• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 Beosystem10

Beosystem10
  • Members
  • 1,807 posts
  • LocationUK. 55.7710° N

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

But you know what dental floss is, right?  The string you push between your teeth?  What do you call it over there?  Granted, England isn't known for their dental care :-P but surely you must have a word for it.  This machine does the same job, but better.

I'm no more English than the Pope or JFK. The current avatar should be the clue there.. ;-) I do stay slightly to the English side of the border (but about 50 miles North of Hadrian's Wall) much of the time but that's only because it's handier for road links to more of the campuses I work in than my place on the Scottish side, which is simply a but 'n' ben that allows me to maintain voting rights in the nation of my birth. As for dental floss, I have now looked that up :sick: , I'll stick with the brush for the time being. :-D

#32 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

England, Scotland, same thing to us lazy Americans. :-P   Only some silly rivalries and legends separate you. :lol:  Who was that dude that pulled a sword out of a rock, anyway?   :lol:  j/k

#33 Beosystem10

Beosystem10
  • Members
  • 1,807 posts
  • LocationUK. 55.7710° N

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:33 PM

:lol: Yeah, Scots folk view the States and Canada in much the same way :-P . As for Wales, feel free to laugh at its expense - their parliament is even less competent than Pàrlamaid na h-Alba and that English shower of t**ts combined. Here a thought: We'll swap you something called Nigel Farage for a crate of these flossers on a sale-or-return basis, 250V compatible please, and make sure you pack them well.

#34 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:57 PM

And then there's Dr David Kelly....

#35 tablaboom

tablaboom
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationLondres

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

England, Scotland, same thing to us lazy Americans. :-P   Only some silly rivalries and legends separate you. :lol:  Who was that dude that pulled a sword out of a rock, anyway?   :lol:  j/k

Considering the fact that most American's don't even own a passport, as a proud Glaswegian even I would be willing to let that one slide......

;-)

#36 Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller
  • Members
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg, Russia

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:16 AM

Excellent, comprehensive write up - thank you, Norm!  :-) 

Just to add: the proxy company I use in Japan - they have recently started to use small Styrofoam

corners attached to a boombox itself over the small bubble wrap and covered with the large bubble one,

just to add protection, regardless of the bbx size/weight.

#37 SLO

SLO
  • Members
  • 2,227 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, Southern California

Posted 28 April 2015 - 06:32 PM

Last night I received my Lasonic TRC-920. It was a Buy It Now, and the only issues BEFORE shipping were:

1. Missing the handle
2. Missing battery cover.
3. Missing the chrome knob for the Normal/Cro2 function.

The cassette deck, line in, and radio all work great, the chrome is in good shape as well.

But thanks to a flimsy box, one layer of thin bubble wrap, a few foam peanuts and random pieces of styrofoam, it got a little beaten up. OUCH.

The seller worked with me and refunded some of the purchase price, so I will pick up the pieces and put Humpty Dumpty back together again :-) So here's my $119 Lasonic TRC-920, a little injured, but ALIVE and KICKIN!

#38 mancardo

mancardo
  • Members
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationAZ U.S.

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:47 PM

Last night I received my Lasonic TRC-920. It was a Buy It Now, and the only issues BEFORE shipping were:

1. Missing the handle

The cassette deck, line in, and radio all work great, the chrome is in good shape as well.

But thanks to a flimsy box, one layer of thin bubble wrap, a few foam peanuts and random pieces of styrofoam, it got a little beaten up. OUCH.
attachicon.gif2015-04-28 17.18.11.jpg

The seller worked with me and refunded some of the purchase price, so I will pick up the pieces and put Humpty Dumpty back together again :-) So here's my $119 Lasonic TRC-920, a little injured, but ALIVE and KICKIN!
attachicon.gif 2015-04-28 17.17.31.jp

That sucks man...I know the feeling. I experience the same When I bought one of my Kabooms... when I picked up the box from fedex I could feel the kaboom moving all over the place inside the box...So I took a picture before opening the box.... I just knew something was wrong...and as soon as opened it....there it was...a broken duct from the boombox :annoyed:.

It was a dumb pawn shop that sold it to me. when I contacted the seller he said it was one of his new employees that boxed it up. :nonono:

#39 mancardo

mancardo
  • Members
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationAZ U.S.

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:49 PM

1. Missing the handle

attachicon.gif2015-04-28 17.18.11.jpg

attachicon.gif2015-04-28 17.17.31.jpg

It looks nice SLO!

#40 hardmen

hardmen
  • Members
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationItapevi - São Paulo - Brasil

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:22 PM

My package for Zippy (5350 trade).

6mm cardboard HP Desktop, high density Styrofoam and grey foam for both sides (front and rear) and single bubble wrap for the radio.

Arrives safetly.

Cheers.

