Conion C100-F speaker replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschott93

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
Western Minnesota
I was listening to my Conion today and was wondering if the speakers are what they once were. After 28 years of pounding I know they can't be as tight as they were when new. Which brings up my question.... Has anybody replaced the speakers to this classic box? What will fit? Where do you go to find a good replacement?
I have been looking around and it looks to me like not many new replacement "boombox" speakers out there. If you want a all black speaker I guess you could find something but IMO a boombox speaker with out the chrome dust cap is just not right.

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Your woofers are 8". As for the dust caps, you could swap the new black caps with the chrome originals if you remove them very carefully. I don't know if you have ever been inside this box, but the speakers are buried pretty deep. If you're going to open her up, you may want to make a list of any other issues and repair them then, as the chassis will have to be removed. With a little time and patience, you'll be fine. Make that thing SCREAM! :rock:

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Also, you will need to take lots of pictures and notes to aid in reassembly. ;-) :yes:

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
One of the hardest things to do is make sure all the wired clips are clipped back on the right boards. Many of them are exactly same count/color wires and can be very confusing... Labeling them also aids in putting them back where they belong!! This was one of the downfalls of this bbx....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tschott93

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
Western Minnesota
I have had it apart and I used to do a little repair tech stuff for a old school Radio Shack. My big thig is finding the 8" speakers. I used to know of 3 or 4 places that had replacement parts for,,,, everything. All but two are out of business and they don't sell replacement speakers of any kind for small audio apps. Even Radio Shack used to have replacement speakers like this on the shelf, now you can't buy a speaker this big even in a speaker box.
I've looked at MCM Electronics and Parts Express and nothing.

Any Other Suggestions?

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
My Japan's are 5.4 ohm and my Korean is 6 ohm, yes..
Nobody probably sells a 5.4 woofer so we need to find a nice 6 ohm with low watts..:cool:
I was wanting to swap in Lasonic speakers, but was warned against it because they are 4 ohm

Jboogie2384

Member (SA)
Sep 30, 2010
Queens, New York
Parts Express will recone 8's with no problem. They will sound brand new and crispy. I asked if they did anything smaller but they never answered me. 😞

Jboogie2384

Status
Not open for further replies.