9292 and 9191, any real differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waypast10

Member (SA)
May 16, 2012
UK
hey, i'm looking at the sharp 9191, and then I saw the 9292, and then the 9191x/9292x
what are the differences between the models, is it just colour and aesthetics- most of the 9191 are's silver and the 9292 darker gray, but are there other differences, i can see the 9292 has electronic vu's, a different tape deck door and different speaker grills, but in terms of performance, any difference? and what's the X about?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
9292 has led meters, 9191 has needles, that's really the only significant difference I'm aware of

waypast10

Member (SA)
May 16, 2012
UK
thanks, so there's no other big differences, both boxes are the same size?

not sure which I like better, the led's or the VU's, might have to get both :p

waypast10

Member (SA)
May 16, 2012
UK
I heard from somewhere that the x designates 'worldwide', the 9191 has like 4 different versions for different countries, and the 9292 has just 2 versions, 9292 and 9292x

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
I'd say that 98% of the parts are interchangable between these two... I have both, here are my observations...

In addition to LED VUs, the GF-9292 also has a fine tuning knob in the center of the large tuning knob, which is missing from the 9191.

GF-9292 has chrome speaker caps, where my 9191HB has black caps in the middle of the woofers (at least mine does, check out the avatar). Not sure off the top of my head if the 9191X has silver woofer caps.

Also, the tweeter covers on my 9191 are made of plastic and have a circular pattern that kinda looks like an elaborate "cross-hair" design, like something you'd maybe see looking through a gun-scope or optical rangefinder, whereas the the 9292 has chrome mesh covering the tweets.

The 9191 was available in "X" (silver) and "HB" (black, or seriously dark grey) versions, but the 9292 was only available in silver, AFAIK.

They sound the same.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
To further complicate the situation, there is also the GF-305, which I believe was Japan-only. It features tweeters similar to the 9292, but needle meters like the 9191. It also has tape speed and echo sliders.

Stuntman Mike

Member (SA)
Sep 24, 2010
Germany
There is also a 9191H. It´s the silver Version of the HB. I have already seen a 9191 with fine tuning knob. I thougt, it was an X or E.

waypast10

Member (SA)
May 16, 2012
UK
jaetee said:
I'd say that 98% of the parts are interchangable between these two... I have both, here are my observations...

In addition to LED VUs, the GF-9292 also has a fine tuning knob in the center of the large tuning knob, which is missing from the 9191.

GF-9292 has chrome speaker caps, where my 9191HB has black caps in the middle of the woofers (at least mine does, check out the avatar). Not sure off the top of my head if the 9191X has silver woofer caps.

Also, the tweeter covers on my 9191 are made of plastic and have a circular pattern that kinda looks like an elaborate "cross-hair" design, like something you'd maybe see looking through a gun-scope or optical rangefinder, whereas the the 9292 has chrome mesh covering the tweets.

The 9191 was available in "X" (silver) and "HB" (black, or seriously dark grey) versions, but the 9292 was only available in silver, AFAIK.

They sound the same.
thanks for the info
it's the dark gray one I really like, seem rarer than the silver though

I think it was your 9191 that made me want one actually, beautiful box, and bigger than I thought, it always looks small in pics, but then I see it next to someone and it looks beastly

Reli said:
To further complicate the situation, there is also the GF-305, which I believe was Japan-only. It features tweeters similar to the 9292, but needle meters like the 9191. It also has tape speed and echo sliders.
the 305 is beautiful- it has basically everything I want, the 9191 grills, the 9292 tape deck door, and the needle meters
although i've read it's only 100v so not useable in the UK

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
waypast10 said:
Reli said:
the 305 is beautiful- it has basically everything I want, the 9191 grills, the 9292 tape deck door, and the needle meters
It is if you buy a step-down converter, they're pretty common on ebay for not much money

waypast10

Member (SA)
May 16, 2012
UK
Reli said:
waypast10 said:
Reli said:
It is if you buy a step-down converter, they're pretty common on ebay for not much money
i've never seen a 305 on ebay though, guess they're rare.

apparantly the 9191x has line in where as the 9191 has phono?

but it's possible to bypass the phono preamp (according to a thread on stereo2go), or use a phono to line converter

because we're going to be using these boxes to play DJ sets with (on battery but also on mains where we can get it) is it legal to use a step down transformer, will it still pass PAT testing for use in public spaces? I doubt anyone could answer that, guess i'll have to ask an electrician

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
waypast10 said:

but it's possible to bypass the phono preamp (according to a thread on stereo2go), or use a phono to line converter

because we're going to be using these boxes to play DJ sets with (on battery but also on mains where we can get it) is it legal to use a step down transformer, will it still pass PAT testing for use in public spaces? I doubt anyone could answer that, guess i'll have to ask an electrician
AFAIK, the 9191x has phono-in, not aux-in. You can use an inexpensive device called a phono-attenuator to plug non-phone line-level device into the phono connection. They cost around $11 from MCM electronics.

