JVC RV NB1 no controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kavinsky1983

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2009
Germany
Hi,

hope nobody shots me, cause i´m asking for help for a JVC RV NB1 also called KaBoom.

The control panel on the front is nearly without function, i just can switch it on or off, changing between cd-radio-tape-aux is impossible, skipping track or play also. Simply not usable. :sad:

Only "on" and "off" and the two volume knobs are working. What´s the problem ? cause display and status LEDs are working.

May the board have a break or scratch ? :'-( or just a loosely connector on it.

PS: Infrared LED for remote is working.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Hey Kavinsky, do you have the remote for it? If so, can you control the Kaboom with the remote? :huh:

Superduper

Member (SA)
Sorry to hear about the problem Kavinsky. My RV-NB1 just arrived today and it is working good. I did take a look at the parts list for this model through partstore.com and the parts for this model is quite pricey. There are a ton of IC's in this model and I did not look inside but I am virtually certain that these are going to employ surface mount IC's and components, the servicing of which is beyond most folks in the hobby arena since normal soldering techniques won't work on SMD's. The specialized equipment makes these almost like throwaways. Also, the circuitry will require more than just analog experience since the circuitry is going to also involve digital circuits.

I hope for your sake that it's just a loose front panel interface ribbon cable but if I had to take a blind stab at what is wrong, I would have to guess that the interface driver IC probably is toast.

Kavinsky1983

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2009
Germany
I´m going to open it this weekend, i wonder where this damage has its beginning, hope also that this flat thin cable is out of fixture, but it never had fallen down or got a kick or something like that.

Will see, yes i could use a remote, i need to find on, cause the one I used for testing was borrowed.

Will refer bout my results

Thanks so far!

Kavinsky1983

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2009
Germany
I opened it today and found nothing, used Tuner600 Spray on all contacts/ wires and put the parts together.

Everything is working now! really curious, i´m so happy, nothing is damaged, great sound :D

Thanks for help and diagnostic!

Superduper

Member (SA)
I don't think the tuner cleaner is what fixed the problem. Sound much more like you have a loose connection and simply opening/closing the boombox fixed the connection. Unless you know which connection was loose, it might happen again, especially if the subwoofer is booming due to vibrations.

However I'm happy to see your boombox is working again.

Status
Not open for further replies.