Photo

My humble Hitachi 9140E is finally delivering the goods!!

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,089 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:28 PM

No bass at all? Hmmmm......... something isn't right for sure. The only 'issue' with these Hitachis is overly heavy bass and slightly subdued highs so you seem to have the opposite issue!?

#32 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,552 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:39 PM

Yeah it's mostly mids.  Nothing deep at all.  Trying to get any bass out of it requires cranking it up to where the mids become annoyingly loud.

The tweeters are OK, nothing special, but OK.

It's an AKA called the Sound 3030.  Here's mine:

http://wikiboombox.com/Sound%203030

#33 caution

caution
  • Members
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:43 AM

Yeah it's two chips, TA7222P (see pics 9 and 10 here)

#34 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,126 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:15 AM

Well probably the easiest way to see if it's a amp or speaker issue is to connect different speakers and also try those on another box, but that might be harder if this is one of those wireless speakers that connect when meshed with head unit. Also, might it be related to preamp circuit? Maybe increasing the value of the coupling caps in the audio signal path might allow it to pass more bass. Does yours look like new? On some audio equipment, worn caps do tend to mellow out and cause more muddy bass.

#35 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,552 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:54 PM

Yes the speakers are wireless, but they also have a cable in a hidden compartment.

Anyway, I connected them to another boombox and confirmed that these speakers still sound like junk. They go loud, but there's just not much bass. Maybe these Taiwanese woofers aren't as sensitive as the Japanese ones?  Also, their surrounds are way too stiff.  Whatever, it gives me an excuse to upgrade them.  Time to search Ebay for some nice white or silver ones!