Magnavox D8443 help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancardo

Member (SA)
Jun 8, 2012
Goodyear, AZ U.S.
Hello everyone!
I got my Magnavox D8443 a few weeks ago and I've been listening to my favorite radio staions all this time. Today I wanted to hear one of my tapes and when I pressed the play button nothing happens :huh: ... I don't hear anything... not even the motor trying to run. I just found out that in order to listen to my IPOD with my Magnovox I need to press the PLAY and REC buttons together. Does anybody have any tips on what I can look for to try to solve this issue? If the motor went out :sad: how hard is it to get a replacement ?
Thanks in Advance!!

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Welcome... One big problem with this model is a gear inside deck that becomes brittle over years and breaks. Now since you don't hear motor it could also be a bad micro switch that activates motor when you push play, FF, Rew. Only way to check things is to open unit. One other problem is that this box is pretty difficult for an amateur to work on. I personally would recommend you have a tech look it over or buy a cheap bbx that's easier to work on to learn some basics :yes: Good luck :thumbsup:

mancardo

Member (SA)
Jun 8, 2012
Goodyear, AZ U.S.
Baddboy... I opened the box... Now where can find the Micro Switch to see if that's the issue? Underneath the motor there is a whole and it looks like its burned. Is it possible to get a replacement motor?

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Yes it is possible to get a new motor. You can test motor for current using a meter. If there is current then motor is most likely suspect. After you test you should know if motor is 9 or 12 volts. It might be printed on motor. You also need to know if it's CW or CCW. Most likely it's CW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Line Out

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2012
Finland
I just received a Philips D8444 today, really good condition, will post some pictures later. I'm taking it apart and cleaning it thoroughly. Feels VERY easy to dismantle and service, compared to my Siemens!

To the topic, how do I remove the tuning knob? Just use force or is there something else to it?

Another problem is the line in, works odd. I got quite loud, high (bass lacking) sound when I pressed play and/or record and got sound going to line in and radio playing. Then I switched it to tape and with record pressed - no sound, just play pressed - very very quiet sound that was a bit odd as well.

I'm gonna try and read trough the "Phono inputs, Line inputs, etc." -thread and check back after. If you have something, thank you in advance.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Line Out said:
I just received a Philips D8444 today, really good condition, will post some pictures later. I'm taking it apart and cleaning it thoroughly. Feels VERY easy to dismantle and service, compared to my Siemens!

To the topic, how do I remove the tuning knob? Just use force or is there something else to it?

Another problem is the line in, works odd. I got quite loud, high (bass lacking) sound when I pressed play and/or record and got sound going to line in and radio playing. Then I switched it to tape and with record pressed - no sound, just play pressed - very very quiet sound that was a bit odd as well.

I'm gonna try and read trough the "Phono inputs, Line inputs, etc." -thread and check back after. If you have something, thank you in advance.
Line in s-cks on these. Mainly for recording. Pull tuning knob off carefully using a bit of force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Line Out

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2012
Finland
Indeed, :sadno: line-in... Should try to revamp it somehow.

It also sounds like the right channel has less treble.

Is there any instructions to fine tune the tuner? There seems to be some fault because fm stereo led wont lit and It sounds like its only mono. Reception is kinda weak too. Been playing a little with all the small "knobs" on the tuner board...

Here is a picture of the tuner board, near the antenna connector. Is this some fix or maybe even original handiwork? I thought this could be the culprit of no stereo sound.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Line Out said:
Indeed, :sadno: line-in... Should try to revamp it somehow.

It also sounds like the right channel has less treble.

Is there any instructions to fine tune the tuner? There seems to be some fault because fm stereo led wont lit and It sounds like its only mono. Reception is kinda weak too. Been playing a little with all the small "knobs" on the tuner board...

Here is a picture of the tuner board, near the antenna connector. Is this some fix or maybe even original handiwork? I thought this could be the culprit of no stereo sound.
[ Image ]
There is an adjustable resistor for the stereo Frequency near tuner. If you take pics of component side I can probably point it out. There is a certain way of adjusting it though.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
I can't see whole number code for it but 208 should be adjustable pot. You can only adjust it while unit is powered and antenna attached and fully extended. Mark with a marker where the adjustment is right now. Then tune into a central strong station. With small screwdriver turn pot all the way to left then slowly turn back and watch led. Stop when it lights and mark spot. Next turn pot all the way right. Do the same going slowly to left and mark spot when led comes on. Then set to center of those 2 point and it should work. Good luck!!!

Line Out

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2012
Finland
Led will not lit and the reception is poor... Maybe there is a bigger fault. As seen on the other picture, the board lines have been cut and there is some jumper wires and two resistors soldered to back side of the board. Seems like the chip behind the stereo pot (AN7410N) has been changed afterwards, solder points look like resoldered. Can anyone check their box if the chip is different? It would explain the oddities of the tuner if the part is different and there was modifications needed for it to work.

[Edit] Found this datasheet for the AN7410N, an FM Stereo Multiplex Demodulator.
[Edit II] In this picture the chip looks like its the same, at least it has the same logo. I tried to flip the picture and zoom in, model looks like same too.

Status
Not open for further replies.