** Left channel issue with Hitachi TRK-8080W

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Hi Guys,

Well this little TRK-8080W has been giving me some issues. Most have been corrected except the following issue:

* The tape deck plays fine on both channels, the radio works fine on both channels on all bands also.

The issue is, if I try to record radio or line in, the left channel sounds distorted through the speaker and also on the playback with a lower level on the left VU level. The left channel also sounds distorted when using line in whilst not recording.

I have cleaned every pot and slide style switch within the unit multiple times. The record bars have also been cleaned and slid back and forth many times but it seems to not make a lick of difference.

So in summary, both tape record mode and Line In modes are affected.

Any ideas?

James.... :-)

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
baddboybill said:
Have you tried a different cassette :huh:
Yes, I've tried 2 new TDK D90s with the same exact result. The thing is, the left channel sounds distorted through the speaker whilst recording. On Line In, the left channel sounds distorted without using the tape deck at all. So I'm thinking something else must be at fault.

James.... :huh:

Superduper

Member (SA)
I fixed this model some 4 or 5 years ago with a dead channel. It was a difficult fix and required tracing with service manual. The issue was the dual sided board Printed Wiring Board. One side is copper, which is fine. The other side had painted conductive traces with printed resistors. The painted traces had deteriorated and one printed resistor failed. The solution was to bypass the broken traces and replace the printed resistor with a discrete one.

If yours is having this same issue, then I can tell you that this is not an easy fix, requires lots of patience and tracing time, and will require good circuit repair skills. In most cases, this fix will be beyond the abilities of the average Joe, will require a service manual, and if repaired by a service center, will likely be considered not-economical to repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.