Status
Not open for further replies.

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
Superduper said:
It's authentic. M90's came with yellow and red meters. However, orange meters are probably faded red.
Ya, right :lol: . That's why the blue speakers are almost faded to white too :lol: .
I have never seen a pic of an M90 in a sales brochure with yellow meters ;-) .
The original Japanese ad for the M90 shows one with blue speakers and red VUs. I am sure that's how they came. :yes:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
my original m90 has red , the other i got from the pawn shop has yellow meters so i know they came with 2 different options or whatever.

my original my has nice dark speakers ,and the one from the pawn shop has gray speakers so there must be 2 options or variants there as well , even though both sets are the same blue color on the back of the cones.

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
JVC Floyd said:
my original m90 has red , the other i got from the pawn shop has yellow meters so i know they came with 2 different options or whatever.

my original my has nice dark speakers ,and the one from the pawn shop has gray speakers so there must be 2 options or variants there as well , even though both sets are the same blue color on the back of the cones.

The red and blue fade because of the sun and humidity. They all came with red meters and blue cones originally. :yes:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
There were 2 versions like Norm said

Red VU with blue woofers
Yellow VU with gray woofers

AZA

Member (SA)
May 9, 2009
Down Under
blu_fuz said:
There were 2 versions like Norm said

Red VU with blue woofers
Yellow VU with gray woofers

:hmmm: mine has red VU with black woofers.
The woofers are much darker than the grey and
im certain not a faded blue???

gsbadbmr

Member (SA)
Apr 2, 2010
Boombox Museum
:hmmm: , i never knew this :-O .

I thought the yellowish/orangey M90 VU meters were like that from FADING :lol: ...because that's what it looks like to me. I only like the RED VU meters on my M90's :thumbsup:

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
yikes :dunce: :dunce:

once i had that version with the grey woofs --thought there were just faded - :hmmm:
so i painted them blue
:thumbsdown: :annoyed: :'-( :dunce: :dunce: :lol:

luckily --nobody reads my posts --so noboidy will ever know :-D

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
Guys...stop all that BS :lol:

ALL M90 woofers are blue from the back which proves that they were originally blue and just faded :thumbsdown: .
The best example is bredgeo's ex-M90 which is now with Zippy. One speaker is faded and one isn't.

Quod erat demonstrandum.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Bull :lol:

There are 2 different versions. Why are there no gray woofs on the M90s with red VUs???? And why no blue woofs on the M90s with yellow VUs????

mellymelsr

Member (SA)
Sep 11, 2009
Northern Cali
I think I will take take the word and expertise of a collector like Norm over someone who just started collecting... :-D ....Norm is correct. :yes:...it also appears the strip on the radio dial is gray as well. Plus I seriously doubt the fading would be perfectly uniform unless the M90 was outside laying on its back all day... :lol:

Superduper

Member (SA)
Meters don't just fade from red to yellow with no shades in between. Also, when have you ever seem any meter all faded as commonly as you find them on M90's. Also, sure, it's possible for blue woofers to fade from blue to lighter shade of blue. But how do blue woofers fade to dark gray or black? Excuse me.... FADE.... Hellooooo?

You need to understand the M90 speaker construction which is different than other speakers. Sure all M90 speakers are blue from the backside. But JVC's own advertising states that the M90 uses new Urethane laminated cones. But only the front of the speaker cones were laminated. The backside remains paper just like on the M70. That means the front of the speaker cones have a layer of urethane attached in some way. Was this color clear or gray or black? Maybe all of the above were used. In fact I think that dark gray is far more common than blue on the M90.

Status
Not open for further replies.