What kind of DJ setup are you looking to build using boomers? I've used the M90 and a Kaboom as a monitor setup before... it's not ideal, but it sounded pretty good and made for great conversations... But, I think you're much better off with a powered Mackie PA monitor.

Using most mid-size boxes like the GF-9191 to do any king of serious beat-matching mixes will probably be a huge disappointment for you. Depending on how much space you're trying to cover with sound, you'll probably need several boxes and an RCA signal distributor to have plenty of RCA outs to spread around.

Good luck!

Zippy

Member (SA)
Sep 21, 2010
Hannover, Germany
If you want to fill an open space with sound you'll definitely need more. I once used a GF-777 and a Telefunken 1M in a big storing hall, which worked pretty good. Maybe something like the Panasonic RX-A2 would be good. Or place your boombox in an underpass, it will do the trick :thumbsup:

waypast10

Member (SA)
May 16, 2012
UK
Zippy said:
If you want to fill an open space with sound you'll definitely need more. I once used a GF-777 and a Telefunken 1M in a big storing hall, which worked pretty good. Maybe something like the Panasonic RX-A2 would be good. Or place your boombox in an underpass, it will do the trick :thumbsup:
I tested the TDK 3 speaker boombox and it filled a large department store with sound, and that was just from an ipod, so a decent soundcard with proper line out rather than headphone out should go as loud but sound slightly better too (less distortion), not really that bassy though, and it choked with real deep sustained bass tones

most of the sets i'll be playing at are likely to be house parties, maybe in the backyard, maybe on some camping trips, so main room sound is probably not really required :p
but whatever I buy I'd like it to be more than a one trick pony you know- so I don't mind buying a boombox because I want one for personal reasons, where as buying a professional grade set of speakers is something I don't really want to spend my own money on, especially as I don't make any cash from DJing so it's just for fun (and because my friends have shitty music taste ;))

waypast10

Member (SA)
May 16, 2012
UK
jaetee said:
waypast10 said:

AFAIK, the 9191x has phono-in, not aux-in. You can use an inexpensive device called a phono-attenuator to plug non-phone line-level device into the phono connection. They cost around $11 from MCM electronics.

What kind of DJ setup are you looking to build using boomers? I've used the M90 and a Kaboom as a monitor setup before... it's not ideal, but it sounded pretty good and made for great conversations... But, I think you're much better off with a powered Mackie PA monitor.

Using most mid-size boxes like the GF-9191 to do any king of serious beat-matching mixes will probably be a huge disappointment for you. Depending on how much space you're trying to cover with sound, you'll probably need several boxes and an RCA signal distributor to have plenty of RCA outs to spread around.

Good luck!
you're right the 9191x is still phono, I don't know where I read that it was line.

You're right I should probably buy something more suited to the task, but I went to a pro audio store and checked out a roland battery powered monitor and it was just too boring to spend £300 on, i'd rather spend that on a boombox which might not sound as good, but can sit proudly in my bedroom, be my home stereo and be a portable speaker when I need it to be.

I am concerned the 9191 might be too small though, really need an m90 ;)

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
You should look into that modern era 3-speaker TDK . AFAIK, it has a 1/4" connector to use as a powered PA speaker, complete with the standard industry hole in the bottom that allows you to use PA system speaker stands. That one will hold up for use as a DJ booth monitor (or solo speaker for a small room) much better than any vintage boombox, and look great in you bedroom. They sound fantastic, which I say from personal experience listening to the one that belongs to our Hemiguy2006.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...by7T9H0Osid6AH4mJjBCg&sqi=2&ved=0CIoBEPMCMAE#

If you want to add a vintage boombox to that rig for sheer "coolness factor" then I'd recommend getting something along the lines of the Panasonic RX-5150 or RX-5050, which is plentiful, competent-enough, and not too rare or expensive... (ie. can be easily replaced).

Good luck!

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Yeah, a 9191/9292 is going to cost you at least $200 plus shipping on ebay........... and for only $100 more, you can get the TDK, which will absolutely blow the 9191 away (and probably every other 1-piece "retro" box from the 80's, with the possible exception of the Conion C-100)

Scotty_M

Member (SA)
Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane, AU
jaetee said:

They sound the same.
Old thread bump. :thumbsup:

The 9292 has a different handle to the 9191 as well as i noticed today.

Scotty

Status
Not open for further replies.