7980 wont play on batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
i used to bump my 7980 with batteries all the time in new orleans...
finally threw some in there again the other day and it wouldnt power up.
checked the fuses and they looked fine....
powers up with the cord..
any ideas?????

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
JustCruisin said:
Good batteries??
Corrosion on terminals??
Batteries installed correctly?? :hmmm:

check the tab where the cord inserts sometimes these bind up and don't switch the power over to dc.

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
JVC Floyd said:
JustCruisin said:
Good batteries??
Corrosion on terminals??
Batteries installed correctly?? :hmmm:

check the tab where the cord inserts sometimes these bind up and don't switch the power over to dc.
:hmmm: when i flicked that tab...the sensor light would come on for less than a split second when sensor pressed...but not the power light when power pressed. hate opening this thing up . is the interior tab connection visible and accessible to where i can do something to "un-bind" it or is just pushing it on the outside the only way to un-bind it?

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
oh my problem child 7980....
so heres the deal...pardon my lack of electrical lingo knowledge...
i thought it was a bad connection where the wire from the power button clips into the circuit board by the transformer because when i pushed down on the clip...it would turn on...so i switched out the connection...wasnt the solution.
turns out.... it actually turns on only when i push down on the actual non fastened edge of the circuit board...leading me to believe theres a problem possibly where the AC tab meets something on the circuit board....but then again..i dont know ****.
any ideas?!?! id really appreciate it

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
pardon my amateurism again...
so i removed the circuit board with the transformer and battery connection....and it seems like when i put pressure on the AC plug unit that has the DC tab on it...it powers on....so im assuming theres some bad connection in that plug unit with that dc tab beacause it works fine with a cord. so floyd and skippy were right about what the problem is. question is...what do i do to fix it? appreciate the help

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
-GZ- said:
so i removed the circuit board with the transformer and battery connection....and it seems like when i put pressure on the AC plug unit that has the DC tab on it...it powers on....so im assuming theres some bad connection in that plug unit with that dc tab beacause it works fine with a cord. so floyd and skippy were right about what the problem is. question is...what do i do to fix it? appreciate the help

sometimes the spring action of these tabs wears out and you just have to kinda mess with it to see if it can still make contact or try put put a small counter spring in it so it will go the other way when the cord is out.

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
JVC Floyd said:
-GZ- said:

sometimes the spring action of these tabs wears out and you just have to kinda mess with it to see if it can still make contact or try put put a small counter spring in it so it will go the other way when the cord is out.
:hmmm: the spring seems to work fine. the tab is up like its supposed to be when there is no cord in it. the unit only gets power from the batteries when i wiggle or put prssure down on the whole ac plug unit.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
-GZ- said:
JVC Floyd said:
-GZ- said:

:hmmm: the spring seems to work fine. the tab is up like its supposed to be when there is no cord in it. the unit only gets power from the batteries when i wiggle or put prssure down on the whole ac plug unit.

you might have bad or cold solder joints in the board at the socket , i would check the solder joints at the base of the socket and all solder joints on the board.

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
that makes sense...unfortunately that goes a little beyond my limited abilities....thanks for your insight, floyd :thumbsup:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
-GZ- said:
that makes sense...unfortunately that goes a little beyond my limited abilities....thanks for your insight, floyd :thumbsup:

no problem , i think over time and use the socket simply becomes loose and has intermittent contact at the base of the socket , all you really have to do is re heat the joints until the solder melts and that should do it , i like to use flux because it makes the solder seep into every pore.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
You can also try a little contact cleaner. Maybe the contacts are a bit corroded. Spray some in and work the switch. That may help ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
Floyd...So reheat the solder on the bottom of the circuit board?
Bill...I will try the contact cleaner too.... :thumbsup:

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
JVC Floyd said:
-GZ- said:
Floyd...So reheat the solder on the bottom of the circuit board?

yes preferably right where the legs from the socket poke through the board.
Pretty sure my buddy has a soldering gun...i'll take it over there when I can and give it a shot
Appreciate your help, brother!

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
Also,be sure the battery contacts and springs are minty clean.
They can look good,but have a light coating of corrosion on them.
Just enough to keep it from working on batteries.
I've had this happen lots of times myself......

Status
Not open for further replies.