Realistic SCR-8 Radio only in right channel / antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

chump1039

Member (SA)
May 17, 2012
Dearborn Heights
So I snagged a SCR-8 today on craigslist, and I spent some time cleaning it up and taking note of what needs some work.
I really wanted a box to bump an ipod shuffle on vacation, the beach, camping, etc, and i hooked that up to test, and it works fine in stereo. both VU meters light up.
When I flip to radio (fm & am) the left channel works fully, and the right channel, only the tweeter works. The VU meter also only works for the right channel. If I enable "wide" some sound starts coming out of the left woofer as well as the tweeter, but its still quieter than the right side. I'm kinda puzzled with this, and any ideas/points in the right direction are appreciated.

The tape deck is non functional, but i flipped to that mode, hit play, and tapped on the head and the VU meter lit up on both sides, and sound seemed to come out of both channels. So the one channel not functioning thing, seems to only be radio related.

The second thing: the antenna was loose when I got it, and upon opening it up I found some pieces of broken plastic from the screwpost where the antenna and metal bracket attach. There were only two pieces, the rest is gone, it's about 3/5ths of the complete broken screwpost. What's my best option for trying to restore this? I was going off this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10691 which describes two methods, one for a completely missing post, and one for a broken one. Would it be worth it to try and use the pieces I have and just rebuild the other half? Or just rebuild the whole thing?

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Cleaning all switches and pots with small amount of deoxit or contact cleaner may help channel problems. Take off front cover and spray small amount through tiny holes in switches and pots... Then work each one fully 20-30 times each. Wipe of excess!! As for the antenna you may be able to use longer screw and a couple washers as spacers in between. Good luck!!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?k3na1r
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.