Using Map Gas to Adjust Azimuth on Deck 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
After finishing my Conion a few weeks ago, I realized I forgot to adjust the azimuth on the head on deck 2. I tried to live with it. I couldn't. I didn't want to remove the chassis again, no way, no how. Here's what I came up with:

I did this with a sacrificial jeweler's screwdriver, a pair of vise grips, and a small pair of pliers. And Map Gas.

Since they don't make right-angle jeweler's screwdrivers, I heated the donor driver with the gas (propane is too cold for hardened steel) and gave it roughly an 85 degree angle with a 5/8" clearance. Just enough room to clear the head and all the other potential crunch berries in there.

I made a mark on the adjustment screw with a Sharpie so I could confirm a 1/4 turn with each adjustment. Adjust, test, etc, etc.

Deck 2 now sings! :breakdance: Sorry the picture is lousy, but you get the idea. I figured I'd post this in case anyone else is having trouble with deck 2 and doesn't have the juice for a chassis extraction after a restoration. I didn't.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Here is the way I adjust mine. Easy as pie.

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

They have a hole in the Amp boards that allows you to adjust without making any new tools. Once you pop in a tape the screw lines up perfectly and is easily adjusted then.

I think this is the way they did it initially when put together as they manufactured it this way. I'm glad cause it would be a pain without these holes.

Hope this helps!!

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Ding! I just spotted the access hole last week in mine. I had to open it for a bad solder joint on a transistor that was giving me a nasty buzz in the right channel. I didn't have a #1 philips long enough to reach the head, though.

Transistorized said:
They have a hole in the Amp boards that allows you to adjust without making any new tools. Once you pop in a tape the screw lines up perfectly and is easily adjusted then.

I think this is the way they did it initially when put together as they manufactured it this way. I'm glad cause it would be a pain without these holes.

Hope this helps!!
It sure does! :thumbsup:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I've also learned the use of these secret holes.

Valve radios got some from teh rear chassis to access alignment on transformer cores.
They are all there for a purpose.
In some cases they are for alignment and in other instances for removing a mounting screw.
Recently I was working on a Nakamichi deck and I was struggling to find what is catching in the center area preventing me opening and accessing deck section. After a lot of nail biting and scratching in frustration I found a magic hole like this to reach a wicked screw there. Once I removed it I could remove that section easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.