• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Old skewl

Old skewl
  • Members
  • 73 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

I have a CA-70 that I thought needed belts. There did not appear to be voltage getting to the tape motor. In my limited electronic knowledge I must have shorted something trying to diagnose the problem. Now the box does not power at all, the box was my grandfather's and for sentimental reasons I would like to get it working again. Let me know if you may have interest or know someone knowledgable in these vintage Aiwas. Thanks!

#2 redbenjoe

redbenjoe

I Am Legend

• Eternal Order of Boom
  • 17,944 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

well worth fixing --beautiful sound ...............
hope you get some local or member help :angelic:

#3 Jboogie2384

Jboogie2384
  • Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • LocationQueens, New York

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

I'd help but I'm still trying to fix somebodies TC-999 for the last few months. Belts are easy. I have a great radio guy in NY. I'd help but let me finish this guys radio. F'n water damage up the wazoo!! :thumbsdown:

#4 Old skewl

Old skewl
  • Members
  • 73 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:33 AM

well worth fixing --beautiful sound ...............
hope you get some local or member help :angelic:

Yeah thanks! I had the same box as a teen. I was always impressed by its sound. Plus it is in super condition. My grandfather was OCD before anyone knew what it was. LOL! :thumbsup:

#5 Old skewl

Old skewl
  • Members
  • 73 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:43 AM

I'd help but I'm still trying to fix somebodies TC-999 for the last few months. Belts are easy. I have a great radio guy in NY. I'd help but let me finish this guys radio. F'n water damage up the wazoo!! :thumbsdown:

Thanks! Ill keep you in mind if I don't find someone soon. Would you mind PMing me your radio guys info as a back up? My box is pretty clean. Hopefully I didn't damage any major components during my diagnosis. :sad: good luck with that TC-999! :thumbsup:

#6 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

When you say it won't power up, could it be simply a forgotten wire reattachement? Or maybe a crossed wire? Did something smell burnt out?

It's hopefully something simple.

Good luck,

James... :-)

#7 Old skewl

Old skewl
  • Members
  • 73 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:32 AM

The only wire I could find that was disconnected was the tape motor. I resoldered it.

I am guessing when I was testing for voltages I shorted a fuse or resistor. I am done working on it myself. I don't want to do anymore damage. I would like to find someone with some experience to work on it. Otherwise I will put it up for sale. Floyd refoamed the speakers for me over the winter too.

#8 PostEnder

PostEnder
  • Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern U.S.A.

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

Hello, there, people. Now, for all I know, the Aiwa CA-70 that was discussed in this late August/early September 2012 topic is the same one that I have in mind. (Though now being sold from another country.)

Anyway, the seller of the CA-70 I have in mind states in part: "It's not working. It doesn't power on at all." The rest of that big, generally good-looking, single-deck stereo is in fair to good condition. I sort of feel that the price that the seller is asking for it is a bit steep. But, as my message to him(?) immediately amended: that's just my self-consciousness from knowing that someone else with decidedly deeper (and non-conflicted) pockets can come along and scoop it up (don't throw your back out) and fix it up him- or herself (or get a non-disaffected professional to do the repairing).

Anyway, James (aka jimmyjimmy19702010) suggested about the CA-70 discussed here:

"When you say it won't power up, could it be simply a forgotten wire reattachement [sic]? Or maybe a crossed wire?"

Is that all the problem is with the unit that I have recently discovered? (The unit that, again, I wonder might be the one discussed here half a decade earlier ...)

#9 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,621 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:15 AM

That's not a good radio to buy. Not only are the speakers foam surround that will need replacement if it hasn't been done already, there is also a passive radiator under the tape deck that will need re-foaming as well.

#10 Rimmer36

Rimmer36
  • Members
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:02 AM

Re foaming is easy....get it if you can...one of my best radios, forget about the passive radiator underneath it's not needed, it's just a gimmick

#11 Cpl-Chronic

Cpl-Chronic
  • Members
  • 1,890 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:08 AM

Holy Crap!  check the fuse man...if you haven't found it yet, it could be blown...tinbkering around in there if it was still plugged in...jeesh!

Only a guess but start there..