JVC PC-11JW no FFWD or REW but plays fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

bantytfv

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2011
East TN. USA
Is there a common problem with these decks that prevents them from fast forwarding or rewinding? It plays fine. Any help appreciated. :huh:

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Could be stretched belts or dry drive tire ( if applicable). Possibly a broken gear as well. Not sure of drive system in this one so you will need to check it...

bantytfv

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2011
East TN. USA
Thanks, the belt looked and felt ok, couldn't see the tire, when I first watched it operate the motor would come up to fast speed but not engage for FFWD or RE, now it only stays on play speed. it has lot of plastic gears and control levers. when I got it, it would not play - only a loud clicking from it trying to engage. I wiggled some of the engagement arms and got it to play though. I may have to be happy with that. It's a shame the deck wasn't built heavier because the rest of the box sure is. :-/ :-)

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
You might have to look at front of deck while out. There has to be be a gear or tire that will spin reels to FF or Rew If possible. Could also need a thorough cleaning because of dirt and old thickened grease causing low resistance to moving parts.

bantytfv

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2011
East TN. USA
I didn't do a full disassemble, just a quick look at the belts and a quickie clean and lube of what I could get to - yes it looks to be a little tricky to take apart, but not as bad as some. I was just wondering if they had any specific problem like the SCR- 8 does with the spring loaded plastic engagement piece breaking (which is a shame also, I repaired the plastic piece on mine but it still gives problems - all new belts, cleaned, lubed, good tire, good microswitches etc. on it). At least the JVC will play. Thanks for the tips.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
bantytfv said:
Appears to be a gear problem. :'-( At least it will still play tapes.

what does the broken gear look like ?

i have a junker pc 550 deck but can't promise it has what you need but it's worth checking.

bantytfv

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2011
East TN. USA
It isn't broken, it appears to have wear in it's mounting hole along with a missing piece of plastic that held it on the mounting shaft - it is a wobble on the shaft problem. I would have to post a pic of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.