are different shades of RED. None of them are yellow. Even the one that can barely be seen is kind of tranparent red. Also none are faded evenly or uniform or in a flat pattern. They have a naturally faded look to them. So in closing I will side with the wisdom and intelligence of my friend Norm...Max I have a whole case of Similac for ya...jk... :-D

#44 mellymelsr

mellymelsr
  • Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

Ask and you shall receive!

I may have owned the ONLY faded VU meter Victor M70!!!!!!

Faded out to an almost invisible appearance. :hmmm: Not yellow.
[ Image ]

Joe my Victor M70 is exactly the same...but still red not yellow.

#45 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,099 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

My other Victor M70 is red as it should be.

Posted Image

#46 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

Just checked and mine is red too ;-)

Posted Image

#47 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,169 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

WoW, you guys are really abusing those M70's. :-O :nonono: :lol: :lol: :w00t: :grim:

You need to stop taking them with you to the tanning salons. :-D

Bill... the yellow ones are rarer.

#48 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

WoW, you guys are really abusing those M70's. :-O :nonono: :lol: :lol: :w00t: :grim:

You need to stop taking them with you to the tanning salons. :-D

Bill... the yellow ones are rarer.

:lol: :lol: thanks Norm :smooch:

#49 BMoney

BMoney
  • Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali / Bay Area

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

Lol @ faded VU meters being rarer! :lol:

#50 Lasonic TRC-920

Lasonic TRC-920
  • Moderators
  • 13,259 posts
  • LocationNaples, Italy

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

Here's a shot of the EVH M70, with it's red meters and for good measure, here is an 838 with faded red meters almost orange

Posted Image

Posted Image

#51 mrp32

mrp32
  • Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

mmm never really noticed before, but my M70 has virtually no red marking left you can just make what was there, this is going to annoy me now, thanks :-/

Posted Image

#52 JustCruisin

JustCruisin
  • Members
  • 2,938 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

I thought this topic was going to be about a Yellow case M90...? :dunce: Now that I 'd like to see! :-D

#53 Mrs. Fatdog

Mrs. Fatdog
  • Members
  • 485 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

:popcorn:

#54 mmcodomino

mmcodomino
  • Members
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

You guys are outrageous :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And I am right :blush: ;-)

#55 Zippy

Zippy
  • Members
  • 893 posts
  • LocationHannover, Germany

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

I'm not sure what to make of this whole topic.
Also, I'm not sure if the fading on M70s is a backup for ruling out the M90-fading-theory 'cause they might have used different colors/materials which could make a big difference. I don't think it is as easy as blue always fades like this, red always fades like that.
I'll try to take some pictures of mine asap - one of the speakers is blue, the other not really. I'm not entirely sure about the VUs right now.

#56 monchito

monchito
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,599 posts
  • Locationpythonville florida

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

Posted Image :agree:

#57 b_koenig

b_koenig
  • Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee WI USA

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

Lasonic, Van Halen graphics?

#58 BMoney

BMoney
  • Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali / Bay Area

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

You guys are outrageous :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And I am right :blush: ;-)

:agree: ... but the yellow VUs are still more rarer lol! :lol: :sick:

#59 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,803 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:07 PM

Now what is causing the milky white/gray appearance of the JVC M90 blue cone paper woofer?

Over time if the coating is not good enough, it can degrade and cause it to "blush," or have a cloudy white haze.

Paper is very porous and I am pretty sure they might have used a sealer coating before they used a urethane top coat over it. I believe the polymer degradation over time is the real cause of losing the clarity of the coating that gives the haze. If it is exposed direct sunlight then there are more chances of UV degradation of this coating and it will not be always uniform.

JVC speaker manufacturers might have improved the urethane coating on newer M90s that still stays clear without haze. This is why we have seen many of them with the blue cones. If you check the back side of the cones they all are blue in color, So two different speaker coatings went on these speakers and one version was the better coating.

This is my theory :yes: :yes:

#60 mellymelsr

mellymelsr
  • Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

Now what is causing the milky white/gray appearance of the JVC M90 blue cone paper woofer?

Over time if the coating is not good enough, it can degrade and cause it to "blush," or have a cloudy white haze.

Paper is very porous and I am pretty sure they might have used a sealer coating before they used a urethane top coat over it. I believe the polymer degradation over time is the real cause of losing the clarity of the coating that gives the haze. If it is exposed direct sunlight then there are more chances of UV degradation of this coating and it will not be always uniform.

JVC speaker manufacturers might have improved the urethane coating on newer M90s that still stays clear without haze. This is why we have seen many of them with the blue cones. If you check teh back side of the cones they all are blue in color, So two different speaker coatings went on these speakers and one version was the better coating.

This is my thoery :yes: :yes:

... :lol: :weed: :-D