Sony CFS-77L auto stop problem with deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Hi, ideally looking for someone with indepth knowledge of this deck.
The problem is that on pressing any of the buttons the auto stop (click click click) is taking place so none of the functions work for more than a moment.
If I hold any button in it works mechanically and electronically but the auto stop is kicking in hence the continuous clicking.
I have a tiny piece of white plastic which was loose in the deck but can't find where it comes from.
Anyone know the deck well enough to know the auto stop feature, the solenoid beneath the flywheel and the locking plate ? or can offer advice specific to this deck please ?

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Solenoid ceasing fixed and the deck no longer auto stops continuously :thumbsup:

New problem, audio on deck is not working properly. I put a tape on and it started to play fine, was trying to adjust the resistor for the motor speed and tried a different tape then audio stopped. Fiddled a bit and got a bit of audio on and off. I've moved the record bar quite a bit although not sprayed it yet. I notice that the REC/MUTE button is a bit flakey but don't think that is related.This is a weird one as its totally intermittent and can't figure out what it causing it. Same through headphones.

mrp32

Member (SA)
Mar 23, 2010
Glad you got the auto stop sorted :-)
:hmmm: Just a thought how about the audio on switch and or the rwd/fwd muting on the deck?

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
dave did you find out where that white piece was supposed to go ?
because the deck on my fh 7 is doing the same thing, just wont stay in play and keeps auto reversing :annoyed:

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Floyd, for me the solenoid under the flywheel was not moving freely as it should (kind of side to side movement). After spraying it and moving it free and putting it back together the auto stop stopped. That solenoid deals with the auto stop and because it was unable to move it was stuck in auto stop continuously. The little white bit is still a mystery, nothing in the deck looks like it is missing this piece so I think it is from somewhere else.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
docs said:
Floyd, for me the solenoid under the flywheel was not moving freely as it should (kind of side to side movement). After spraying it and moving it free and putting it back together the auto stop stopped. That solenoid deals with the auto stop and because it was unable to move it was stuck in auto stop continuously. The little white bit is still a mystery, nothing in the deck looks like it is missing this piece so I think it is from somewhere else.

thanks dave i will try that , these damn fh7 decks are a mofo to work on :annoyed:

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Yeh, there are so many microswitches and springs and to get so close with this one is frustrating.
I'm probably missing something pretty simple but the service manual I have is not hte best to look at.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
docs said:
Yeh, there are so many microswitches and springs and to get so close with this one is frustrating.
I'm probably missing something pretty simple but the service manual I have is not hte best to look at.

:agree: and i have service manuals for most of my boxes but all they really do is show and exploded view and circuit layouts, really don't tell you much in diagnosis of any problems.

Line Out

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2012
Finland
Hi, I have a problem with the auto stop. It doesn't work. The plunger/solenoid seems like its solid and there is no movement at all. As I understand, it should move side to side in plane with the white engaging part and move it so it contacts the "hook" on the capstan axle?

IMG_20180415_092512_crop.jpg

I don't know if someone has been fiddling with the mech before. The long belt seems like it's too tight and it affects the play speed/wow.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Dave, Post a pic of that white part you found. This could be a link to a continuously moving part that will not stop the deck when the take up reel axle is in motion. It is all part of an interconnecting network of levers.

Line Out

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2012
Finland
I fried the solenoid, tried it with a 7,4V li-po battery, as I thought it would run on 12 ish volts. It went up in smoke in a split second. Also I broke it a bit when trying to wiggle the metal bar loose. :-/ Though it showed 1,4 ohms before the frying part.

It seems there is a hall-sensor integrated in to the tape counter that sniffs around for the movement of the tape and once it stops, it should send power to the solenoid. I didn't see any voltage on the solenoid leads. :hmmm:

This thing seems so over-engineered.

Status
Not open for further replies.