#41 SLO

SLO
  • Members
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:50 PM

My package for Zippy (5350 trade).
attachicon.gifCAM00391.jpg
attachicon.gifCAM00392.jpg
attachicon.gifCAM00394.jpg
attachicon.gifCAM00401.jpg
attachicon.gifCAM00402.jpg
attachicon.gifCAM00405.jpg
6mm cardboard HP Desktop, high density Styrofoam and grey foam for both sides (front and rear) and single bubble wrap for the radio.
Arrives safetly.
Cheers.

Great job man, I wish all sellers took the time that we do, to pack these blasters right ;-)

#42 hardmen

hardmen
  • Members
  • 1,503 posts
  • LocationItapevi - São Paulo - Brasil

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:55 PM

Great job man, I wish all sellers took the time that we do, to pack these blasters right ;-)

It's simple: I make a package exactly the right way that I wish to receive a package.

Cheers.

#43 SLO

SLO
  • Members
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:58 PM

It's simple: I make a package exactly the right way that I wish to receive a package.
Cheers.

Yep me too :-) I don't even care if I over do it, Lol, as long as it arrives, ALIVE

#44 duckman

duckman
  • Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationDead Center, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:49 AM

Yep me too :-) I don't even care if I over do it, Lol, as long as it arrives, ALIVE

Ditto.  I pack things to make it, then add another layer/crush zone in a bigger box. :yes: Too many years in and around the industry to chance it! Conveyor belts and such cannot read FRAGILEE !

Cube volume has to come into play at a point, but not at the sacrifice of a piece of history. Ya can't just run down to Wally Mart and get another, Anyone not willing to pay and extra few bucks to ensure safe arrival, well . . . .

I always give the buyer finished dimensions and weight before billing so they can check the websites for rates. Ebay allows for S/H charges, but too many out there whine if it is $1 above what they can find online.

I have charged handling in some cases but that is predicated on how much I am making on each item and/or material costs. Generally I eat it.

#45 JustCruisin

JustCruisin
  • Members
  • 2,938 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:10 AM

Watching Ace Ventura on VHS tonight and reminded of this scene.. :lol: :sad:

#46 SLO

SLO
  • Members
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:19 AM

:lol: Thats horrible!  :lol:  But sometimes you gotta laugh to keep from cryin  :sad:

#47 Lasonic TRC-920

Lasonic TRC-920
  • Moderators
  • 13,257 posts
  • LocationNaples, Italy

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:19 AM

And your $1,000 eBay purchased Holy Grail, packed by a 90 year old grandmother of 8, with no prior Blaster shipping experience HAS ARRIVED! 

THANKS HDS!

#48 stragulus

stragulus
  • Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:26 PM

I package my boxes assuming the Friendly Folks at Fedex Football Frequently & Fervently with their Freight. F*ckers..

#49 JC Slater

JC Slater
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:26 PM

fantastic... if only 

#50 wakehappy

wakehappy
  • Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSan Jose CA

Posted 27 November 2016 - 06:46 PM

Great post, wish all sellers would read this before dropping a 35 year old relic off at the post office. The last box I ordered off eBay, a Clairtone 7980, was completely destroyed when it arrived. Thankfully it was a parts box, but that still doesn't make it right.  The seller refunded me some money, but I still didn't end up with the parts I needed to get my C100F in minty condition.  I even sent him a nice message detailing how large boxes often break through the package, and to make sure he used lots of large bubble-wrap or foam.  This is what I got...  he actually didn't even put it in a box!  He wrapped it in bubble wrap, covered it with butcher paper, and taped it all together with the handle - yes the HANDLE - sticking out of the package.  SERIOUSLY! :bang:

Attached Files

#51 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,168 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:29 PM

I once received a boombox like this.  It was so large that the carrier dragged it out of the back of the truck since you couldn't wrap your hands around it.  Of course the boombox was sitting on the bottom of the tub and there was some bubble wrap around the top and sides but that doesn't help the bottom.  Also, the tub is like contact paper thin, so it was squishy.   And one corner was crushed.  Boombox didn't do too good but I forget what it was anymore.  In any event, another example of how not to ship a boombox, even if it looks like a good idea at first.

Attached File  shipping_tub.jpg   84.01K   2 downloads

#52 stragulus

stragulus
  • Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:05 PM

Bump! So I received this little boomer in the most ridiculous packaging ever. The seller had the box sent back due to shipping damage, I bought it after that. He must have thought...this is not going to happen to me again! Also, f*ck the buyer for having the nerve telling me how I should ship this thing!

After 10 minutes of cutting with an x-acto knife:

Attached File  20180112_210628.jpg   76.85K   1 downloads

Nearly half an hour in. WTF.

Attached File  20180112_211704.jpg   74.46K   0 downloads

OMG some of the self-inflating foam didn't even set, there was so much of it in there!

Attached File  20180112_213010_001.jpg   90.3K   0 downloads

Still doesn't budge. We have to go deeper!

Attached File  20180112_212926.jpg   75.39K   0 downloads

Freddy Kruger ain't got nothing on me cutting shiat up

Attached File  20180112_213430.jpg   75.9K   0 downloads

Finally, there she is. Total time from start.. an hour?? 

Attached File  20180112_220213.jpg   96.8K   0 downloads