panasonic rx 5050 cassette player not playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

stereomann

Member (SA)
Nov 17, 2010
MD
panasonic rx 5050
tape player rewinds fast fowards but the reels will not turn when i try to play a tape.
the capstan turns
all the belts seem to be ok on it

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Probably the idler wheel is either wornout or not engaging with the take-up reel hub. :yes: :yes:

Open up the front cover/panel of the reel hubs to get a better look at the transport mechanism. If the capstan is turning, there is a wheel that will come and engage to drive the take-up reel hub. When you press play, you can see this wheel coming and engaging.

stereomann

Member (SA)
Nov 17, 2010
MD
thats what is going on with it the idler is not going next to the reel and the idler is not turning
can a replacement one be ordered?

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm not sure where we can get those types. Is there a way you can replace the rubber on it? Just wondering! May be one of our members here knows where to find one like that. :yes: :yes:

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
Check the belts! :yes:
That model of deck is used on a lot of Panasonic boxes and it is fussy. :thumbsdown:
Just because the belts look good,doesn't mean they are not slipping....... :cool:
If the belts are loose the take-up idler will slip and eat tapes....... :annoyed:
Replace all the belts while your at it just to be safe....... :thumbsup:

Matrixambience

Member (SA)
May 8, 2010
Strasburg,PA
Easier said than done. Where do you get belts for the RX-5050? My RX-5055F model has a weak rewind mode, especially 90min. tapes. Any suppliers out there online? Talk about fussy tape decks...the GE's Blockbuster by far is the most troublesome.

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
Matrixambience said:
Easier said than done. Where do you get belts for the RX-5050? My RX-5055F model has a weak rewind mode, especially 90min. tapes. Any suppliers out there online? Talk about fussy tape decks...the GE's Blockbuster by far is the most troublesome.
Just measure them and order the new belts..... :w00t: :thumbsup:
Here......... :cool:
http://www.studiosoundelectronics.com/beltmeas.htm
I've done several RX5050's and my Panasonic RX-C45 and the Pioneer CK-3 mini comp which has a very similar deck. :yes:
Sorry,I don't remember the belt numbers though,doh! :dunce:

Status
Not open for further replies.